Site Sponsors

Thread: c-mount 50mm-ish lens w/ 43mm thread?

qwerty123

c-mount 50mm-ish lens w/ 43mm thread?

Can anyone recommend a c-mount prime lens for the GH1 in the 35 - 50 (even up to 80)mm range that:

(a) has no vignetting;
    (b) has a 43mm front filter thread;
    (c) has decent quality;
    (d) doesn't weigh a lot;
    (e) doesn't require alterations to work with c-mount adapter like this: http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapt.../dp/B003EAS5SM
    AND...
    (f) is priced under $200?

I don't care that much about maximum aperature, although the faster the better.

I checked some other threads on here, but couldn't quite find the info I was looking for.

Basically, I have an anamorphic lens with a back rear thread of 43mm that I'd like to attach to a c mount. Thanks!

This is my first post here. Thanks for any help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: c-mount 50mm-ish lens w/ 43mm thread?

most CCD c-mount filter rings rotate with the focus ring... Unless you opt for a cine lens...which will be out of your price range.

odds are that the conversion lens will cause unacceptable smearing...anyway
    Last edited by Y.B.Hudson III; 3rd August 2010 at 11:18.

qwerty123

Okay, that's good to know! So, I'm guessing something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_1764wt_882 won't work?

So how about we drop my last condition about price and think about a cine lens? Any recommendations there? Thanks for your help!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

For $200 you could get a good Jupiter-3, 39mm u4/3 adapter, and a 40.5 to 43mm step up ring. The J-3 is compact, and you will not get any vignetting. For a little bit more, get a Nikkor 5cm F1.4 in Leica Mount. It will focus to 18" and is very compact. Uses 43mm filters, and is on my EP2 now.

C-Mount lenses will cover 1" format at best. You will likely get some vignetting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
    For $200 you could get a good Jupiter-3, 39mm u4/3 adapter, and a 40.5 to 43mm step up ring. The J-3 is compact, and you will not get any vignetting. For a little bit more, get a Nikkor 5cm F1.4 in Leica Mount. It will focus to 18" and is very compact. Uses 43mm filters, and is on my EP2 now.

C-Mount lenses will cover 1" format at best. You will likely get some vignetting.
    Until the 1.3" and larger units show up on the used/surplus market. I would think a 35mm f2.0 would hardly vignette at all though. The Fuji 25mm f1.4 has modest vignetting. Its sharpness and contrast make it worth the use.

Post Thanks / Like

heLLo... the filter ring on fujinon c-mount lenses rotate with the focus ring...precluding their use with an anamorphic converter... *

* the J-3 doesn't rotate, but the J-8 does...

Post Thanks / Like

qwerty welcome!

Like RichA I think that lens you referred to would suffice. I understand all of the 2/3 lenses when over 25mm, do not vignette! The longer it is the less likely to vignette. Even 8mm lenses can do well, if in c-mount. There is a report here or on MF of a 40mm Zeiss 8mm lens that does a cracking job. I recently got a 75mm Cosmicar f1.9 for about $30, as part of a large lot. Bargains abound on eBay!
    Part of the fun, if you are of Von Masoch tendencies, is looking for the elusive lenses.