The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fujinon 12.5mm f1.4 CF12.5A modification

zcream

Hi guys. Just a mention that I am selling the modified 12.5mm Fujinon 1.4 lens. If anyone is interested in it, let me know. This is the fixed focus version as I took out the aperture blades to get improved low light. Then I could not put them back in.

Here are pics taken with the modified lens (I think I used the GH1 for this, could also be the GF1)

https://picasaweb.google.com/anmol.mishra/CF125A#

Cheers!

ekoe

Hello zcream and others.

As an update to this thread, I've developed a modification for the Fujinon-TV 12.5mm/f1.4 that results in near full sensor coverage of the m4/3 sensor in 4:3 mode. In 3:2 mode, there is just very slight vignetting. Focus marks remain the same, focal length remains the same, there is no softening of focus, just fuller coverage and less vignetting.

I started with the modification suggested by Vivek and zcream, and extended it to include a total of 12 adjustments. The result is near full coverage in 4:3 mode with less vignetting than many 25mm c-mount cine lenses provide. I've even managed a way to use the original front housing, so the modification does not appear much different than the original unmodified lens.

I am offering to perform this modification for others. Please PM me if interested. If you include your email address, I'll send along photo examples. :)

ekoe

Here's before and after examples of vignetting:

The finished modification:

And a couple example photos:

These are all taken with a GF1 in full sensor 4:3 mode, no cropping.

RichA

Centrally, they look good, but these lenses (I have a Cosmicar) at 12mm fall apart at the edges badly. It can make for some really interesting out of focus shots if the edges are out of the focal plane, you can get that weird spiral-looking pattern with light sources with some.

ekoe

That's true... they are soft around the edges. On m4/3 you're seeing practically the entire taking area of these lenses, and some degree of softness, color fringing seems inevitable on such a wide angle lens.

I don't know if the Cosmicar you have is for 1" video or not, but the Fujinon-TV lenses for 1" video tend to be very sharp (with the exception of the corners in the case of this 12.5/1.4), and also they don't have the swirly bokeh of many c-mount lenses.

Considering the trade off of speed and cost vs. the drawbacks of the kit WA lenses, I really don't mind a bit of softness in the corners. Actually, I like it. But then, I also like just a hint of vignette.

Last edited: