The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panoramas

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Jack,

this is really a stunning example of what one can get with a pretty "simple" camera and just handheld! Really!

Of course working it to TIFF and then play lot of registers in PS could add some quality, but I think another quality (a very important one indeed) is how one can get such results in a relatively easy way.

I think I need to shoot more in JPEG in the future as well and getting my new NEX I am very keen to see how the Sony Auto Pano function scales up to the demands we have here.

BTW - hope you enjoyed the wine in Spain as well ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Peter!

And this trip encouraged me to use the in-cam jpegs on my Panny cams at all times going forward. FWIW, I put some examples of the in-cam jpeg B&W in the B&W thread here in case you're interested -- these all from the GF1: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpost.php?p=235435&postcount=1155

We were only in San Sebastian for a day, driving down from Biarritz, and it was HOT. So at lunch we enjoyed some very cold local beer instead of the wine -- but I DO like Spanish reds and roses very much!

manouch shirzad

Workshop & Subscriber Member
This picture was taken a few months ago while I was in Washington DC, finally got a chance to put it together. 5x1x2 G1, ISO 200 Kit lens 20-45 at 45 mm, f/8, 4 Sec. Thanks for watching. C&C is appreciated.

Michiel Schierbeek

Here is one from Het Ij in Amsterdam just before Sail 2010 started to come in.
Should have done it in portrait mode to get some more height in the picture.
And it is to small to. Well my first attempt.
Michiel

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
This picture was taken a few months ago while I was in Washington DC, finally got a chance to put it together. 5x1x2 G1, ISO 200 Kit lens 20-45 at 45 mm, f/8, 4 Sec. Thanks for watching. C&C is appreciated.
Manoucher, EXCELLENT! Love the composition and lighting --- perfect panorama subject.

Jonas

The experiment

20 pictures in low res shot with Oly 50-200 SWD ( in 200 mm ) stiched togehter
"The experiement"...
I have done some experiemnting with close up multi row panos of small things. I have never been that happy with the results. What was your intention with this image and what do you think about the result (compared to just take one image with a short focal length)? Was it the shallow DOF or the high resolution you were after?

regards,

/Jonas

Hi everybody, this is my first post here

This panorama captures the buzz of the opening reception for a youth photography
Hi Manoucher, and welcome to the forum!

That's a nice image! I like to see so much going on in one frame. What projection did you use when stitching? There is no problem with the projection to my eyes but i wonder what it would look like with other settings.

This picture was taken a few months ago while I was in Washington DC, finally got a chance to put it together. 5x1x2 G1(...)
5x1x2? Is that 5 images from left to right, 2 rows I guess but then, what is the "1"?
And, to my eyes, and please not that I'm at work and the monitor here is not calibrated, the image is a bit bright. After playing a little with the image in Photoshop (lowering the shadows in curves, or dragging the gamma lever a bit) I think 2 seconds could have been enough. Maybe some bright parts would have been less blown that way at the same time as the background wouldn't suffer from getting a bit darker.

regards,

/Jonas

Hi Michiel,

You are good at giving critique to your own images... ;)
I have made quite some panos, good and bad ones. Now I always capture quite a bit more than I plan to include in the final image. That gives more freedom when picking parameters for the stitching and the later cropping. I probably don't need to say but anyway; I would have taken two rows with the camera in portrait mode here.

Cheers,

/Jonas

Leica 77

Michiel

Hi Michiel,
It is a great pano, Michiel. I can feel (see) the excitement of "Sail 2010" through your image. Best, Leica 77. :)

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi Michiel,

You are good at giving critique to your own images...
I have made quite some panos, good and bad ones. Now I always capture quite a bit more than I plan to include in the final image. That gives more freedom when picking parameters for the stitching and the later cropping. I probably don't need to say but anyway; I would have taken two rows with the camera in portrait mode here.

Cheers,

/Jonas
Selfcritique is pure selfprotection, I quess :rolleyes:

Two rows! Good idea, thanks Jonas. I noticed 5 in a row is sort of the maximum in PS photomerge in my experience. I actually shot 12 in a row 180 degrees.

Michiel

@ Thanks Leica77 for your kind words!

manouch shirzad

Workshop & Subscriber Member
Jack,

Thanks a lot for your kind and encouraging words.

What projection did you use when stitching
Jonas,

Thanks a lot, Equirectangular projection gave me the most natural look for that picture; if I get a chance I will try PT Assembler, which is more flexible and has more projections than PT Gui.

5x1x2? Is that 5 images from left to right
Sorry for the confusion. In fact I should have said 6 images in 1 row and 2 extractions with 3.5 EV difference, from each raw file. I made HDR and tonepapped in Photomatix from these extractions (off course it's not a real HDR). I will try to reduce the highlights but it also might have happened during the size reduction from 11000 px psd file to 1100 px jpeg file.

biglouis

I am really am pleased with the quality of the pictures in this thread and hope that more people will be inspired to experiment and post the results.

I'd also encourage people to play with Zoom.it - I am not in any way connected with the organisation but the ability to easily display very large panoramas and zoom the detail is very worthwhile. Details can be found in my original thread at the top.

LouisB

Gio

Last year I tried panoramas during the summer holidays in Crete. This is one of chania harbour. I added two from this year's holiday in Kos.

With Microsoft Seadragon you can also create zoomable Pictures:

http://seadragon.com/view/7ta

Regards
Johannes

Last edited:

scho

A three shot stitch with the G1-IR and Lumix 20 1.7. The local Island Health & Fitness Center "palace".

scho

From the new to old. This barn dates back to the early 1800's. Three shot (1:1 format raw with GF1 and 20 lumix) stitch and post processed as an antique plate image.

biglouis

Scho, I really like the results and treatment of your architectural pictures. The barn it particularly expressive. Well done.

LouisB

f6cvalkyrie

Lovely panos here.

I received my Fotodiox Nikkor to µ4/3 Pro adapter recently. This adapter has a shift mechanism built in, that is great for pano shooting.

This is an example, shot vertically, stitch of 3 pics with a Micro-Nikkor 105/2.8 on the G1. Stitching with Panorama Factory V5

C U,
Rafael​

biglouis

My latest effort composed of 3 photographs, taken on top of Trinity House in Whitechapel, overlooking Swanlea School and the Crossrail building site which is in the process of creating a new Crossrail interchange station in Whitechapel, London.

You can see the fullsize image via Zoomit - here

Panasonic GF-1 and Panasonic Leica 45/2.8