The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First post here

T

Top Cat

Hi folks

I have a couple of questions hopefully you can answer for me.
At the moment have a G1 and am thinking of getting the new G2, I like the idea of the movie mode and the repositioning of the control wheel. My question is I have read the new kit lens is not as good as one supplied with my G1 so was wondering if my G1 45-45mm will work on the G2. I also have the 45-200mm will this work or not. Are there any extenders for the 45-200 or a longer reach lens then 200mm that would still give my auto focus. Another quick one would the G2 14-45mm work on my G1 if I upgraded my wife could then have my G1.

Thanks

clay stewart

All Micro 4/3 lenses are interchangeable and will work with the different bodies. I don't know of a teleconverter though. Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Hi Top Cat

Remember that the 45-200mm zoom has an effective focal length of 90-400mm which is pretty darned long. What are you shooting that would require more than 400mm and is it moving or static. I have the 45-200mm and it is not as sure footed with respect to focusing as the kit lens (14-45mm) and therefore not as easily focused on moving subjects. The 100-300mm, scheduled to be released soon, will get you an effective 200-600mm which is way the heck out there.

Paul

Terry

Welcome Top Cat -

When I bought my G2 I kept the old kit lens (14-45) and sold the new 14-42. So you can split up the kit (just need to fully disclose). Also, Panasonic should be launching a 100-300mm lens very shortly (it's on the lens roadmap for 2010). I'm not sure how easy itnwill be to get really sharp photos hand held at an effective focal length of 600mm.

Godfrey

...wondering if my G1 45-45mm will work on the G2.
... I also have the 45-200mm will this work or not.
... Are there any extenders for the 45-200 or a longer reach lens then 200mm that would still give my auto focus.
- All Micro-FourThirds lenses work fine on all Micro-FourThirds bodies.

- There are currently no tele-extenders available designed to work with Micro-FourThirds lenses. They'd make your lenses pretty darn slow anyway.

- For longer focal length than the 45-200, you can use the Olympus ZD 70-300/4-5.6 lens in combination with the Panasonic DMW-MA1 mount adapter. It will autofocus on both G1 and G2 bodies, and nets not only a 50% reduction in FoV but near-macro focus capability as well.

In the near future, a Panasonic 100-300 lens will be available which will have OIS like your 45-200. I don't know whether it will have the near-macro focus capability of the Olympus FourThirds SLR lens, however.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The new kit lens is a 14-42 and all plastic, the old kit lens is a 14-45 and has some metal in it. All of your lenses will work on either camera, though I'd make sure all of their firmware versions are up to date for best performance and feature compatibilty. The old version is an excellent lens, the new version apparently variable; some are as good as the old versions, some aren't. I keep my old 14-45 in the bag and keep the new 14-42 in the box for the G2. My most used lens on the G2 is the 14-140 or the fixed 20mm, but I often mount the 14-45 for its small size and convenient range.

Re firmware updates, more info here: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index.html#step1

T

Top Cat

Hi again and thanks for all your replies.

I went to my local camera dealer this weekend and had a look at the G2 and very nice it was, but I have decided not to upgrade at this time. My main reason is although it was nice it is not that much of an upgrade sensor and image wise from my G1. I think my move will be towards new glass (Lenses) I will probably get the 7-14mm and have a look at the new 100-300mm when it comes out.
enjoy doing a bit of Bird watching in my spare time and would like to get some decent photos of the wildlife the 45-200mm does a nice job on larger birds but when cropping into the, smaller ones I loose the image quality so hope the new 100-300mm will get me that much closer I don’t mind the fact I will need to use a tripod I use one already.
I have heard and read quite a few reviews about the image quality of the 100-200mm but I must say I find mine very good if you shoot in raw and do some post processing in Photoshop,c ok it may not be so sharp at the image outer edges but I’m not worried by that it’s the subject in the centre I want to be sharp.

Ross (Top Cat)

Pat Donnelly

Hi Top Cat!
I would suggest you consider a manual focus lens: 500mm or 600mm (Mirror or catadiopteric) lens?
Tamron might be best. You can get better lenses, but it is widely available and a good example. As you use a tripod, you take some time to frame and focus already. The great advantage with MF lenses is the 7 or 10 times mag for focussing. The image would be twice the size of the 100-300, making up for any loss of quality.