The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1/GF1/GH! etc. Zoom question.

peterb

Which would be a better lens (optically) for the Lumix m4/3 series of cameras (I have the G1)?

The Lumix (Leica) f3.5-5.6 14-150mm that allows AF even with the adapter?

Or the Zuiko f2.8-4.0 12-60mm (which also needs the adapter) that is MF only?

AF is nice but not a deal breaker (I don't mind focusing manually). And while 150mm is nice I can get always get a nice Sigma f2.8 150mm prime (non AF).

Price, by the way, is also not an issue. I'm going for optimum optical performance (for the most part) over the range.

Also I know the Leica is apparently available only from vendors in Japan on Ebay. Again not an obstacle. (Of course if you know anyone in the U.S. who has them for sale, I'm all ears.)

Thanks

seakayaker

Which would be a better lens (optically) for the Lumix m4/3 series of cameras (I have the G1)?

The Lumix (Leica) f3.5-5.6 14-150mm that allows AF even with the adapter?

Or the Zuiko f2.8-4.0 12-60mm (which also needs the adapter) that is MF only?

Thanks
FYI - There is someone selling a 14-150, information can be seen in another post on this forum: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18389

There is also a Gear for Sale or Trade on this forum located here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29 where you may find the item you are looking for as well.

I do now about the differences between the two lenses mentioned.

I do own the Leica Lumix D Vario-Elmam 1:3.8 - 5.6 \14 - 50 ASPH. and sample photos can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26672618@N03/sets/72157623972893180/

I use the four/thirds Leica D lens with the GF! and the Panasonic Mount Adapter DMW-MA1 (MMF-1) which provides AF. I love the lens.

Good luck with your decision.

. . . . . and the Cape is wonderful place to shoot some photographs!

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Brian Mosley

The ZD 12-60mm f2.8-4 is the better performer across its range... and is also better built (weathersealed, bombproof) plus the focusing is manually linked - which feels much better than focus by wire.

Both lenses are classics - you should be very pleased with either option.

Cheers

Brian

peterb

Dan, thank you so much for your reply. Your shots with the Leica are very impressive.Also thanks for showing me the trade/swap section. And, yes, the Cape is an awesome place for shooting.

Brian, I've been secret fan of your photography since I joined this. I suspected the same thing, too...that the Leica offers a greater range and AF while the Zuiko offers better performance over its not-too-shabby range while offering a bit better build quality. But it seems like a win/win situation no matter which way I go.

Many thanks.