The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DIY: Grip for the G1/GH1

m3photo

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

On the front of the G1 there's a grip that comes free with the camera.

simonclivehughes

Hmmm, I'm not sure I see the point, or the need. Doesn't look comfortable. Looks like you've got to remove it to get at the SD card (not to mention the battery).

O

Olybold

.... On the front of the G1 there's a grip that comes free with the camera.
You used alraedy a G1 or GH1 with manual focus and havy lens?

If you take hold the Panasonic G1/GH1 solid with your right hand (especially plying with the left hand at the lens), you often push unmeant one of the buttons on the lower right side ot the camera.

To avoid this and to get more mass to grasp the device I build a kind of grip for my G1/GH1. Later I got a GH1 too, so I made some more variations.

Hmmm, I'm not sure I see the point, or the need. Doesn't look comfortable. Looks like you've got to remove it to get at the SD card (not to mention the battery).
It is very comfortable. You can rotate the grip 90° and than you can easily change the card or the battery.

Olybold

photoSmart42

If you take hold the Panasonic G1/GH1 solid with your right hand (especially plying with the left hand at the lens), you often push unmeant one of the buttons on the lower right side ot the camera.
Can't say I've run into that issue with either my G1 or my GH1. My GH1 sits quite comfortable in my hands, equally well with small and large lenses.

m3photo

Re: Pressing Unwanted Buttons

Yes I have. The more you use a camera (or any machine) the less you need to think about what to press and not to press as your hands and fingers do the remembering.
I'm not knocking your efforts; just overkill in my opinion.

B

bruce1s

Similar to the original poster, (and unlike most of the respondents to this thread) I too have been looking for solutions to my G1 "grip" problem. So, my hat is off to you OP. Excellent work. If I had your skills I would build one to my own design. I need at least one inch added to the bottom of the camera--and I have small hands.

If someone made a battery grip I would buy it immediately. I

If any readers have some suggestions on how to add an inch to the bottom please let me know. It doesn't need to hold batteries--even a solid wood design would work fine for me.