The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Evening Sun

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Summer's approaching its end, the light get's softer...

modified Quartz Soft Focus Lens
All three are lovely, Klaus. But number 3 is my favorite - with the complex bokeh structure mated with the structure of the flower. You are getting some good stuff out of that simple lens :thumbs:

Keith

kds315

Thanks Keith! This is the modified version of the original f1.0 25mm quartz singlet SF lens. But I agree, it is quite complex what you get out of it and even more complex to use - focus point is depending on aperture setting, extremely wide exposure range (I got me a variable ND filter just because of that) etc. But well worth working with "her" and understanding what "she likes" and what not ... my little diva with quite some personality ;)

The interesting thing is, that SF images split viewers not only into the love - hate group, but the lovers love very different aspects. Some prefer #1 because of the glow around a sharp center, some the inner glow of #3 and some, like you, the complex bokeh, yet sharp center. (Btw. #2 is nearly completely stopped down, so not much sf and glow is left), A few more are here: http://www.pbase.com/kds315/special_lenses&page=5

Here an even more complex results, shot partially against the sun with intended flare:

and here what I call "autumn approaching..." (close focus possible to about 3 inches)

Last edited: