The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nokton 25/0.95 samples

seakayaker

Amin thanks for the links and the three photos you attached, really enjoyed viewing all the photos taken with the 25/0.95!

. . . . . received email this evening from USPS Shipping Services that they have been notified of a shipment!

Looking forward to having this lens attached to my GF1 in just a few more days!

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

paparazzi666

I have been shooting this lens for few days now.
overall comments:
- its sharp at the center areas. comatic aberration appears around the edges.
- its performance wide open, central sharpness is better than the older nikon 50mm f1.2 or olympus 55mm f1.2.
- off bokeh is pretty good with only slightly bright edges around blurred highlights.

samples here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paparazzi666/5147846185/

- its a large lens as compared to similar c-mount lenses. thats the price to pay i guess.
- the corner performance is way better. corner light falloff is evident, but way better than c mount equivalents.
- shaprness in the corners and comatic aberration improves by f.14.
- its better at f1.4 than any 25mm f1.4 c mount lens.
- pictures wide open has the crispness, of a modern aspherical lens.
- overall i think its worth every penny.

Amin

I got a similar email :thumbs:. Unfortunately I am without a Micro 4/3 body until my GH2 arrives, so the lens will be useless to me for a short while unless I can find a way to cobble it to my GRD3 :rolleyes:.

Amin thanks for the links and the three photos you attached, really enjoyed viewing all the photos taken with the 25/0.95!

. . . . . received email this evening from USPS Shipping Services that they have been notified of a shipment!

Looking forward to having this lens attached to my GF1 in just a few more days!

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Amin

Work/family has been too busy for me to use my Nokton much, but I stepped outside for a few minutes today to give it a try on a GF1. This was wide open, and the bushes/trees behind my wife will harm the bokeh reputation of just about any lens you point at them:

I am impressed with the sharpness of this lens at f/0.95. Have a look at the fabric of my wife's scarf/shirt in the full-res version.

Jerry_R

Wow, thanks Amin!

Could you also put one sample - in vertical orientation, with whole person in the frame?

Is there any reason (like aberration) - that picture is B&W?
Or you just preferred us to focus on sharpness only?

Cheers,
Jerry

Jonas

Work/family has been too busy for me to use my Nokton much, but I stepped outside for a few minutes today to give it a try on a GF1. This was wide open, and the bushes/trees behind my wife will harm the bokeh reputation of just about any lens you point at them (...)
Thank you Amin.
If only possible, a similar image taken at f/1.2 and f/1.4 would be very appreciated.

regards,

/Jonas

V

Vivek

Thanks, Jerry. Nothing to do with aberrations - I just liked the B&W better. Here is the color:

I'll post a vertical full body portrait as soon as I can get a chance.

The boket looks jittery/nervous.

Anyone has checked to see if this is indeed an f/0.95 lens? I ask because, I have a few "f/0.95" lenses that appear to be at best f/1.1 or so.

Jerry_R

Anyone has checked to see if this is indeed an f/0.95 lens? I ask because, I have a few "f/0.95" lenses that appear to be at best f/1.1 or so.
Vivek,
I wouldn't be surprised if not. But in fact nothing wrong if wouldn't. Steve Huff tested and compared Nokton 1.1 and if I remember correctly - also found that speed of the lens expressed as f number not necessarily corresponds to exposure at its extreme. But eventual difference is so small...

But anyway, worth checking.

PS: in one of tests he even wrote: "The 50 1.1 Nokton has the look of a 1.4 lens"
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2009/11/24/leica-noctilux-classic-f1-vs-voigtlander-nokton-1-1/

ZoranC

Here is something I wonder about: Does anybody find this lens one step forward two steps back? I mean if we are getting m43 bodies to reduce size of gear why are we then putting humongous lens on it? Wouldn't we be better off with say D3s and 50/1.4G?

Martin S

I just want to thank you all!!!!!!! I just ordered one from Photovillage. Great looking Bokeh on the images downloaded by Amin.

Another expenditure.

Yikes, and its not even holiday time yet!!!!!!
Apparently, they are getting a fair number of inquiries, and maybe some sales other than me.

Martin

Jerry_R

I mean if we are getting m43 bodies to reduce size of gear why are we then putting humongous lens on it? Wouldn't we be better off with say D3s and 50/1.4G?
Zoran,
it all depends for whom, what system person has already, what carries in a bag, etc... Form one side - yes, better.

But using dSLR with AF and using this lens with MF are often two different experiences.

MF forces you to double think of framing, composition, etc.
Maybe not everybody, but at least me, and many Leica M users.

ZoranC

But using dSLR with AF and using this lens with MF are often two different experiences.

MF forces you to double think of framing, composition, etc.
Maybe not everybody, but at least me, and many Leica M users.
Nothing stops anyone from using AF system in MF mode, it's a flick of a finger away.

Jerry_R

Nothing stops anyone from using AF system in MF mode, it's a flick of a finger away.
Probably mostly psychology ;-)

I tried to focus manually with 5D II, I even bought dedicated brightscreen. And quickly quit.
It doesn't compare to "M" rangefinder or u43 manual focusing, in my opinion.

ZoranC

Probably mostly psychology ;-)
Probably.

I tried to focus manually with 5D II, I even bought dedicated brightscreen. And quickly quit.
It doesn't compare to "M" rangefinder or u43 manual focusing, in my opinion.
I don't have experience with neither M nor m43 but plan to change that soon (m43 wise). Still, I don't understand a point of putting humongous lens on body we got because it's small.

Jerry_R

Then closest alternative is cheaper 20/1.7 pancake.
Also very good lens, very sharp too.

Existing 25/1.4 (43 format) is not a pancake, rumoured u43 25/1.4 - won't be probably a pancake too.

V

Vivek

You would understand the reasons if you have had the misfortune of using the pseudo manual focus on m4/3rds.

On the size- how many 0.95 lenses do you know that are small? Unless special glass is used it won't come down in size while costs will be prohibitive.

Besides, the "micro 4/3rds" is only micro namesake. Check out the size of the Sony NEX5 (it is another matter it is of not much practical use:ROTFL:).

seakayaker

Here is something I wonder about: Does anybody find this lens one step forward two steps back? I mean if we are getting m43 bodies to reduce size of gear why are we then putting humongous lens on it? Wouldn't we be better off with say D3s and 50/1.4G?

. . . . . I have the 25/0.95 on my GF1 and do not find it humongous. The combo is comfortable in my hands and is lightweight when comparing it to a full size DSLR.

Floating Homes ~ Lake Union ~ Seattle, WA​

GF1 with Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f0.95 -- ISO 200 -- f0.95 -- 1/1300

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)