Site Sponsors

Thread: Panasonic 14-50 f/2.8-3.5 on a G1?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Panasonic 14-50 f/2.8-3.5 on a G1?

I am considering this lens as my only zoom lens for my G1. (unless a equivalent m4/3 one is introduced soon)

What I don't know, is, will I be able to use full AF modes, and, what about the Aperture ring? Shoot in "A" mode only? (which I prefer on all lenses anyway)

Witch Adapter should I get that allows the most compatibility?

Thanks for your advice.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Panasonic 14-50 f/2.8-3.5 on a G1?

You won't be able to have any AF functions with the Leica 14-50/2.8-3.5 zoom lens on your G1.

I have been using the Panasonic DMW-1 mount adaptor for my Leica 14-150/3.5-5.6 zoom lens, which retains the full AF functionalities on my GH1.

Kind regards,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dang
    Hope Panasonic has re-worked that lens for m4/3 cameras.....
    Time will tell.... under 7 weeks to go.. I think till Photokina.

It would be nice to have a faster alternative to the 14-45 slowish kit lens. I know that we (the more serious hobbyist), are not the main market, But, just saying

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Actually not so long. Sept 21-26

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M5-Guy View Post
    I am considering this lens as my only zoom lens for my G1. (unless a equivalent m4/3 one is introduced soon)

What I don't know, is, will I be able to use full AF modes, and, what about the Aperture ring? Shoot in "A" mode only? (which I prefer on all lenses anyway)

Witch Adapter should I get that allows the most compatibility?
    - This lens is only manual focus on G1/GF1/GH1 bodies. It will autofocus on G2/G10 bodies, and all the Olympus Pen bodies.

- The aperture ring, in M or A mode, overrides the on-body aperture setting control. It has un-used in other operating modes.

- The G1 supports all this lens' OIS modes.

- You want either the Panasonic DMW-MA1 or Olympus MMF-2 mount adapters. Pick which on price ... they're functionally identical.

It's a large and somewhat awkward lens on the G1; I almost never use it as a consequence. The focusing ring is rather narrow and not ideally placed for easy usability on the G1. I find using the 20/1.7 and 45/2.8 prime lenses are a better fit to the ergonomics of this camera than one big, heavy zoom like this.

An f/2.8-3.5 lens designed exclusively for Micro-FourThirds would likely not be too much smaller, but we'll see if they ever release one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    - This lens is only manual focus on G1/GF1/GH1 bodies. It will autofocus on G2/G10 bodies, and all the Olympus Pen bodies.

- The aperture ring, in M or A mode, overrides the on-body aperture setting control. It has un-used in other operating modes.

- The G1 supports all this lens' OIS modes.

- You want either the Panasonic DMW-MA1 or Olympus MMF-2 mount adapters. Pick which on price ... they're functionally identical.

It's a large and somewhat awkward lens on the G1; I almost never use it as a consequence. The focusing ring is rather narrow and not ideally placed for easy usability on the G1. I find using the 20/1.7 and 45/2.8 prime lenses are a better fit to the ergonomics of this camera than one big, heavy zoom like this.

An f/2.8-3.5 lens designed exclusively for Micro-FourThirds would likely not be too much smaller, but we'll see if they ever release one.
    That's what I thought.
    I have a 17, and may get the 45mm as a macro, my 50mm Zeiss C-Sonnar is a sweet portrait lens on the G1...
    But, if no better Quality kit zoom comes out this time around. Not sure which way to go... V/m43 25mm f/.95? or maybe a 25mm f/2.8 m/43 may be introduced. 20mm is just too close to 17mm But, it is a stop faster than the 17mm. I'd Like a nice 3 lens kit [17/25/50], (I have the 17 and 50 covered). So maybe the Voigtlander 25mm f/.95?..
    That would either give me a 2 MF lenses, and one AF (17) lens... Still a pretty good kit.

or a 2 lens kit with a fairly fast kit zoom. [17/14-45 or 50]. But having a AF kit zoom would be nice, just not sure if I want a f/3.5-5.6 right now.