The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RRS G1/GH1 L bracket, who has one?

MRfanny

Popped my head in the RRS site and was happy to see that they have now made a G1/GH1 specific L bracket. Just wanted to see if anyone on here is using one and how do they find it. Any ergonomic quirks? It looks like it lets the screen articulate like normal but wanted to confirm with someone that actually has one.

Also i just bought a tripod that came with a kirks BH-1. Will this fit onto the kirks quick release or will I have to get an RRS clamp? Will an acratech 2173 plate also fit on the kirk? This is my first ever clamp type QR.

cheers.

scho

Popped my head in the RRS site and was happy to see that they have now made a G1/GH1 specific L bracket. Just wanted to see if anyone on here is using one and how do they find it. Any ergonomic quirks? It looks like it lets the screen articulate like normal but wanted to confirm with someone that actually has one.

Also i just bought a tripod that came with a kirks BH-1. Will this fit onto the kirks quick release or will I have to get an RRS clamp? Will an acratech 2173 plate also fit on the kirk? This is my first ever clamp type QR.

cheers.
When I asked RRS about using this bracket on a G1 they said that they were not sure yet if either the G1 or G2 would work properly on the L bracket. This was over a month ago so perhaps by now they have checked this out. Ask to be sure.

MRfanny

interesting...i always thought the G1 and GH1 were the same body. it is listed specifically for G1/GH1 but will double check anyways.

leuallen

I emailed RRS. Here is the reply I got. Looks good to me. I never use those ports anyway. Larry

Quote:

We did not make the BGH1-L for the G1 but a few customers have given it a try. The following is a testimonial from a satisfied customer:

“I received my GH1 L-plate today and just tried it on my G1. The plate certainly fits well enough to be useful, but I can see one significant incompatibility with the G1: this body's HDMI and USB port flap opens in the opposite direction as the GH1 camera shown on your page:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=BGH1-L&eq=&Tp=

On the second large photo from that page, you can see that the HDMI port flap on the GH1 opens toward the front of the body; that flap opens toward the back on the G1.

Therefore, it is impossible to access either the HDMI or USB port while the plate is installed.

My eyeball tells me that the vertical center mark is aligned with the center of the lens mount, but I couldn't swear that it does.

Other than that, the plate fits fine, and is useful enough that I'm

keeping it.

Diane B

Thanks for that. I'm a longtime user of L brackets and have really wanted one for the G1 but, now, with new models i'm wondering if I should just hold off for now and keep using the AS type plate that I have. I know in the past with Canon that none of my L brackets ever worked on the next models and always required selling the old brackets and buying new ones.