The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Does GF1 G1 have fixed pattern noise like GH1?

MRfanny

I love my GH1, especially the video, but its a love hate relationship. Pictures are fantastic but the fixed pattern noise in underexposed areas/shadows just plain sucks. Even when I make sure i expose correctly it will pop up in some small area within the picture. It has become the one main factor that turns a great shot into a not so great shot.

What I'd like to know is does the GF1 or older G1 suffer from this fixed pattern noise also? I am seriously considering getting one of the two just for cleaner pictures because i have already invested in M4/3 glass and it is a heck of alot cheaper than going canon or nikon. I would much rather grain nose than FPNoise. Leaning towards the GF1 for travel size and video. What are your thoughts?

Is there a program that will turn the FPN to grain noise?

cheers.

V

Vivek

The G1, when it is hacked for IR, is truly fantastic (all the m4/3rds cams barring the GH-1 use the same sensor)!:thumbs:

I am waiting for the G3. If nothing shows up with some improvements within a reasonable time frame, I am quitting this format/mount altogether.

pellicle

Hi

I am waiting for the G3. If nothing shows up with some improvements within a reasonable time frame, I am quitting this format/mount altogether.
seems harsh ... I'd be pleased enough with some better (and better priced) lens options. I'm comfortable enough with the the G1 and myself don't find it a limit significantly. I would however like some better and more integrated MF lenses. For instance I would like to see some of the Cosina types of things in m4/3 and have integrated iris (meaning I can focus wide up and have it stop down on take just like the 4/3 lenses do and cameras have done since the 70's)

Actually I wouldn't mind some better AF lenses too, but I have this suspicion that its not possible given the system.

V

Vivek

Not harsh at all. Cosina coming into play is a welcome addition but without significance progress on the senor related issues, these endless varieties (both Pana and Oly) of various colored models being churned out is not a good sign.

We still have not seen a decent sized flash with a swivel head for the m4/3rds.

The 3D lens, Pellicle, could be an AF version and Pana could claim to be the producer of the first auto focus 3D lens! ;)

MRfanny

good discussion.

am i cursed with this GH1 of mine? Vivek, so i can assume the same IQ from both the G1 and GF1? If so I may just go with a GF1 if there is no added benefit from the G1? Silly question but with the IR conversion, does that mean I loose the ability to shoot colour?

V

Vivek

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19323

I am watching what might come out of GH-2.

If G1 to G2 is any sign, the number change may not do anything dramatically different except shifting the SD card slot around and adding a touch scream.

Pixel increase within a confined area- would that do anything for DR improvement? No.

Would Pana fix the "starry" sensor output? That is the key issue I am interested in more than a global shutter.

V

Vivek

good discussion.

am i cursed with this GH1 of mine? Vivek, so i can assume the same IQ from both the G1 and GF1? If so I may just go with a GF1 if there is no added benefit from the G1? Silly question but with the IR conversion, does that mean I loose the ability to shoot colour?
MRfanny, I have not seen anything better or worse regarding the G1, etc in terms of images quality, particularly the ones from IR conversion.

Do you lose the ability to shoot colour? You can shoot false colour IR which is mostly expressed in Blue and Red channels. B&W or monochrome images look better.

kwalsh

Two things

- No fixed pattern noise in G1, but more noise total and less DR (see DXOMark)

- If you aren't already using it, try the LR3 trial download. It for many cameras does a very good job with fixed pattern noise. I don't have a GH1 to try though.

Ken

MRfanny

thanks Ken, I can live with noise just not the hatched fixed pattern noise. That DXOmark is a cool resource.

Will have a look into LR3. Just had a quick play with topaz Denoise 5 and it seems to work well for subtle banding but when trying to get rid of heavy banding in the shadows and background the image looks quite artificial, plastic, especially on skin. I might not be using it correctly though.

Can someone with a GF1 chime in please.

Thanks.

pellicle

Hi

We still have not seen a decent sized flash with a swivel head for the m4/3rds.
that's a good point ... but its not where I am personally.

The 3D lens, Pellicle, could be an AF version and Pana could claim to be the producer of the first auto focus 3D lens! ;)
indeed ... and I have been considering that one (a friend has a 3D screen). It is rather a bit of a toy for me however. Perhaps things will change in the future.