The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IR Conversion DIY or Service

zcream

There are a few people here with IR converted cameras. Would you mind posting where you got it done, with pricing and a rating of the shop ? Also, is there anyone with a GF1 who would be willing to post a DIY Howto guide ?

Perhaps this thread could be an IR conversion FAQ.

greypilgrim

I used Precision Camera for my G1. They were a bit over $200. I do not remember the exact amount. I have been quite happy so far with the results.

Doug

zcream

Has anyone done the 665nm conversion that allows some visible light ? I am looking for a false color effect more than anything else, and it seems (from my limited knowledge) that the 715nm gives less saturation.

swandy

I used Spencer Camera in Utah. (http://spencerscamera.com/default.aspx) and was very happy with the price and turn-around time.
I did a 720nm conversion because I primarily wanted traditional B&W IR shots, but still wanted the possibility to work with the "faux color" in RAW.
I liked the idea of the full spectrum camera - because you can use it for "normal" shooting also, but did not love the idea of having to use different filters on all my lenses for different effects.
Some sample shots if you are interested.:
http://www.pbase.com/swandy/gallery/infrared_photography

Steve

V

Vivek

A few things to note:

1. False colors will be not so nice (as the linked "lifepixel" samples) with the Panasonic NMOS sensor (ie any m4/3rds cam).

2. Make sure you get the cam converted by someone who is capable of doing it in such a way that all lenses would focus to infinity and not just a few feet.

3. Stopping down a lens to "achieve" infinity is a bad idea with IR on a m4/3rds cam as at around f/5.6 you would start to see image degradation due to diffraction (yes, diffraction sets in earlier in IR).

zcream

Vivek, I wanted to convert the GF1 to shoot a film. The setting is in the future, a post apocalypse scenario. Instead of doing color grading, if I can get a different look in camera, its better for me.
Because there has been war, the composition of the atmosphere has changed, hence the light looks different, yada yada.

Is there a link to examples for "false color" from NMOS cameras ?

ekoe

What about using IR filters? I know the m4/3 sensor has IR filtration, but how much IR passes through?
I've just ordered two affordable (720nm and 960nm) IR filters from China to test, so I'm hopeful but I believe I'll be working with rather prolonged exposures due to the IR filtration of the sensor.
Any experience with these?

ekoe

I've just tested my GF1 with a remote control and I can see the IR emitted as a bright magenta, so I think the IR filtration might allow a workable amount of IR through.

zcream

Please post examples when you get them up. The remote may not be the best example as its a focussed IR beam - quite strong in the centre. IR light in the atmosphere may not be so focussed.

V

Vivek

False color samples (Sony CCD):

Nikon D80-IR (Hoya R72), 10.5mm fisheye Nikkor.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Nikon D80-IR, 18-55 kitzoom.

Although the color palette is similar with the NMOS sensor output, the colors are less vibrant and if you try (in the post) to make them look like the ones I show, they literally fall apart.

If you want nice false colors, buy a Sony (CCD) sensored, get it converted. They are very cheap and you get a Pentax, Sony, Nikon, etc brand.

zcream

Problem is that the choice for video cameras is much less. I cant get a Sony CCD camera comparable to the GH1 or the GF1. This is still pretty good, and I dont mind if the color saturation is less.

What conversion did you use for these pics ?

V

Vivek

What conversion did you use for these pics ?
Already stated.

Problem is that the choice for video cameras is much less. I cant get a Sony CCD camera comparable to the GH1 or the GF1. This is still pretty good, and I dont mind if the color saturation is less.
Even with no IR filter (after getting rid of the IR cut filter), you will never be able to get the colors one would from the Sony Bayer dyes. I am not sure if this is extendable to Sony's CMOS sensors (ie, NEX5, etc). If it works then you have a choice there.

Howard

Vivek,

All 4 ir photos are very nice especially. I really like the first and last photo you posted.

Last edited: