The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Olympus E5

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I miss Olympus, particularly their excellent build quality, and this seems to be an excellent camera. Not revolutionary in any way, and far to big of course, but I borrow the E-3 of a friend occasionally, and it's a very solid performer.

The biggest difference between camera manufacturers these days is the marketing budgets. Unfortunately, that's the key to success, not the quality of their products. We can only hope that we'll see brands like Olympus and Pentax in the future also.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
As always, I see absolutely no value in the "consensus of opinion" in on-line forums. Camera enthusiasts are the worst people in the world to depend upon when evaluating a camera.
Your ignoring the fact that you are a camera enthusiast as well and you are also forgetting who is buying this stuff. The Camera Enthusiast is the power of everything being made they are the market. Their opinion drives the market and products being made. Just simply no way of getting around this. Also if something comes out an it does not have some bells and whistles going on than sometimes it is just boring to people. Many folks want revolutionary products that make a upgrade more plausible,, if it is just a evolutionary upgrade it may not spur the market. Simply put people want stuff and I agree may not be the wisest move on their part given what it is but they may feel it is worth their money.

nugat

My current camera is D700 and assortment of primes.
I also have most of m43 bodies and glass. Plus M8 and glass.
I have been hoping for the past two years to unify and standardize my lot, sell two out of the three systems. Because of Zuiko SHG glass, the (m)43 Oly was the prime contender. I also like the Oly "look" best.
I was hoping for the E5/Zuiko system to serve me 3-5 years and:
-body cost not more than D700 (in Europe 1700 euro)
-have better resolution and comparable IQ (DR, color , noise) to D700
-be a bit smaller/lighter (10-20%) than Nikon
...then I would go for it. So far price and size are on the spot. Let's wait for IQ tests. Somehow I am not holding my breath any more after learning about the 2 year old sensor (not the 12 MPix--this is really enough, and only 25% less lw/ph resolution that FF 24Mpix).

Jonas

I'm still puzzled.
The E-5 doesn't seem to offer anything more but a so-so update of the E-3 plus adding the standard video capability.

The camera has the same size and weight as a FF camera, it costs nearly as much, the SHG lenses are also the same size and weight as FF stuff, just more expensive, it's built on last year's technology. This won't make many enthusiastic.

The camera is aimed for the camera enthusiasts more than to professionals or newbies - so the target group is well aware of what's offered by other companies. Will anyone at all not already owning 4/3 lenses buy it? I don't think so.

I feel a bit sorry for current Oly users. I just noticed the new Nikon offer called D7000. Guess which camera anyone looking for an advanced DSLR is looking at today?

I predict a quick price drop and then a system drop.

clark666

I wonder whether someone will introduce lens adapters so that our 4/3s lenses can be used on something like the D7000? I have EOS and 4/3s systems and would like to be able to use my 4/3s lenses again. I currently have an E620 so won't be buying the E5 unless Olympus has some way of increasing resolution tremendously? Perhaps there is something in the way of HDR processing that will provide what the sensor can't?

photoSmart42

I wonder whether someone will introduce lens adapters so that our 4/3s lenses can be used on something like the D7000?
The flange distance for 4/3 lenses is 38.67mm, while the Nikon is 46.50mm. You can mount Nikon lenses to 4/3 systems, but not the other way around. Not going to work. Perhaps once Nikon comes out with a compact DSLR or some mirrorless solution it would be an option, so long as their flange distance is at least 3mm less than the 4/3 system.

Jonas

(...)Perhaps once Nikon comes out with a compact DSLR or some mirrorless solution it would be an option, so long as their flange distance is at least 3mm less than the 4/3 system.
Most 4/3 lenses focus by wire and all of them have an electronically controlled aperture mechanism. So, with the electronics needed there is a slim chance only.
But one should never say never. Such an adapter would give another system a flying start lens-wise.

Terry

There is nothing stopping Olympus from making a mirrorless camera in a dslr format that fully utilizes their excellent lens line up. They could make a camera like the Sony A55.

Godfrey

Your ignoring the fact that you are a camera enthusiast as well and you are also forgetting who is buying this stuff. The Camera Enthusiast is the power of everything being made they are the market. Their opinion drives the market and products being made. Just simply no way of getting around this. Also if something comes out an it does not have some bells and whistles going on than sometimes it is just boring to people. Many folks want revolutionary products that make a upgrade more plausible,, if it is just a evolutionary upgrade it may not spur the market. Simply put people want stuff and I agree may not be the wisest move on their part given what it is but they may feel it is worth their money.
I never forget that I am also a camera enthusiast and work hard to make sure it does not influence my objectivity as a photographer. Cameras are nothing but the tools to do my photography. Period.

As a photographer, the only voice from which I speak in this or any other forum, I don't care about what "drives the market" or "bells and whistles" that I don't need to do my photography. I care about sensible, well-reasoned, ongoing development of cameras that add value to my work.

If you prefer to be bidden by vox populi, fine. It is of no interest to me.

Godfrey

... The camera is aimed for the camera enthusiasts more than to professionals or newbies - so the target group is well aware of what's offered by other companies. ...
I disagree completely with this notion.

This camera is the professional grade model for working professional photographers using Olympus equipment, of which there are many. Olympus has a good-sized professional following, they just aren't the "celebrity photographers" whom Nikon and Canon have chosen to market as using their products.

Plenty of enthusiasts and advanced amateurs use Olympus gear too. But this camera is targeted for professional use, and is quite well suited for it. Not for everything, of course ... but then no camera is suited for every kind of use.

Godfrey

There is nothing stopping Olympus from making a mirrorless camera in a dslr format that fully utilizes their excellent lens line up. They could make a camera like the Sony A55.
I agree.

Some thought the E-5 might be that camera, a pro-grade mirrorless camera, but I didn't think it possible given the development time necessary for such a product. The G1 took six years to bring to market.

Guy Mancuso

I never forget that I am also a camera enthusiast and work hard to make sure it does not influence my objectivity as a photographer. Cameras are nothing but the tools to do my photography. Period.

As a photographer, the only voice from which I speak in this or any other forum, I don't care about what "drives the market" or "bells and whistles" that I don't need to do my photography. I care about sensible, well-reasoned, ongoing development of cameras that add value to my work.

You obviously missed the whole point but never mind not going to go round and round on this with you. The market simply is driven by hobbyist and if OEM's do NOT pay attention to what they want there is no market. The Pro market is MAYBE 1 percent of sales for Canon, Nikon, Olympus that is how small we are to them. I use a MF cam and even in that market the Pro's do not make up the majority of sales. Okay back to work for me

Jonas

I disagree completely with this notion.

This camera is the professional grade model for working professional photographers using Olympus equipment, of which there are many. Olympus has a good-sized professional following, they just aren't the "celebrity photographers" whom Nikon and Canon have chosen to market as using their products.

Plenty of enthusiasts and advanced amateurs use Olympus gear too. But this camera is targeted for professional use, and is quite well suited for it. Not for everything, of course ... but then no camera is suited for every kind of use.
I'm sure you disagree. And as "many" is relative you can safely do so. Maybe the situation is different in the western parts of the USA than here. I haven't met a single professional using Olympus here.

What about this one:
Will anyone at all not already owning 4/3 lenses buy it? I don't think so.
Agree? Disagree?

/Jonas

kwalsh

I

Well, I guess you'll eventually discover no one makes a camera for you. They make a camera for a market. The smaller that market, the more expensive the camera. The faster that market declines, the less likely there will be another camera for the system. If you do in fact "care about sensible, well-reasoned, ongoing development of cameras" then the reaction of the market and not your personal feelings play the dominant role. That is what everyone is telling you and you refuse to hear.

I understand what you are saying, as a particular individual you primarily care about what the camera does for your photography. That is really all that should matter in an individual's purchasing decision. In that context, why even bothering contributing to this thread - no one cares but you and you already own a camera system that does a functional job. No further discussion needed, go out and take pictures.

What many others here are discussing is what the impacts of the market reaction to the E-5 will be on there ever being another camera beyond the E-5 or any further lenses for this system. Belittling those looking further ahead than you with trite lines like "bidden by vox populi" isn't adding to the discussion, it only reflects negatively upon yourself.

Godfrey

You obviously missed the whole point but never mind not going to go round and round on this with you. The market simply is driven by hobbyist and if OEM's do NOT pay attention to what they want there is no market. The Pro market is MAYBE 1 percent of sales for Canon, Nikon, Olympus that is how small we are to them. I use a MF cam and even in that market the Pro's do not make up the majority of sales. Okay back to work for me
I didn't miss your point. I don't care about your point: it's not important to me as a photographer, and I'm not a marketing analyst. Nor do I enjoy a hobby as a market analyst.

I don't pick equipment for my work based on what the hobbyist marketplace likes. I pick equipment for my work based on what I find works well for it.

If Olympus equipment dead-ends tomorrow, for the work I'm doing now it will continue to be perfectly functional and return an income for several years to come. When I need new equipment for something beyond what it can do, I'll evaluate what's available at that time, pick what suits me, buy it and use it.

I don't care what brand that is. I don't care what happens to the brand I currently use. I care about the photography.

Last edited:

Godfrey

I'm sure you disagree. And as "many" is relative you can safely do so. Maybe the situation is different in the western parts of the USA than here. I haven't met a single professional using Olympus here.

What about this one:
Will anyone at all not already owning 4/3 lenses buy it? I don't think so.
Agree? Disagree?
No opinion. I don't care about that.

I know quite a large number of professional photographers using Olympus equipment. I believe the Olympus professional services organization in the United States has over 2000 members, and to be a part of that organization requires you prove to them that you make more than 70% of your income using Olympus camera equipment.

While a drop in the bucket compared to the enthusiast marketplace, that's quite a solid professional group.

Godfrey

... What many others here are discussing is what the impacts of the market reaction to the E-5 will be on there ever being another camera beyond the E-5 or any further lenses for this system. ..
So what you're implying is that the community here is a group of market analyst hobbyists rather than a group of photographers. Perhaps you're right then: there's no point to having this discussion here.

I'd rather converse with photographers.

Guy Mancuso

Well, I guess you'll eventually discover no one makes a camera for you. They make a camera for a market. The smaller that market, the more expensive the camera. The faster that market declines, the less likely there will be another camera for the system. If you do in fact "care about sensible, well-reasoned, ongoing development of cameras" then the reaction of the market and not your personal feelings play the dominant role. That is what everyone is telling you and you refuse to hear.

I understand what you are saying, as a particular individual you primarily care about what the camera does for your photography. That is really all that should matter in an individual's purchasing decision. In that context, why even bothering contributing to this thread - no one cares but you and you already own a camera system that does a functional job. No further discussion needed, go out and take pictures.

What many others here are discussing is what the impacts of the market reaction to the E-5 will be on there ever being another camera beyond the E-5 or any further lenses for this system. Belittling those looking further ahead than you with trite lines like "bidden by vox populi" isn't adding to the discussion, it only reflects negatively upon yourself.
Exactly and well said and I am being a good boy about that comment as well as another. :D

Godfrey of course it is always about what you want and same with everyone else. Problem is your needs may not fit what sells and without sales it is never going to go any further in the market or nothing will be produced which may fit your needs. Oly will not make camera's that the majority will not buy. I don't want 99 percent of what is made out there either but it is not about ME or YOU it is about what sells. That is what everyone on this thread is saying but you stubbornly think it is about YOU. Sorry bud no one is going to make what you want, you have to decide what will work and what will not just like everyone else. There simply may come a time when whatever is out being made will not fit your shoes. Adjust or get out of the game.

Godfrey I'm a working Pro for 35 years and trust me their has never or will their ever be a camera that totally fits my needs and i tried them all. Its like marriage you have to settle in and make compromises.:)

This new cam is simply not blowing many folks skirt up. Nothing wrong with that but it may not sell as well.

Before this gets out of hand lets get back to the cam itself folks.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Olympus have shown many times that they are willing to take a chance on a product that talks to a dedicated few rather that the market as a whole. If one looks at one product only, it may look like a failure, but this exercise has been repeated so many times now that I suspect it's simply the way they run their high-end business. They obviously must know that there's no way the E-5 will compete commercially with a Nikon D7000 or a Canon 7D.

But they do have a following, and if I could afford an additional system, I would buy one too, simply because there's nothing out there at this price point that can challenge the ruggedness an reliability of the Olympus cameras, and I'm talking from experience. I don't treat my cameras nicely, and most of them have had several visits to various service departments. The exception was the E-1 that needed a serious motorbike accident to stop breathing (I landed on the camera, breaking my collar bone in the fall).

If a large share of my photography was rain forest/offshore/mountain climbing etc., I would clearly have an E-5. If it was smaller, like a K7 or a D7000, I would consider it for travel, but unfortunately, it's almost the size of a D700. That is something that I can't really understand. Why can't Olympus make a weatherproof E-620 with a large viewfinder?