The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

14mm f2.5 soon!

aleksanderpolo

Let's see how many times Panny need to cover 14mm:
7-14
14-42
14-45
14-140
While they are at it, maybe they can bring out some 14/2.0, 14/2.8, 14/3.5, 14/4.0 just to cover all the grounds? /rant

Terry

7-14
14-42
14-45
14-140
While they are at it, maybe they can bring out some 14/2.0, 14/2.8, 14/3.5, 14/4.0 just to cover all the grounds? /rant
While I agree it is a well covered focal length, there is a group of people who want to use the GF1 or similar camera with a few small prime lenses. I could see a good fast portrait lens in the mix and people would have a 14, 20, and TBD for a three lens kit

aleksanderpolo

While I agree it is a well covered focal length, there is a group of people who want to use the GF1 or similar camera with a few small prime lenses. I could see a good fast portrait lens in the mix and people would have a 14, 20, and TBD for a three lens kit
I agree that a small prime is attractive, but it is still partially overlap with a well covered 14/3.5 and up. I am hoping for a 12mm prime, but looks like it won't happen. Hope that Oly will bring it out instead of repeating the "let's make two 8mm fisheye" episode. :deadhorse:

apicius9

Owning the 14-140mm and the 14-45mm, I'm completely indifferent to this one, even though I like to see good primes in general. Much more interested in the stabilized 100-300mm, but looking at the price for the Olympus long zoom I have a feeling that the Panny one will be out of my range for an occasional-use lens.

Stefan

V

Vivek

I would like to see a 7mm f/2, 9mm f/2, 10.5mm f/2, 12mm f/2, etc.

NO zoomz. Leave that to Olympus. :ROTFL:

apicius9

No more zoomz after the 100-300mm, I promise :) My Telyt 250 is too heavy to shlepp it around with the GH1 all the time...

Stefan

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I need to cover the distance like...

12 f1.4 13 f1.7 14 f1.7 15 f1.2 16.f2.0...17 & 20 I have but seriously need an upgrade for them also...
I'm unsure about the 18 & 19 as this will be to many in my pocket at one time...afterall, I'm a streetshooter and must be prepared...

M5-Guy

I'll sound in too I suppose...
I'd like nothing but primes for my G1...
I have the 17mm now, so a 14mm is welcome, so would be a 25/2.5. typical 3 lens with a fov of 28/35/50...I have a 50mm Zeiss I use as an outstanding fast medium Tele.
Although, I'd prefer a 12/2.5, the 14 is OK too.

If I got a zoom.... 14-45 f/3.5 ASPH constant $700.00

Now to introduce a 3 lens Kit...... 14/18/25, all f/2.5.... at a boxed set price of $1,200.00 would work too... But the Build and IQ must be outstanding, NO Consumer grade compromise over Build/IQ, but a good cut above... All ASPH designs. All Metal mount and casing. (you can purchase seperatly at $450.00 each). Just saying, :toocool:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Now to introduce a 3 lens Kit...... 14/18/25, all f/2.5.... at a boxed set price of $1,200.00 would work too... But the Build and IQ must be outstanding, NO Consumer grade compromise over Build/IQ, but a good cut above... All ASPH designs. All Metal mount and casing. (you can purchase seperatly at $450.00 each). Just saying, :toocool:

Come on....you don't like nice plastic lenses for $500.00+
They actually bounce better than my Leica lenses...that's a plus...right?

I can't wait till the new 35 Plasti-Cron comes out for the M9.

clay stewart

7-14
14-42
14-45
14-140
I have the perfect solution...... Get rid of your zooms. You don't need no stinkin zooms.:ROTFL: Like Terry said, this and a real portrait lens and I'd be set.:)

Rawfa

I agree that a small prime is attractive, but it is still partially overlap with a well covered 14/3.5 and up. I am hoping for a 12mm prime, but looks like it won't happen. Hope that Oly will bring it out instead of repeating the "let's make two 8mm fisheye" episode. :deadhorse:
Even the Oly collapsible zoom doesn't make a 14mm as portable or fast as this pancake. Like Terry said, this IS a very welcome addition for people who use the GF1/EP1...although I do understand it not being as attractive for people who use the less compact micro 4/3 cameras like the G1, GH1 and so on. I'd have been more excited if it had been a 12mm or if it was like an f2.0 but I'm still more excited about this lens than I was about the 20mm f1.7 and the 17mm f2.8. This is my favorite FOV and I''m sure I won't take this lens out of my GF1!

Rawfa

Since when Pana start making lenses for GF! only?
Since the marketshare over the last couple of years has proven that there is a lot of money to be made with compact combos (weather it pleases classic photographers or not). Plus it's not just the GF1, it's the EP1, EP2, ELP1.
Anyway, I'm extremely happy with this release and wishing they keep this strategy for a long long time.

V

Vivek

I am not privy to any market data (not that I care about it) and have no interest in the GF or Ex type cams as I am not a contortionist- I do like to use the portrait orientation, not only at eye level, for actual photos.

Once a high end mirrorless cam with swivel LCD (Canon?) hits the market, it will truly get exciting.

photoSmart42

I suppose I haven't truly committed to the MFT format just yet since I don't own a bunch of system lenses aside from the two kit lenses and the 20/1.7 which I picked up for cheap. I'm committed to some sort of system with a small flange distance that allows me to fit all the MF lenses I've acquired, and I sure like my GH1 for what it does, but I'm waiting to see what else comes out before I commit to one system or another.

To me this lens doesn't do much, certainly not enough to warrant my spending $500 for it when it comes out. The only lens I really need for this system right now is the 7-14 because I can't get good UWA shots right now with my current setup (can get to 10 with my WA conversion on the 14-140 in 16:9 mode, but that's about it, and it's not perfect). Still haven't decided if I want to invest the $1000 for that one. An UWA prime that's not a fisheye and doesn't cost $1000 would be great - something in the 7/2.8 or 8/2 range would be awesome, even if they're a bit larger.

aleksanderpolo

I suppose I haven't truly committed to the MFT format just yet since I don't own a bunch of system lenses aside from the two kit lenses and the 20/1.7 which I picked up for cheap. I'm committed to some sort of system with a small flange distance that allows me to fit all the MF lenses I've acquired, and I sure like my GH1 for what it does, but I'm waiting to see what else comes out before I commit to one system or another.

To me this lens doesn't do much, certainly not enough to warrant my spending $500 for it when it comes out. The only lens I really need for this system right now is the 7-14 because I can't get good UWA shots right now with my current setup (can get to 10 with my WA conversion on the 14-140 in 16:9 mode, but that's about it, and it's not perfect). Still haven't decided if I want to invest the $1000 for that one. An UWA prime that's not a fisheye and doesn't cost $1000 would be great - something in the 7/2.8 or 8/2 range would be awesome, even if they're a bit larger.
+1, I have the 14-45 and for me the question is: Is the ability to shoot 1 stop faster with a smaller package worth spending ~$400+, and the answer for me is no. If it's a 12mm, then it would have been a different story.

By the way, there was a promotion on adorama, M.Zuiko 9-18 for $529 total, the lens was on backorder and so I am still waiting for it to ship.

apicius9

I totally agree with the last two posts. I'm happy with the GH1, it's kit lens, the 20/1.7, and a bunch of legacy lenses. I have always been more interested in longer lengths(that's why I'm interested in the 100-300, just to have that option) than in wide angle shooting, so there is a limit to what I want to spend on a super wide or even a wide angle lens. I have the same WA converter as Dragos and the little 12.5mm Computar, those two cover most of my needs for now until something affordable and 12mm or shorter comes along. What I am hoping for most is a smaller camera that I can use for my c-mount lenses, I just don't really like the external viewfinders and want to see what the next few weeks bring. I dont really care who makes it, but a small camera with a viewfinder that performs on GH1 level and let's me use my small 10/1.6 Switar will definitely get my vote (and money).

Stefan