Site Sponsors

Thread: G2 wireless flash

sagarmatha

G2 wireless flash

Is it possible to do wireless flash (FL360) with G2?
    If not is there any flash cords made for the Lumix series or is it ok
    with another brand?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: G2 wireless flash

There are aftermarket TTL flash chord you can buy which should work as long as they're compatible with the Panasonic/Olympus TTL protocol. I just picked one up off eBay for cheap. AFAIK none of the Panasonic MFT cameras have a wireless flash trigger built in, but you can attach a remote trigger to your hot shoe and do your triggering that use using remote slaves. You can also remotely trigger flash units using optical slaves triggered by your camera flash.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    There are aftermarket TTL flash chord you can buy which should work as long as they're compatible with the Panasonic/Olympus TTL protocol. I just picked one up off eBay for cheap. AFAIK none of the Panasonic MFT cameras have a wireless flash trigger built in, but you can attach a remote trigger to your hot shoe and do your triggering that use using remote slaves. You can also remotely trigger flash units using optical slaves triggered by your camera flash.
    You can also use Canon TTL flash cables. While Canon TTL flash protocol isn't the same as Olympus TTL protocol, the cabling is wired the same way. Canon flash cables are more easily found than Olympus flash cables.

I have an Olympus coiled flash cable (2m length) and a noncoiled 3.5m cable I found on Ebay. Both work very well.

Another strategy if you're handy with soldering is to acquire an Olympus flash cable, cut the ends off and fit them with RJ45 female sockets. Then you can use standard ethernet cables in a variety of lengths to connect the two ends and come up with nearly any length you want.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    You can also use Canon TTL flash cables. While Canon TTL flash protocol isn't the same as Olympus TTL protocol, the cabling is wired the same way. Canon flash cables are more easily found than Olympus flash cables.

I have an Olympus coiled flash cable (2m length) and a noncoiled 3.5m cable I found on Ebay. Both work very well.
    Good to know. Thanks!
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

sagarmatha

Post Thanks / Like

You get a hot shoe adapter for the flash end of the chord so you can screw it into the threaded base, then insert that into the hot shoe mount on the bracket. Something like these two:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flash-Hot-shoe...item414c02723f

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-4-20-Tripod-...item45f4cb1046
    -Dragos

sagarmatha

Thanks for the links!