Site Sponsors

Thread: test shots with new panasonic 100-300 and 14

Post Thanks / Like

test shots with new panasonic 100-300 and 14

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: test shots with new panasonic 100-300 and 14

Only looking at the small images but I don't see anything to complain about from them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, I especially like the 14. Too bad it wasn't just a bit faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, the 14mm is as small as the 100-300mm is big! Interesting to see them both on the GF1. The telephoto looked great in the first two, although the bokeh looks pretty busy in the third.

The 14mm is a cute lens--I'm sure a lot of people will like it. It's a bit too close to the 20mm for me to pick up though. It would pair well with the upcoming 25mm f1.4 that Panasonic alluded to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    Wow, the 14mm is as small as the 100-300mm is big! Interesting to see them both on the GF1. The telephoto looked great in the first two, although the bokeh looks pretty busy in the third.
    +1. Not sure I like the bokeh on that 100-300 all that much. Looks a bit like the bokeh from a mirror lens. If that's the case, it's a disappointment since I've been waiting for that lens with great anticipation.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Post Thanks / Like

I like the look of the 14/2.8 shots a lot more than I thought I would. The sheer convenience of its size is quite compelling.

And I think you could have a lot of 'fun' with the 100-300 if you were selective about what you do and realistic about the results.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I like the look of the 14/2.8 shots a lot more than I thought I would. The sheer convenience of its size is quite compelling.
    I'd like to see more images, especially full frame at f2.8 and then f8. I agree, the size and focal are compelling toward a "3 primes" kit... I'd love a really fast 40 too --- like a 1.4.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Man, the 14mm is REALLY small. What a great combo it will make with the GF1.
    I'm not a super zoom/tele kind of guy but lately I've been taking pictures in the wilderness and these long teles are a must have for situations like this.

Post Thanks / Like

certainly it makes the GF with the 14 much better (read pocketable) than it is with the 14-45 ... with the 20mm and perhaps a Pentax 110 50mm for something more tele it would make for one very compact high class system

Post Thanks / Like

of course the thing which keeps bothering me is that the price is above what I feel comfortable with. I can buy a new EOS 28mm f2.8 for US$244 (190Euro), while this little fella is around 50% more expensive (if we come close to the 349Euro).

I just wish we didn't have to pay more for the choice to use the 4/3 camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    of course the thing which keeps bothering me is that the price is above what I feel comfortable with. I can buy a new EOS 28mm f2.8 for US$244 (190Euro), while this little fella is around 50% more expensive (if we come close to the 349Euro).

Well said!

The lens is awesomely cute and the specs look fantastic but it is only an m4/3rds lens and the price tag is toooooooo steep.

Panasonic may consider this to be cheap compared to their toy, fixed focus, stereo lens cap 12.5/12.

The Olympus-D 17/2.8 has seen a steep decline in prices. Pana prime list prices should come down by ~30-40% to make them attractive.

Pana should realize that they are not targeting Leica collectors.

I think, by next year, we will see a steep decline in prices due to competition from others.

Sony already have a top notch sensor in the mirrorless area. M4/3rds isn't the only one around anymore.
    Last edited by Vivek; 25th September 2010 at 03:35.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just dying for more companies to jump in the micro 4/3 system so that Pana will come to it's senses price wise. Sigma has four thirds lenses, so it would not surprise me if they hopped on this boat. I would actually be very happy with a micro 4/3 version of their 18-50mm constant 2.8.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Well said!
    thanks To be honest I was expecting to be howled down by the retired gentry who have funding to afford that and more.

The lens is awesomely cute and the specs look fantastic but it is only an m4/3rds lens and the price tag is toooooooo steep.
    The lens is cute, and very attractive. However not having OIS and being only 1 stop faster than the 14-45 kit + needing to change lenses (compared to the kit 14-45 which I can leave on for wide / normal / tele it seems a high price to pay for nothing significant.

I mean, turn this around 40 years and people who only had 28mm and 50mm prime lenses on their Pentax ME Supers (I picked a compact 35mm slr which was quite popular) were very very pleased to get a 28-70 zoom lens even if it cost more than the pair of 28 and 50mm.

Why? because they were versatile and dreadfully handy things.

Now we have people so used to zooms (and quite frankly much better zooms than we ever had then) and we find people now wanting prime lenses (probably because they've read it'll make their photography better, but mostly because it is fashion I suspect). The saddest part is that as the lens does not have a significantly larger iris it will not differ substantially (perhaps even visibly) from what the zoom will produce in terms of shallow DoF (should you be chasing that).

I for the life of me I can't fathom why people still compare the prices to the same focal lengths in 35mm systems, suggesting that its a 14mm lens and for that in 35mm you'd have to pay $XX.

Pana should realize that they are not targeting Leica collectors.
    but perhaps they are ... I see very few younger photographic student types with these cameras. Given the low prices you can get the G1 body for these days it would and should appeal to them.

I think, by next year, we will see a steep decline in prices due to competition from others.

Sony already have a top notch sensor in the mirrorless area. M4/3rds isn't the only one around anymore.
    I hope so,and there is already some good adaption stuff around for the NEX cameras as the manufacturers have sussed that out. I would just like to add an EVF to the NEX (you know, a NEXG1)

Post Thanks / Like

It depends where you are coming from. My other kit is Leica, so everything panasonic seems as cheap as chips to me...

"we find people now wanting prime lenses (probably because they've read it'll make their photography better, but mostly because it is fashion I suspect)."

No, I genuinely prefer primes - don't know why but I just do - especially when I am working in urban environments - a lot more discrete. However, I am sorely tempted by the 100-300 just because it is a ridiculously long lens and I reckon it would be a fun lens to use now and then.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    It depends where you are coming from. My other kit is Leica, so everything panasonic seems as cheap as chips to me...
    I guess ... have you ever sussed out this guys prices for Leica compatible stuff?

http://www.chiifcameras.com/site2/in...&id=8&Itemid=8

also there is a level of high quality machining which goes into those lenses that does not go into the Panasonic. The fact that they use AF and re-calibrate every power cycle rather than supply a precision mechanical focusing mechanism (which couples to another mechanical system) is enough to save bucket loads on in manufacture.

"we find people now wanting prime lenses (probably because they've read it'll make their photography better, but mostly because it is fashion I suspect)."

No, I genuinely prefer primes - don't know why but I just do - especially
    I know that there are some who do prefer primes (myself included) I don't see that I was writing in such a way as to say "every photographer". Perhaps there are more who genuinely prefer a prime lens than I think, but its hard to believe that when I read the sorts of things people write on forums (fora?) and they barely have a grasp of what a lens is doing for them.

Again I iterate that this is not directed at you or indeed any specific person. Perhaps it is a comment directed at none who would even read this forum as I feel that there are more people who buy cameras than ever read anything much seriously about them.

PS I've been seriously considering buying one of the Voigtlander Bessa R cameras but aside from the 15mm Heliar I thin I prefer the 21mm of my Zuiko find that my OM-1 is probably as compact and perhaps more versatile.

...that and my black and white film use is not what it was after shifting house :-)

but thanks for the input and widening my views

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I for the life of me I can't fathom why people still compare the prices to the same focal lengths in 35mm systems, suggesting that its a 14mm lens and for that in 35mm you'd have to pay $XX.

Do they? !

I can see Pana and similar going for even tinier sensored cams and trying to sell 5mm "normal" primes for them.

Interestingly, I do not see any details about the construction of the 14mm. Are the aspherical elements moulded plastic? I would certainly think so given the lens' weight and the stainless steel mount, it would be shocking if it had any glass in it at all.

When NEX and such actually become cameras, m4/3rds would be history.