The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E News

clark666

Thank you for your current e-mail concerning our E-system.
Here are our idea and plan for the future.
The demanding requirements of professionals and high-level amateurs,
the durability and speed, the PEN is still unable to cover the Four
Thirds fully. Therefore we need the Four Thirds.
The PEN is supposed to cover all those requirements in the future,
yet the time has not been determined.
Therefore, when the users of the E-xxx series (like the E-520 or
E-620 etc.) want to make a replacement purchase, we recommend the
high-end Four Thirds series like the E-5 for the durability and speed,
the PEN for consumer-friendly, small and lightweight.
We will make efforts to meet customers' requests in these series.
Also, we will sell the Four Thirds lens continuously.
You can be assured that the precise description and expressive performance of
the Four Thirds lens are still the same when using the Four Thirds lens with
the PEN series through the Four Thirds mount adaptor.
We acknowledge that we have a satisfactory lineup of Four Thirds lens
within these 7 years, working with Panasonic and Sigma Corporations,
and we think that these Four Thirds lenses are able to deal with various scenes.
As far as we are concerned, our urgent task is to strengthen
Micro Four Thirds lens lineup, and to have a wide range of lenses
like the Four Thirds.
Meanwhile, the time of the next Four Thirds lens has not been determined yet,
we are still considering the Four Thirds.
Sincerely yours,
Y. Oda
Customer Support Center
OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP. Tokyo, Japan

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=36433050

Howard

Is that just a poor translation from Japanese to English? I have no idea the point the write is trying to convey.

clark666

This is the response to the question to Olympus about the future of the E system. It is written by Olympus' customer support people

V

Vivek

Is that just a poor translation from Japanese to English? I have no idea the point the write is trying to convey.
Obviously, obtuse.

I read it as the end of the 4/3rds system (with the E5). They will be clearing the existing stock of 4/3rds lenses, it looks like.

Winkel

Obviously, obtuse.

I read it as the end of the 4/3rds system (with the E5). They will be clearing the existing stock of 4/3rds lenses, it looks like.
Possibly... but I read it that existing 4/3 lens production will continue and once the m4/3 dust has settled they'll re-evaluate the need for the 4/3 line.

If the rumoured modular camera comes to fuition it will bridge the two lens lines by providing a large professional body to manage both the 4/3 and m4/3 lenses.

The next year will be critical for Oly to remain relevant.

Jim

hot

This is the response to the question to Olympus about the future of the E system. It is written by Olympus' customer support people
Same you can ask doorman or room cleaning lady .... you will get same answer ...

pcb_dpi

Seems like a very interesting statement to me, with some typical Japanese written imprecision evident. What I read, in my own order of decreasing significance, is:

1. M4/3 cameras will eventually replace all 4/3 DSLRs (think about that...)
2. Oly will focus attention on broadening the m4/3 lens lineup; it should be as broad as the current 4/3 lens lineup
3. Current m4/3 bodies can't match hi-end 4/3 for speed & durability, so hi-end 4/3 DSLR production will continue
4. Entry-/mid-level 4/3 DLR development will end
5. 4/3 lens sales will continue, since the lineup is complete and the lenses work well on m4/3 (implication is 4/3 lens production will continue)
6. 4/3 lens development may or may not continue

So if you're an E-xxx user hoping for an updated E-xxx body, you will almost certainly be disappointed. If you're hoping for an expanded 4/3 lens line, you may be disappointed. If you're hoping for an expanded m4/3 lens line and m4/3 bodies that are higher-spec, faster and more durable, you'll be pleased.

None of this gives us any concrete idea of what, how or when, but it does show a pretty complete view of their plans, in much more detail than we have from any other mfr. Of course, Oda-san could turn out to be wrong, a rogue, a false rumor, and Oly could change course.