Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Panasonic Sucks! (per OP)

Post Thanks / Like

Panasonic Sucks! (per OP)

I need to get this off my chest. It all started when I was backing up my images to my external hard drives and I started to reminisce looking at old raw files, going back as far as the Canon 300D.

Anyway, I've had my fair share of DSLR cameras over the past eight or nine years, like most of the Canon Rebel's, 20D, 5D, Nikons D70, D90, D300, D700, Olympus E330 and E420 and now I've had a couple of Panasonics. Here's the truth of the matter, Panasonic is the largest electronics company on the planet, if I'm not mistaken and they tend to be the most expensive, for what you really get. Out of all my cameras, I've had, only the ones from the largest electonics company on the planet (Panasonic) don't allow their images to auto rotate(you know, so you don't have to cock your head sideways to see it) and also they are the only raw files that won't open up in ACR, from an external hard drive. They open up in Finder, where you can see nothing but the picture. You have to down load them to your computers hard drive to see them and or edit them.

Panasonic reminds me of a big lumix, big and dumb.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Panasonic Sucks!

I don't agree with their implentation of image rotate. It is lens dependent. Lenses with OIS do rotate automatically.
    As to the hard drive issue, I'm perplexed. I kept none of my files on my hard drive for two years. They were only on drobo. They opened perfectly in Lightroom. I can check ACR when home.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by clay stewart View Post

Panasonic reminds me of a big lumix, big and dumb.
    As a reminder, they do religiously put LUMIX in indelible and virtually unalterable white paint (while the less important function buttons tend to lose their screen prints easily) on every camera they make. They are the most honest camera makers ever.

Here is a shot of their 3D video (re)invention launch from Photokina 2010 (Canon in the background is no coincidence as Canon made a super duper 3D zoom with internal stabilization for digital video ~a decade ago ).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Terry, I didn't know it was lens dependent, but I think I may have used my 14-140 a half a dozen times, since it was new, so that might explain me not noticing it. I made a mistake, by saying pany raws open in finder, they open in preview, is what I meant to say.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I kinda need to get this off my chesterfield: 'LUMIX' sounds like a cheapo segment TV of old. Faux silver plastic shell with fat square springy black buttons that are gonna pop out on the floor waiting to be stepped on by bare feet in a trailer pentry.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The facts:

- LX1, LX3, FZ10 ... all fixed lens Panasonic cameras include rotation info.

- L1 and L10 SLR bodies include rotation info regardless of lens.

- Micro-FourThirds Panasonic bodies put the rotation information in based on the OIS system in the lens fitted. No OIS, no rotation information.

- Current version of Camera Raw and Lightroom can process all Panasonic raw files. Doesn't matter where in the file system they are, as long as these applications can reach them they work just fine.

- The Finder's photo browsing capabilities are limited ... That said, I just flipped through about 6,000 Panasonic FZ10, LX1, L1, and G1 mixed raw and JPEG files with no problems at all. However the Finder is not a photo browsing application, it's a file system UI. Better to use a photo browser (Bridge, Photo Mechanic, etc) if that's what you want. Or put them into Lightroom, then you don't even have to have the external drives mounted.

Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey, I'm talking about looking at the files on an external hard drive. If I click on any of the raw files of the cameras I've owned over the past eight years, CS5 opens them in Camera Raw, except for the GF1 and GH1, which open in preview. I could drag them to my hard drive, to view them, but I don't want to.

Post Thanks / Like

(...) I made a mistake, by saying pany raws open in finder, they open in preview, is what I meant to say.
    Isn't that a problem with the computer/OS/ACR-Photoshop configuration?
    On my Windows XP machine I just tried and clicking a G1 raw file located at an external HD called up CS5 and then the image in ACR. The same with a DNG file originating from the same camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

.... They open up in Finder, where you can see nothing but the picture. You have to down load them to your computers hard drive to see them and or edit them.
    Finder? Sounds like a Mac issue to me (I am so dam sick of finding .Spotlight and .whatever files littered around on any drive I plug into a Mac). So, you don't normally just slurp the images from the card to your Computer? You're normal workflow is to USB the camera itself to the Mac and just read from there?

Sounds like double handling to me.

Aside from the images I take with my adapted lenses my images auto-rotate fine.

This is not to say I have no issues with Panasonic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

clay

think the problem may be that the file extension for the pana files are associated with Preview

Select one of the files on the external drive and hit command I to Get info - from there you can change the "open with' to the program of your choice

give it a try

K

Post Thanks / Like

Panasonic may suck. I have my issues with my G1, just as I have had with every other camera I have owned. I don't like their battery policy, and I certainly don't like the idea of a new battery for the GH2. I don't like their menu system, I have my issues with their lenses, ergonomics, their prices and lack of accessories and some other things. But I don't think Panasonic sucks, as in really sucks.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey, I'm talking about looking at the files on an external hard drive. If I click on any of the raw files of the cameras I've owned over the past eight years, CS5 opens them in Camera Raw, except for the GF1 and GH1, which open in preview. I could drag them to my hard drive, to view them, but I don't want to.
    Don't know why that is. But why don't you choose one, Get Info, and set the application to open them to be Photoshop instead of Preview, and set that to be the default. This is a simple user-system configuration issue.

More sensibly, just use Bridge to view them ... ??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    Panasonic may suck. I have my issues with my G1, just as I have had with every other camera I have owned. I don't like their battery policy, and I certainly don't like the idea of a new battery for the GH2. I don't like their menu system, I have my issues with their lenses, ergonomics, their prices and lack of accessories and some other things. But I don't think Panasonic sucks, as in really sucks.
    LOL. i agree as REALLY sucks (not). I'm a PC person but have used external drives for many years. I also use LR since the first beta. Never any issue--i never notice whether thay are Canon or Panasonic files. All open the same. For the lenses that aren't automatically rotated I select all in an uploaded file and rotate at same time. Takes very little time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevinparis View Post
    clay

think the problem may be that the file extension for the pana files are associated with Preview

Select one of the files on the external drive and hit command I to Get info - from there you can change the "open with' to the program of your choice

give it a try

K
    Thanks Kevin. I have everything put away for now, but next time I do a backup, I'll give that a try.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post

In my case all that plus the "starry skies" sensor unit.

I agree that they don't REALLY suck.

Post Thanks / Like

... and they tend to be the most expensive,...
    They are far from being the most expensive. Canon, Sony and Nikon all have much more expensive photographic equipments. The reason I specifically mentioned "photographic" is because in other areas such as stereos, TVs, etc., they are far from being the most expensive.

for what you really get. Out of all my cameras, I've had, only the ones from the largest electonics company on the planet (Panasonic) don't allow their images to auto rotate(you know, so you don't have to cock your head sideways to see it)...
    Well, that is somewhat annoying but Oly does that too. The EPL1 for instance, operates the same way. Now personally I choose to turn the camera around rather than my head!
    Tullio

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
    They are far from being the most expensive. Canon, Sony and Nikon all have much more expensive photographic equipments. The reason I specifically mentioned "photographic" is because in other areas such as stereos, TVs, etc., they are far from being the most expensive.

I disagree. The very reason I have boycotted the 7-14/4 zoom is the price (not a matter of being able to afford it or not). The Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 (faster, covers lot more real estate and simply awesome) is to be equated with the Pana 7-14 in terms of price?
    Atrocious price.

As Pellicle pointed out in another thread, a not so fast 14/2.5, in comparison to a 28/2.8 of Canon is way over priced.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this thread has a bad title because the problem that was the basis for this title has very little to do with Panasonic, right?
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree with Uwe.

Vivek....not sure of pricing in Europe but 7-14 here in the US is $1000 vs the Nikon at $1785 at B&H (domestic not grey market version).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I agree with Uwe.

Vivek....not sure of pricing in Europe but 7-14 here in the US is $1000 vs the Nikon at $1785 at B&H (domestic not grey market version).
    Just checked - 1049 at warehouseexpress - half as much again.
    Nikon 14-24 is 1278 . . . . more expensive, but really not that much, the Nikon 12-24 f4 is only 750

Canon seem to be worse though. at one point when the G12 came out it was more expensive in than it was in $$ in the states.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, Just checked. The price has taken a whopping 100 Euros dive (while the Nikon zoom has climbed up by >300 Euros, IIRC). FWIW, new G1 bodies were on sale until a month ago here. One can still buy a new G1 kit (black paint).

Jono, Thanks for your post.

I can readily accept the Nikon 12-24 f/4 price point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Panasonic does not suck, yes they have their occasional misses, but they all do.

-bob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Panasonic Sucks NOT!

Drag & drop one of the Pana files on top of the CS5 dock and see what happens. Use Bridge to browse the folder and see what happens.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Panasonic Sucks! (per OP)

Well, I guess I deserved Bob changing the title of this tread from "Panasonic Sucks" to "Panasonic Sucks per (OP)." I should have known better to say anything bad against Panasonic and I apologize to you Bob for saying anything rude to you, as well as to anyone else whose feathers I may have ruffled.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, an apology? I don't think it was that bad Clay, don't worry.
    Heh, thinking about it... if you are starting a trend here the forum post count will increase noticeably.

(And the rotational indicator should have been placed in the camera - otherwise a future horizontal level indicator will work with some Panny lenses only. More sucking.)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't understand the title change.

How much Panasonic suck varies from person to person.

Whether they suck totally and is endorsed by the site was never the question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Clay, no need for an apology really, just I think you meant something like
    "Files without orientation encoding suck". I am also apparently getting grumpier as the years go by.

I agree with Clay that it is annoying to not have encoded orientation information in every image, but it is not unique to Panasonic. As far as I know there is no difference if files are stored on an internal drive, an external drive, or on a network. The protocols that connect file systems don't care about the file's purpose or content.

I also think it is annoying that cameras that DO encode orientation information sometimes get it wrong. I have files like this from Olympus, Nikon, Panasonic, Leica, actually probably every camera I have used. The frequency of occurrence varies depending on the sensor's sensitivity to camera orientations that are strongly biased up or down. Perhaps Panasonic's decision to put the orientation sensor in the lens might be questioned. I wonder if gravity is the appropriate reference, perhaps a chin or nose sensor might work better if hand holding, but the tripod use case presents other problems. I guess gravity is the best they have to go with absent something like a laser ring gyro.
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Perhaps Panasonic's decision to put the orientation sensor in the lens might be questioned. I wonder if gravity is the appropriate reference, perhaps a chin or nose sensor might work better
    You could then use the Nose Print as a security device as well, so that you couldn't take pictures without an approved Nose Print on the rear LCD.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    You could then use the Nose Print as a security device as well, so that you couldn't take pictures without an approved Nose Print on the rear LCD.
    What a great idea, also could record in the exif who actually took the image.
    Quick, Jono, patent that!
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

orientation ...

I find a lot of errors whenever I'm shooting down ... copystand, my 'ground signs' series, my 'pavement' series, etc.

Of course, most camera orientation sensors don't know much about the z axis. They're stuck in x and y.

It's never bothered me to orient the photos on the computer, and when I'm reviewing on the camera I prefer that they NOT orient as I want as big an image as possible on the teensy LCD review screen. I just turn the camera if I want to see the image right side up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I don't understand the title change.

How much Panasonic suck varies from person to person.

Whether they suck totally and is endorsed by the site was never the question.
    +1. I don't get it either. Why the need to qualify the OP's statements? Are we protecting Panasonic from something? If I want to say Panasonic sucks I would hope that's my right to do so, and it should be assumed by default that whatever I write on this, or any other forum, is, by definition, my opinion, and does not reflect in any way the opinions of the forum admins or site owners. Why the censorship?
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    +1. I don't get it either. Why the need to qualify the OP's statements? Are we protecting Panasonic from something? If I want to say Panasonic sucks I would hope that's my right to do so, and it should be assumed by default that whatever I write on this, or any other forum, is, by definition, my opinion, and does not reflect in any way the opinions of the forum admins or site owners. Why the censorship?
    The moderators have discussed and the decision is final.
    Some folks take this stuff very personally. You don't receive the complaints but we do.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Not to add fuel to the fire, and I do sometimes feel the need to vent, BUT.... I understand the OPs first point though its not an issue for me (rotation). On the second point I would have been inclined to ask for some input on that rather than say or assume its not possible since its so unlikely Panasonic would be responsible for one's computer or software not to open RAW files from an external drive. As to expensive, its relative I guess. If you own a system and need a particular lens it doesn't really help to compare other system's prices. You may only annoy yourself LOL.

As to the title change, I concur. Doesn't seem like censorship to me. He was able to say exactly what he wanted and it wasn't deleted. Thread titles are often changed in various forums for more clarity in searching.
    Last edited by Diane B; 27th September 2010 at 07:25.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Crap I hate dealing with this stuff but here are the rules it applies to everything and there is a reason we made them. Now if we started making exceptions for this and that than it is REAL simple.
    GetDPI would NOT be the friendly place that it is. Bottom line end of day and as part owner of this forum I NEVER WANT this forum to be anything but FRIENDLY and that is why it is HERE. If it was anything else but that Guy and Jack would simply turn the lights out and go home.

3) Arguing, rudeness, generally poor or negative behavior will be dealt with at moderator discretion as they see fit. This may result in the offending post(s) or entire thread(s) being deleted with or without explanation, and/or the offending poster(s) being banned or having their accounts suspended or erased. Note that broader topical and emotional latitude is tolerated in the "Sunset Bar" forum, but decisions on thread or post appropriateness remain at moderator discretion there as well.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Crap I hate dealing with this stuff but here are the rules it applies to everything and there is a reason we made them.
    That's cool - I don't think there's a need to get offended by the question. It wasn't meant in a combative way, and it's a valid concern some of us have in understanding where we stand in terms of being allowed to express our thoughts. A decision that seemed odd was made by the moderators (I'm not questioning that right) without explanation, so it raises concerns naturally. Just a part of having an community.

Most of us tend to forget that we're simply guests on these forums BECAUSE we feel like a family, and in front of family we say whatever comes to mind, unfiltered and understanding that it won't be taken wrongly. On the other hand, it helps to understand why moderators make certain decisions so others can avoid getting into the same predicament in the future. I, for one, don't have the forum rules memorized, so a simple reference to the rules when they're broken does wonders IMO.

Moving on.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a difference between a family and this forum.

If you say in your family "XYZ sucks" all know this is an unqualified rant and only a few ears listen to it. On the net threads with subjects like "XYZ sucks" get more attention than all the other threads and Google indexes it too.

>Bottom line end of day and as part owner of this forum I NEVER WANT this forum to be anything but FRIENDLY and that is why it is HERE.

The only rule actually to remember. Guy and Jack actually made this a unique and friendly place.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    If you say in your family "XYZ sucks" all know this is an unqualified rant and only a few ears listen to it. On the net threads with subjects like "XYZ sucks" get more attention than all the other threads and Google indexes it too.
    I take exception to this claim.

What are the things in this thread you find as "unqualified rant" and why?

Google also indexes all the other things that get posted, for example every single image that gets posted with a Panasonic camera.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's cool - I don't think there's a need to get offended by the question. It wasn't meant in a combative way, and it's a valid concern some of us have in understanding where we stand in terms of being allowed to express our thoughts. A decision that seemed odd was made by the moderators (I'm not questioning that right) without explanation, so it raises concerns naturally. Just a part of having an community.

Most of us tend to forget that we're simply guests on these forums BECAUSE we feel like a family, and in front of family we say whatever comes to mind, unfiltered and understanding that it won't be taken wrongly. On the other hand, it helps to understand why moderators make certain decisions so others can avoid getting into the same predicament in the future. I, for one, don't have the forum rules memorized, so a simple reference to the rules when they're broken does wonders IMO.

Moving on.
    Well we are family and always want that feeling around here. Why it is a great place to hang out. But as family members sometimes we just redirect and guide things in a different or better way to get things said. Trust me it's a fine line and we don't want to be like others and take the low road. I have a 13 and 20 year old and I guess as a parent you learn to let lose of the reins but always try and guide them into the light with a very light touch.
    Not easy being us. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

>What are the things in this thread you find as "unqualified rant" and why?

It was nothing wrong with the thread but the subject line does say nothing about the issue at hand. Why not break it down into the different issues or call it "Issues with XYZ files and cameras".

Case closed for me.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I have a 13 and 20 year old and I guess as a parent you learn to let lose of the reins but always try and guide them into the light with a very light touch.
    Not easy being us. LOL
    Certainly, but I'm sure you make it a point to tell your kids why what they did was wrong so they don't repeat it in the future. I didn't see that happen in this case, so it raised some concerns because the decision to change the thread title seemed from the outside sudden and arbitrary regardless of whatever decisions the moderators were making in the background. That's all, and really nothing else to read into my original question.
    -Dragos

Post Thanks / Like

P.S. - there's nothing really to be concerned about having these sort of conversations every now and then. As uncomfortable as they may seem, they're natural, and if everything's out in the open we'll get through it without issue. It's part of growing as a community, and it's what makes the community stronger in the end.
    -Dragos

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I believe it has been said. On the first point yes, an orientation sensor is useful. Panasonic's implementation is unfortunate but not the only company not Doing auto rotate. E-PL1 is notable current example.

On the second point it was a configuration issue not Panansonic specific. In addition we felt there were different ways of asking why it wasn't working that might have been more effective. While the title of the thread was purely opinion it seemed a bit over the top once the two points were dissected.

I think this thread has run its course.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE]
    Certainly, but I'm sure you make it a point to tell your kids why what they did was wrong so they don't repeat it in the future. QUOTE]
    Well that is because Guy assumes we are no kids any more.
    I am with Ustein on this: a friendly forum should not use suck unnessaraly as a title.

But it is all very easy, plain and simple.
    You just use the word suck and the thread is busy and you get the endless - freedom of speach - discussions which are completly strayed away from the issue at stake here, which was not very interesting anyway.
    These kind of - know better - discussions is exactly why I moved away from DPR

BTW Never had any problems looking at my Pany files.

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, a lot has to do with body language (or lack thereof). When I talk to my 13 year old son, he can read my body language and use that to judge how he should receive what I'm telling him. On the net we don't get that. We read what people write w/o having the opportunity to actually see their expression, so we can only judge what we read based on content. Obviously each individual has his/her own way to express their opinions and one can easily misunderstand what's being said/written depending on the writing style, chosen words, etc.
    Tullio

bruce1s

One of the reasons I prefer GetDPI rather than some of the other forums is because the posts are normally respectful and to the point so I don't have to read through pages of arguments and insults.

Although I was not offended by the OP, I believe the administrators responded correctly. In addition, it allowed me to see that the overall mature mood of GetDPI is not simply an accident but is cultivated and guarded by the site owners/administrators--to whom I am grateful.

By the way, I have yet to own a digital camera that did NOT "suck" (defined as having any REALLY frustrating features or really frustrating lack of features). This includes Nikon, Canon, Oly, Panasonic, Fuji. Nonetheless, given all the frustrations, as soon as I discovered digital I sold my Nikon and Mamiya TLR film cameras and lenses and haven't looked back.

Although I discovered 4/3 through my admiration for Olympus, I now own a Panasonic G1. Therefore, however badly Panasonic might suck they produced a camera that is very useful to me at the moment. (I kept my E-510 to use with my ZD 50/2 macro).

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

has everyone here forgotten that the orientation sensor is in the lens on the pansonic so you will not get orientation information without the right lens attached?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I agree with Clay that it is annoying to not have encoded orientation information in every image, but it is not unique to Panasonic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bruce1s View Post
    One of the reasons I prefer GetDPI rather than some of the other forums is because the posts are normally respectful and to the point so I don't have to read through pages of arguments and insults.

Although I was not offended by the OP, I believe the administrators responded correctly. In addition, it allowed me to see that the overall mature mood of GetDPI is not simply an accident but is cultivated and guarded by the site owners/administrators--to whom I am grateful.

By the way, I have yet to own a digital camera that did NOT "suck" (defined as having any REALLY frustrating features or really frustrating lack of features). This includes Nikon, Canon, Oly, Panasonic, Fuji. Nonetheless, given all the frustrations, as soon as I discovered digital I sold my Nikon and Mamiya TLR film cameras and lenses and haven't looked back.

Although I discovered 4/3 through my admiration for Olympus, I now own a Panasonic G1. Therefore, however badly Panasonic might suck they produced a camera that is very useful to me at the moment. (I kept my E-510 to use with my ZD 50/2 macro).

Cheers.
    Thanks, we try.
    On the subject of relative or general suckiness, I agree that there is at least one aspect of every camera I have ever used that begged improvement.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Hi

has everyone here forgotten that the orientation sensor is in the lens on the pansonic so you will not get orientation information without the right lens attached?
    Hi pellicle,

In Australia now?!
    Hey, I read everything as nobody forgotten that fact. I guess that's why Bob said "not ... in every image" as I assume he meant we get automatic orientation information with Panasonic lenses with OIS function.

That's one of the Panasonic mistakes in my opinion. An in-body orientation sensor could have given us not only the not vital orientation info but also leveling info when framing the image.

Cheers,

/Jonas

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually, rather than orientation if the exif contained an actual tilt-sensor tilt in degrees and fractions, that might be more useful than merely which end is up.
    My hand leveling is less than perfect, so if the image contained the data that migh indicate (for me) that the camera were tilted 0.9 degrees to the right, it might be a more practical solution. I also am of the opinion that this really ought to be a body and not a lens function.
    -bob
    Last edited by Bob; 3rd October 2010 at 03:11. Reason: spelling :-(

Post Thanks / Like

>My hand leveling is less than perfect, so if the image contained the data that migh indicate (for me) that the camera were tilted 0.9 degrees to the right, it might be a more practical solution.

Yes, this would be useful.

I actually often also tilt intentionally without wanting the image be rotated (e.g. aerials and also close-ups).
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------