The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

3D video with Panasonic- any interest?

V

Vivek

Is anyone interested in buying the cute little 12.5/12 stereolens Pana have made and doing 3D video (vieweable on a Pana Viera TV) with the G2 or GH2?

ggibson

It actually seems pretty affordable at $250 (assuming it's not crap). Would be pretty cool to show 3D home movies to friends and family. Seems like a small expense if you already have a 3D TV setup. I like the potential of 3D tech, but owning/using it seems at least a year or two away for me.

I read comments by someone who had seen a demonstration by Panasonic and walked away impressed, although I'm kind of skeptical about how good the 3D effect actually is since the lenses are so close together... shouldn't they be at least as far apart as a person's eyes?

photoSmart42

Not for me. I don't even shoot regular video on my GH1. Editing video is sooo much more involved than editing stills that I have neither the interest nor the time to pursue it personally. I'm not a videographer anyway - I see the world in snapshots not in motion.

N

noirist

I don't think you can shoot video with that lens. I think it's only for stills.

V

Vivek

I don't think you can shoot video with that lens. I think it's only for stills.
Interesting. How big a still image can one expect out an already tiny sensor' area?

Also interesting is the fact that the lens' focus is fixed and is into diffraction limits at f/12.

Perhaps more interesting is the fact that they were demonstrating 3D (at photokina) with their regular video cam (and its stereo attachment) and not G2 or Gh2.

ggibson

Interesting. How big a still image can one expect out an already tiny sensor' area?

Also interesting is the fact that the lens' focus is fixed and is into diffraction limits at f/12.

Perhaps more interesting is the fact that they were demonstrating 3D (at photokina) with their regular video cam (and its stereo attachment) and not G2 or Gh2.
Assuming the 3D lens covers the maximum width of the sensor, the highest resolution you could expect would be 1/4 the sensor size. So 3MP in 4:3 for the G2 and 3.5MP (in 16:9) to 3.9MP (in 4:3) for the GH2.

As far as not supporting 3D video, I had assumed it would be possible (the resolution is there at least), but maybe not. I went back through most of Panasonic's official announcements looking for any mention of video and found nothing. I only found this page on Akihabura News claiming that the GH2 supported 3D video, but they could have made the same assumption. Although I don't see any reason why the G1/GH1/GF1 could not support the 3D lens if there is no video requirement.

V

Vivek

I think there is plenty of resolution for video. Don't know about stills, especially when the images suffer from diffraction.

Yes, the G2 is supposed to support 3D video after an update.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Crazy stuff! I spent my entire life converting 3 dimensions to 2 dimensions...
Now they want me to go back to 3 dimensions....
I'm old, confused, got a headache... and not interested...
Enjoy Vivek... If there's something happening with this stuff, I'm sure you'll figure it out...

hot

Panasonic's new 3D lens will actually have two lenses and the GH2's processor will be able to divide
its image sensor in half to serve as two images sensors, one for each lens.

3D capture will be limited to 3D photos; 3D video capture will not be available.

Lens is only usable for G2 and GH2, other cameras are too slow.

V

Vivek

3D capture will be limited to 3D photos; 3D video capture will not be available.

Interesting. and one needs a Viera TV to view them. Panasonic rocks!:ROTFL:

Crazy stuff! I spent my entire life converting 3 dimensions to 2 dimensions...
Now they want me to go back to 3 dimensions....
I'm old, confused, got a headache... and not interested...
Enjoy Vivek... If there's something happening with this stuff, I'm sure you'll figure it out...
Don, Trust me, you will look really cool in those 3D glasses. ;)

ggibson

Too bad. I wonder why they can't/won't enable video recording.

Sounds like bull**** to me. I wonder what would happen if you just attached the 3D lens to one of the older models? What could possibly be so hardware intensive? Combining the images post-capture? Seems like Panasonic is purposefully making their older models into damaged goods.

V

Vivek

Graham, On your earlier question on the lens separation-

Since this is a fixed focus fixed apertured lens and since it is expected to be used from 60cm to infinity, it is a compromise.

I used to own a Bolex stereo set. There, the Yvar lenses came with coupled adjustable diaphram and a stereo prism for infinity shooting.

hot

Most of my pictures/videos are 3D. Pictures you can make with EVERY camera, even with HelloKittyCam. For 3D photos and 3D videos (1920x1080 or 1280x720) I use Sony TX7/TX9 - for viewing Zalman 3D or Acer 3D monitor - or my cheap Samsung 3D tv.

Do simple things simply.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/new-technology/177561-3d-photos-videos-3d-tv.html

GH2 + 3D lens

My Sonys are "better" because of variable parallaxe.

Sounds like bull**** to me. I wonder what would happen if you just attached the 3D lens to one of the older models? What could possibly be so hardware intensive? Combining the images post-capture? Seems like Panasonic is purposefully making their older models into damaged goods.
You cannot use Lumix 3D lens with other cameras, because there is no firmware update to use this lens.
Lumix 3D lens is fix focus, small aperture, - you can buy for $100-$130/piece two small cameras, which you can pair to 3D 1920x1080 "camcorder" - for a price as high as Lumix 3D lens. For 3D video and photos usable. Kodak, Sony, Sanyo, ...

Last edited:

hot

Firmware update will be available for G2, you can use lens with other cameras, but you have to correct pictures.
Resolution depends on size of sensor chip - for GH2 you get two pictures - only with 2048x1536 ~ 3 mpixels :-(

With cheap paired cameras you get 2x 10 mpixels or 2x 12 mpixels! The 12.5mm lens is "really" a 65mm lens - no wide angle! eye distance = 20mm, for 3D suited from 0.6m, aperture = 12 makes a "sharp background" :)

With cheap camera I make 3D macros with some centimeters distance till landscape ... with 1x -10x zoom.

File format with Lumix 3D lens is MPO (like Fuji & Sony).

Higher image noise is reduced by a new processor, incorporating 3 fast CPUs and new sensor geometry.

C

camera3d

No more need for double camera tripods, even sony has moved to 3d with twin lens camera (like Fuji W3).

hot

If you use Lumix 3D lens with GH1 you don't need paper :)
It makes two pictures/two videos side by side you can use/convert with StereoPhotoMaker/StereoVideoMaker.