The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF2 with 25mm f1.4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawfa

Just in: Kowa will supply the lens for the GF2 colonoscopy combo (you can never be too safe with your health).

V

Vivek

Still, they (Olympus) are the kings in that area (of fiberoptics/diagnostics tools).

I was going to start a thread earlier on the endoscopy related photography (really cool stuff). I am glad that this thread has taken a turn like this lest some people get "offended" and start charaterizing it as being equivalent to Panasonic totally sucks.:)

Do they actually use Olympus for this procedure. Hey I'm a Medium format person. LOL

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Funny thing is this reminded me that I actually do need to have this procedure done. My mother died of colon cancer years ago and I'm really supposed to pay attention in this area. See what you guy's bring up is really painful sometimes. LOL
Sorry to everyone about my comment. I do have cancer, and I have have had many colonoscopies. By laughing in this way I can handle it. But I do have a rather sick British humor.

I most certainly was not in anyway denigrating Panasonic - I have two G1s and a bunch of their lenses. I just think that the shrinking camera thing is almost getting a bit overdone. I was originally thinking of putting up a post on fitting the camera into the lens. That would probably have been less controversial

Nough said ?? . . . I hope ;););)

Keith

aleksanderpolo

Back to the lens... If the rumor is true, I wonder why they think they need a 25/1.4 more than a fast portrait such as 50/1.4...

Terry

Perhaps because a 25 f1.4 is already designed and in production for 4/3. It might be faster/easy to simply shrink that lens down a bit. In addition the 45 macro also already exists.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Members and Mods made a gigantic fuzz about a different thread where a guy titled his thread "Panasonic sucks"...but saying panasonics´cameras are suited to insert into peoples´anuses for medical purposes is fine? I think I might have to start paying a lawyer to review what I write before posting here.
Okay, let me make our position crystal clear...

As an example, it was your post Rawfa that caused this thread to go overboard and take the wrong turn. The Colonoscopy comment is humor, relevant to stated new product's size and another side of the camera business. But when you take personal offense and translate that to shoving something up somebody's rectum, it crossed the line.

Here's the deal, just so EVERYBODY is clear: This forum is NOT a democracy! It is our house and you are a guest. We as mods and owners have full and free reign to moderate as we see fit and do NOT owe you any explanations for our actions. ANYBODY who starts pulling this "it's not fair" or "we don't like it" posting crap going forward is going to get a 7-day time out to adjust their attitude. This will come as a ban with or without explanation. So if it happens to you, take the free time away from GetDPI to consider your actions and attitudes. If you choose to come back after the 7 day time-out, great, you'll be welcome. However, if the disruptive behavior continues, the second ban will be a lot longer -- like a year or permanent depending on the mood we're in.

So, back to your regular programming...

Rawfa

Back to the lens... If the rumor is true, I wonder why they think they need a 25/1.4 more than a fast portrait such as 50/1.4...
I´m with you here. It doesn´t sound like the brightest move to come up with this lens when you have a very similar pancake (20mm f1.7). Sure, it is faster but had they came up with a 50mm f1.4 they would probably sell more and wouldn´t have to lower the price of the 20mm. I´ve been using for sometime a Pentax 50mm f1.4 that I really love, but focusing manually in low light is tough. A quality micro 4/3 50mm would be a very nice welcome.

Rawfa

Perhaps because a 25 f1.4 is already designed and in production for 4/3. It might be faster/easy to simply shrink that lens down a bit. In addition the 45 macro also already exists.
Terry is right. And I´m guessing this will happen to a couple more four thirds lenses. It would not surprise me if the fast zoom that they´ve mentioned is a version of the Panas´14-50mm f2.8-3.5.

Jonas

To me this is good news, or at least good rumors...

I have written earlier about my hopes for a series of lenses that are better made than the current µ4/3 lenses. It's a long shot, I know, but what if this possible 25/1.4 comes with an aperture ring, a focusing scale and an overall better build quality?! I can see that would be a good thing. Not all lenses have to be pancakes.

Then it is puzzling; why not announce and start designing a very fast short tele?

/Jonas

Peter Klein

Do they actually use Olympus for this procedure. Hey I'm a Medium format person. LOL
True story: A few years ago, I hit that Certain Age when it was time for The Diagnostic Procedure That Dare Not Speak Its Name. I had also just bought an Olympus E-1. When I went to the doctor's for the initial consult, I brought the E-1 manual with me to study in the waiting room. Well, when the doctor called me in and saw the manual in my hand, his face brightened, and he said, "Hey, we use Olympus, too! They have *great* optics!" Then, sensing in me a kindred spirit, he proceded to tell me all about how those great optics would superbly image my inner workings, described to a level of detail that I honestly could have lived without. :bugeyes:

--Peter

Last edited:
V

Vivek

I am truly sorry to hear about the health issues (Keith, Peter).

Olympus diagnostic tools (everything from microscope to more sophisticated things or parts of them or the principles involved with those) can also be pressed for photography.

I hope to post something cheerful using such.

Peter Klein

So sorry about your diagnosis, Keith. No health issues re. my story, Vivek. In the U.S., it is routine to get a colonoscopy every few years starting at age 50. Actually, I'm glad the doctor said what he said, it makes a great story. The doctor was going to do something unpleasant, but at least he was a fellow lens conoisseur using a brand I appreciate.
:ROTFL:

bradhusick

from 43rumors.com...

Thanks to a french 43rumors reader we can show you the very first picture of the Panasonic GF2!!! The picture shows the advertising at “Salon de la Photo” in Paris (the event starts tomorrow). The GF2 looks like the Panasonic LX5! And with the new Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 lens lens it is the smallest mirrorless kit on earth! It has 12 megapixel (The same G2 sensor), records FullHD, a complete new imaging processor, touchscreen and announcement is expected at 6am London time (November 4th). Follow 43rumors! We will keep you updated with all news and previews!

seakayaker

from 43rumors.com...

Thanks to a french 43rumors reader we can show you the very first picture of the Panasonic GF2!!! The picture shows the advertising at “Salon de la Photo” in Paris (the event starts tomorrow). The GF2 looks like the Panasonic LX5! And with the new Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 lens lens it is the smallest mirrorless kit on earth! It has 12 megapixel (The same G2 sensor), records FullHD, a complete new imaging processor, touchscreen and announcement is expected at 6am London time (November 4th). Follow 43rumors! We will keep you updated with all news and previews!
Thanks Brad for the post . . . . .

. . . . . looking forward to seeing some reviews . . . . . at first glance and from reading the description I am not that excited.

I really love my GF1 and was hoping they would follow the lead of the GH2 with a larger sensor/firmware and an upgraded EVF.

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Not sure what the GF2 buys us yet but looks at the moment to be just a evolutionary change. Hold final judgement till announcement and most likely get one in when NEXT YEAR. Can't wait that long. Need something NOW. LOL

Yes gear slut President and CEO

V

Vivek

The GF2 looks like the Panasonic LX5! And with the new Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 lens lens it is the smallest mirrorless kit on earth!

The size of the rumored GF2 is good news (another new battery?:p) but the 14/2.5 won't make the smallest mirrorless kit for me.

Sony NEX-5 plus some lenses might do it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.