Site Sponsors

Thread: GF2 with 25mm f1.4?

Post Thanks / Like

GF2 with 25mm f1.4?

Panasonic might be releasing the GF2 along with the 25mm f1.4 on January/Fabruary. They say it might be smaller than Sony´s NEX cameras. I´m very excited about this! This could be the perfect compact camera (specially if they use the GH2´s sensor, which is supposed to have better iso performance and 1 stop more latitude). That plus this 25mm f1.4 may just be THE perfect combo! I just hope the 25mm won´t cost 1000$ like the Leica four thirds version. Pana is lowering the price on the 20mm because they won´t want to cabinalyze a lens that is selling well with a similar FOV. Oh boy, I cannot wait for next year!

http://www.43rumors.com/mr-kitao-iti...e-next-lenses/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: GF2 with 25mm f1.4?

I am looking forward to the new battery.

Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I heard the new strap was thinner and made of polyvinylchloridyanizine...
    Kewl!

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I heard that the new GF2/14mm combo is so small that some docs are doing colonoscopies with it

Keith

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    I heard that the new GF2/14mm combo is so small that some docs are doing colonoscopies with it

Keith
    Wow! Environmentally sealed as well?!

Whoever said that Panasonic camera gear are atrociously priced are going to regret it.

Post Thanks / Like

Members and Mods made a gigantic fuzz about a different thread where a guy titled his thread "Panasonic sucks"...but saying panasonics´cameras are suited to insert into peoples´anuses for medical purposes is fine? I think I might have to start paying a lawyer to review what I write before posting here.

Post Thanks / Like

....well, my Panasonic is my take anywhere camera....

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Members and Mods made a gigantic fuzz about a different thread where a guy titled his thread "Panasonic sucks"...but saying panasonics´cameras are suited to insert into peoples´anuses for medical purposes is fine? I think I might have to start paying a lawyer to review what I write before posting here.
    Sorry no thread with the word sucks in the title will be made here. It's just that simple, it is not productive. Anyone want to play in that kind of sandbox find another forum. Nothing is FRIENDLY with the word sucks in the title and that is the way it is. PERIOD

Reminder the world is watching
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The MODS are ever watchful LOL
    Just remember that whatever you say is public and will be held against you.
    Be nice, have fun, but no slanderous comments
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Guy and Bob, I don´t think you got my point. What I meant is that if a thread title with the word suck is not allowed neither should a comment such as the one in this thread that implies the GF2 can see inserted into a persons anus (which I find it to be way more offensive than the word suck, btw).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy and Bob, I don´t think you got my point. What I meant is that if a thread title with the word suck is not allowed neither should a comment such as the one in this thread that implies the GF2 can see inserted into a persons anus (which I find it to be way more offensive than the word suck, btw).
    We are not experts here about anus sizes or if a camera would fit or not. I suppose it might be possible for one large enough and a camera small enough.
    What one does with the camera is up to you.
    We think the comment is perhaps on the tasteless and nonproductive side, but it is not mean slanderous or offensive to anything but good taste.
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Part of the problem is when someone tries to characterize every word that is used or trying to characterize what someone posts.

I do appreciate Guy and Jack's forum (that is why I am here and take part in discussions) ONLY because it is originated and run by photographers.

This thread, btw, isn't it about a rumor? That too a very badly translated one.

The link you found, Rafa, gives a link to the Google translation. If that is in good taste, anything and everything is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I understand we do need to have fun here and I do appreciate good humor always. I guess the real message and we all know it is the insult rule. Which I am a stickler on, I don't want any member insulted in any way and this also applies to any OEM or vendor, lets also not forget even us the mods. around here. I think most people understand I don't want this place to be like X,Y and Z forums. Frankly that is Jack and mine biggest concern is we want it to BE the place to come learn, share and have fun. If this was a closed forum with just members than it might be different. Than again maybe not but we are public and we have a much BIGGER audience than folks realize. Just look at the guests at the bottom of the page.

Now we all know Keith's and/or Rawfa's comment was said in jest and yea maybe in bad taste or to some it was funny. We really don't want to get down to every word or even censor anything unless it is really bad. So what is the threshold that we go by, well folks their is none. My take is if it will really offend someone than we jump in, obviously a judgement call and we are not always correct in that either. One issue is we are global and what a word means to me may mean a completely thing to someone else in another part of the world. No kidding folks this is not easy stuff and we try to do the best we can and i think we do a good job. Now back to the Panasonic sucks comment is a insult to Panasonic and it's employees they are no different to me at least as insulting a member. So the insult rule will rule the day on this forum. Saying something stupid or off color is a judgement call. But the end of the day it will always what is best for the forum and it's members and that will always be the rule for GetDPI.

BTW if something really offends someone than please use the report button. It is very useful to us as we don't read everything said here. The report button goes to all mods. so someone is always around to fix something. Sending me or Jack a PM could be a delay as we maybe out of the office or something
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

To me the post was simply tongue-in-cheek speculation of Panasonic emulating Olympus’ colonoscopy technology. Seems like a fair comment… poking fun at the absurdity of over-miniaturization. Ergonomically, the NEX is already far too small for me.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Funny thing is this reminded me that I actually do need to have this procedure done. My mother died of colon cancer years ago and I'm really supposed to pay attention in this area. See what you guy's bring up is really painful sometimes. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Winkel View Post
    To me the post was simply tongue-in-cheek speculation of Panasonic emulating Olympus’ colonoscopy technology. Seems like a fair comment… poking fun at the absurdity of over-miniaturization. Ergonomically, the NEX is already far too small for me.

Jim
    With some of the larger lenses, the nex resembles a rectangular rear lens cap.
    But for some that is just what they are looking for.
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Funny thing is this reminded me that I actually do need to have this procedure done. My mother died of colon cancer years ago and I'm really supposed to pay attention in this area. See what you guy's bring up is really painful sometimes. LOL
    So, it all comes back to an Olympus camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,
    At our age, not a bad thing to keep on your reminders list.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    So, it all comes back to an Olympus camera.
    Do they actually use Olympus for this procedure. Hey I'm a Medium format person. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Just in: Kowa will supply the lens for the GF2 colonoscopy combo (you can never be too safe with your health).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Still, they (Olympus) are the kings in that area (of fiberoptics/diagnostics tools).

I was going to start a thread earlier on the endoscopy related photography (really cool stuff). I am glad that this thread has taken a turn like this lest some people get "offended" and start charaterizing it as being equivalent to Panasonic totally sucks.

Do they actually use Olympus for this procedure. Hey I'm a Medium format person. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Winkel View Post
    To me the post was simply tongue-in-cheek speculation of Panasonic emulating Olympus’ colonoscopy technology. ....Jim
    Either bad choice of words, or you have a sharp sense of humor...

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry to everyone about my comment. I do have cancer, and I have have had many colonoscopies. By laughing in this way I can handle it. But I do have a rather sick British humor.

I most certainly was not in anyway denigrating Panasonic - I have two G1s and a bunch of their lenses. I just think that the shrinking camera thing is almost getting a bit overdone. I was originally thinking of putting up a post on fitting the camera into the lens. That would probably have been less controversial

Nough said ?? . . . I hope

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Either bad choice of words, or you have a sharp sense of humor...
    Ha! I couldn't resist .

And Rawfa, I do hope the Kowa rig is for veterinary use only.

Cheers,
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Back to the lens... If the rumor is true, I wonder why they think they need a 25/1.4 more than a fast portrait such as 50/1.4...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Perhaps because a 25 f1.4 is already designed and in production for 4/3. It might be faster/easy to simply shrink that lens down a bit. In addition the 45 macro also already exists.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay, let me make our position crystal clear...

As an example, it was your post Rawfa that caused this thread to go overboard and take the wrong turn. The Colonoscopy comment is humor, relevant to stated new product's size and another side of the camera business. But when you take personal offense and translate that to shoving something up somebody's rectum, it crossed the line.

Here's the deal, just so EVERYBODY is clear: This forum is NOT a democracy! It is our house and you are a guest. We as mods and owners have full and free reign to moderate as we see fit and do NOT owe you any explanations for our actions. ANYBODY who starts pulling this "it's not fair" or "we don't like it" posting crap going forward is going to get a 7-day time out to adjust their attitude. This will come as a ban with or without explanation. So if it happens to you, take the free time away from GetDPI to consider your actions and attitudes. If you choose to come back after the 7 day time-out, great, you'll be welcome. However, if the disruptive behavior continues, the second ban will be a lot longer -- like a year or permanent depending on the mood we're in.

So, back to your regular programming...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aleksanderpolo View Post
    Back to the lens... If the rumor is true, I wonder why they think they need a 25/1.4 more than a fast portrait such as 50/1.4...
    I´m with you here. It doesn´t sound like the brightest move to come up with this lens when you have a very similar pancake (20mm f1.7). Sure, it is faster but had they came up with a 50mm f1.4 they would probably sell more and wouldn´t have to lower the price of the 20mm. I´ve been using for sometime a Pentax 50mm f1.4 that I really love, but focusing manually in low light is tough. A quality micro 4/3 50mm would be a very nice welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

For the record, I'm staying out of this one
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Perhaps because a 25 f1.4 is already designed and in production for 4/3. It might be faster/easy to simply shrink that lens down a bit. In addition the 45 macro also already exists.
    Terry is right. And I´m guessing this will happen to a couple more four thirds lenses. It would not surprise me if the fast zoom that they´ve mentioned is a version of the Panas´14-50mm f2.8-3.5.

Post Thanks / Like

To me this is good news, or at least good rumors...

I have written earlier about my hopes for a series of lenses that are better made than the current µ4/3 lenses. It's a long shot, I know, but what if this possible 25/1.4 comes with an aperture ring, a focusing scale and an overall better build quality?! I can see that would be a good thing. Not all lenses have to be pancakes.

Then it is puzzling; why not announce and start designing a very fast short tele?

/Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

True story: A few years ago, I hit that Certain Age when it was time for The Diagnostic Procedure That Dare Not Speak Its Name. I had also just bought an Olympus E-1. When I went to the doctor's for the initial consult, I brought the E-1 manual with me to study in the waiting room. Well, when the doctor called me in and saw the manual in my hand, his face brightened, and he said, "Hey, we use Olympus, too! They have *great* optics!" Then, sensing in me a kindred spirit, he proceded to tell me all about how those great optics would superbly image my inner workings, described to a level of detail that I honestly could have lived without.

--Peter
    Last edited by Peter Klein; 28th September 2010 at 23:02.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am truly sorry to hear about the health issues (Keith, Peter).

Olympus diagnostic tools (everything from microscope to more sophisticated things or parts of them or the principles involved with those) can also be pressed for photography.

I hope to post something cheerful using such.

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry about your diagnosis, Keith. No health issues re. my story, Vivek. In the U.S., it is routine to get a colonoscopy every few years starting at age 50. Actually, I'm glad the doctor said what he said, it makes a great story. The doctor was going to do something unpleasant, but at least he was a fellow lens conoisseur using a brand I appreciate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

from 43rumors.com...

Thanks to a french 43rumors reader we can show you the very first picture of the Panasonic GF2!!! The picture shows the advertising at “Salon de la Photo” in Paris (the event starts tomorrow). The GF2 looks like the Panasonic LX5! And with the new Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 lens lens it is the smallest mirrorless kit on earth! It has 12 megapixel (The same G2 sensor), records FullHD, a complete new imaging processor, touchscreen and announcement is expected at 6am London time (November 4th). Follow 43rumors! We will keep you updated with all news and previews!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    from 43rumors.com...

Thanks to a french 43rumors reader we can show you the very first picture of the Panasonic GF2!!! The picture shows the advertising at “Salon de la Photo” in Paris (the event starts tomorrow). The GF2 looks like the Panasonic LX5! And with the new Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 lens lens it is the smallest mirrorless kit on earth! It has 12 megapixel (The same G2 sensor), records FullHD, a complete new imaging processor, touchscreen and announcement is expected at 6am London time (November 4th). Follow 43rumors! We will keep you updated with all news and previews!
    Thanks Brad for the post . . . . .

. . . . . looking forward to seeing some reviews . . . . . at first glance and from reading the description I am not that excited.

I really love my GF1 and was hoping they would follow the lead of the GH2 with a larger sensor/firmware and an upgraded EVF.

Life is Grand!

Dan
    ~

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This maybe sets the stage for something in between the GF and G/GH style in 2011.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure what the GF2 buys us yet but looks at the moment to be just a evolutionary change. Hold final judgement till announcement and most likely get one in when NEXT YEAR. Can't wait that long. Need something NOW. LOL

Yes gear slut President and CEO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    The GF2 looks like the Panasonic LX5! And with the new Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 lens lens it is the smallest mirrorless kit on earth!

The size of the rumored GF2 is good news (another new battery?) but the 14/2.5 won't make the smallest mirrorless kit for me.

Sony NEX-5 plus some lenses might do it for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Folks we should actually start a new thread on the GF2 also since this one was more a rumor. That way we can get it in a real thread.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Folks we should actually start a new thread on the GF2 also since this one was more a rumor. That way we can get it in a real thread.
    Quite agree - this one has a distasteful grumpy bit at the top as well.

Wouldn't it be good to start one beginning with Brad's post of a couple of hours ago (and let the rest drop back where it should be).

pretty please?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay Brad is offline so I will start it but everyone needs to copy and paste there comments in the new Thread. I can't do that under peoples' names .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay thread started and I will lock this one just because it makes no sense to continue on this one. Thanks Folks and please copy your last posts over to new thread, sorry I ask you to work a little here on this. Guy