The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More banding in RAW than JPEG GH1?

MRfanny

Back on the banding bandwagon again.

I started off shooting jpegs when I first got the camera, then i got into LR and colour grading so I began shooting in RAW to get the most out of IQ. Banding/Fixed pattern noise has become a big annoyance to me with the GH1 in the photography department. I see it in the majority of my shots, especially in the shadows which is making me seriously consider buying a G1 GF1 or a canon/nikon.

What i discovered the other day while randomly deciding to revisit the jpeg that accompany's the RAW was that it had significantly less banding, enough to bring a smile back to my face and some hope back into shooting stills with the GH1. What I also noticed was colour profiles like standard,nostalgic,etc does not affect RAW images only jpeg, is this correct? they all looked the same where as the jpegs differed.

I guess my question here is how do i get the cleaner JPEG look with less banding with my RAW files? Will i get the same deal shooting in RAW with the GF1 and G1? Is shooting in RAW overrated?

Cheers.

MRfanny

ok so i have kinda self educated myself as to the differences in RAW vs JPEG.

anyone willing to share some tips to making my RAW's look like the cleaner jpeg in terms of reduced banding noise. i don't mind grain noise, its the fixed pattern noise on the gh1 that bothers me.

cheers.