The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A camera coming from Kenko for those with loads of c-mount lenses!

zcream

With a 6mm lens, I'd 1/2-inch CCD. They have just taken a P&S sensor probably from Sony and put a removable lens body on it.

Not worth more than 200 bucks.

apicius9

I had been wondering about that, taking an old P&S body with aperture control, ripping out the lens and adding a c-mount thread instead. But I have no clue what I'm doing and I assume the camera software would complain anyway...

Stefan

M

mjohnston

Yeah I have a Canon G3 that has a busted lens I had been thinking about doing that to. I also fear that the camera software will complain too much about the busted lens function. I wonder if a hacked firmware could get around it.

paparazzi666

it would be great if someone made a c-mount camera to take 16mm c-mount lenses? the sensor size should be the same as 16mm film format. that sensor would be much bigger than compact cameras but smaller than m43 sensor.

but walah, instant availability of tons of high speed lenses on the market. i would buy one instantly.

paparazzi666

please kenko, make the camera look and feel like a leica m9. place the evf in the same position as the leica m9, but keep it a hi-res evf like the olympus vf2. also please make the shutter SILENT. it would be a great stealth camera. i could use my many c mount lenses acquired for the ep2 already. i dont mind a 2.5" lcd behind if that lowers cost. this would be a pretty sexy camera...

zcream

6mm f1.4 for 1/2-inch sensors are available for 50 bucks or even less sometimes. f1.4 zooms for 1/2-inch are also common.

1/2-inch sensors are the same as those on P&S cameras of the major brands

RichA

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20100925_396108.html

Available February, 2011, with a standard 6mm f/1.4 lens. Only jpgs, 14MP.
All that putting such a lens on a P&S would get you is (maybe) a slightly wider angle than whatever zoom it had with a little more speed. Also, longer lenses with speed would be no good as they would simply dwarf the camera body. Much like those silly NEX5 longer lens combos you see. But, a 2/3" sensor, with modern sensor and processing technology coupled to a fast, reasonably wide lens would be truly pocketable and actually worth carrying.

R

raymondluo

it would be great if someone made a c-mount camera to take 16mm c-mount lenses? the sensor size should be the same as 16mm film format. that sensor would be much bigger than compact cameras but smaller than m43 sensor.

but walah, instant availability of tons of high speed lenses on the market. i would buy one instantly.
Someone did, but in a video camera (and in no manner of the word inexpensive). http://www.ikonoskop.com/dii/

B

bcostin

I had been wondering about that, taking an old P&S body with aperture control, ripping out the lens and adding a c-mount thread instead. But I have no clue what I'm doing and I assume the camera software would complain anyway...

Stefan
I remember seeing someone who had done that, a while back. If I remember right, he modified a very simple P&S that only had a fixed lens. That does keep things simple, but it limits your choices. It'd be fun to try, though.

I suppose it'd also be possible to trick or bypass an internal lens-error detection system, either in hardware or firmware, but I have no idea how. A search on the CHDK forum turned up one guy who's done this (via hardware) to a Canon A530 for astrophotography:

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=3409.0