Site Sponsors

Thread: Using a View finder

Post Thanks / Like

Using a View finder

I purchased a Panasonic GF1 and can not use it in bright day light. As the LCD monitor picture is so washed out that I can not see nor focus the camera.
    I do not have a view finder.
    What are you all doing to use these cameras in bright light. Are all of you using a view finder or is there another way to use this camera.

Thanks Rick
    Sunny Florida Rick of Fla

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Using a View finder

I set the LCD to the Auto brightness mode then do a plus 2 on brightness and a plus 1 on saturation. Then in really bright light, I use the optional EVF or shade the LCD with my hand.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Cheapo [relatively] option.
    Last edited by mediumcool; 21st October 2010 at 02:18. Reason: stuffed it up!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rick,

I have the electronic finder for my GF1.

I have also experimented with a cheap Russian 35mm shoe-mounted finder. The framing is amazingly accurate for the 20mm f1.7 Lumix lens!

The only problem is focusing. Since the GF1 cannot use hyperfocal settings (no scale, and the camera doesn't know the focus distance), I have to first point the camera where I want it to autofocus, then recompose if I don't want the subject in the center. Other than that problem, it's ideal for street shooting.

Hope this helps.

Reed

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the aux. EVF since I bought the GF1 a bit over a year ago. Truthfully I would not have bought the camera without knowing I could have an EVF--because I have a G1 and knew I couldn't use just the LCD. I leave the EVF on all the time without problem and carry the camera all the time. I also have a Voigtlander 35mm finder that works fine with the 20 as stated above and is bright and large but I still prefer the EVF even though its no match for the G1 EVF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    I set the LCD to the Auto brightness mode then do a plus 2 on brightness and a plus 1 on saturation. Then in really bright light, I use the optional EVF or shade the LCD with my hand.
    Hoodman makes a loupe which fits over the LCD and hangs from your neck. For really bright contrasty daylight, this is the ideal tool IMHO

Woody