The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using a View finder

Scargos2

I purchased a Panasonic GF1 and can not use it in bright day light. As the LCD monitor picture is so washed out that I can not see nor focus the camera.
I do not have a view finder.
What are you all doing to use these cameras in bright light. Are all of you using a view finder or is there another way to use this camera.

Thanks Rick

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I set the LCD to the Auto brightness mode then do a plus 2 on brightness and a plus 1 on saturation. Then in really bright light, I use the optional EVF or shade the LCD with my hand.

Hi Rick,

I have the electronic finder for my GF1.

I have also experimented with a cheap Russian 35mm shoe-mounted finder. The framing is amazingly accurate for the 20mm f1.7 Lumix lens!

The only problem is focusing. Since the GF1 cannot use hyperfocal settings (no scale, and the camera doesn't know the focus distance), I have to first point the camera where I want it to autofocus, then recompose if I don't want the subject in the center. Other than that problem, it's ideal for street shooting.

Hope this helps.

Reed

Diane B

I've used the aux. EVF since I bought the GF1 a bit over a year ago. Truthfully I would not have bought the camera without knowing I could have an EVF--because I have a G1 and knew I couldn't use just the LCD. I leave the EVF on all the time without problem and carry the camera all the time. I also have a Voigtlander 35mm finder that works fine with the 20 as stated above and is bright and large but I still prefer the EVF even though its no match for the G1 EVF.

woodyspedden

I set the LCD to the Auto brightness mode then do a plus 2 on brightness and a plus 1 on saturation. Then in really bright light, I use the optional EVF or shade the LCD with my hand.
Hoodman makes a loupe which fits over the LCD and hangs from your neck. For really bright contrasty daylight, this is the ideal tool IMHO

Woody