The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why do I need an expensive tripod?

apicius9

...If a kitchen knife is 80% as as sharp as the next, it will still slice the tomato cleanly...
Tomatoes, yes, but don't say that to a sushi chef who insists that the cutting surface of the fish determines the taste and only the sharpest knives suffice ;) But I see your point, my analogy was not a very good example.

I guess this is something where experience is really important, so I will try using what I have for a while longer and then borrow or rent something on a higher quality level and see what difference it will make for the way take pictures.

And just to make sure that this didn't come across the wrong way: I perfectly understand why people strive for the best possible outcome, and how important the (costly) details can be, so I am not criticizing anybody who goes that route. If I could afford it - or make it my highest priority - I would probably go there myself. It makes total sense that low weight AND stability will cost more

Stefan

ustein

Contributing Editor
Jono wrote:

>I now have a novel approach . . . I don't use tripods at all.

Jono, I am with you 98% of the time. But if I want to photograph something like this:

or this:

I need and want a sturdy tripod.

bradhusick

Go for quality, but there's no need to splurge on carbon fiber. Buy used from people you trust or learn enough about to trust. Tripods, like audio speakers and some other items, if cared for, are just as good or even better used than new. Ask the seller for a 24-hour inspection period during which a full return/refund is possible. Good sellers will do that for you.

P.S. I love sushi.

Lars

It's a matter of perspective. Seeing the camera as an expensive accessory to your tripod might perhaps help evolve the decision process a bit.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I think there's also another perspective that will come in to play in a few more years of shooting - the OP will either go te way of Jono and enjoy the creative freedom of handheld shooting or will come to appreciate the wisdom explained here. i.e. if you're going to shoot with a tripod then you may as well buy the absolute best you can afford now rather than spending a lot more money over time as you accumulate a herd of tripods/heads until you finally relent and buy a real quality one anyway.

CPWarner

I am with Uwe. While I like to shoot without a tripod, there are many cases where the tripod is absolutely necessary, including long exposures where one is trying to blur water or other movement. Simply cant do that hand held.

Leigh

Sharpness is certainly not the only criterion by which a photo is judged. In many cases it's not even near the top of the list.

But if it is important, you must use a tripod. I don't care how much practice you've had shooting hand-held, you can't control wind, breathing, muscle twitches, etc.

I doubt that anyone would seriously question Ansel Adam's creativity based on the fact that he used a tripod.

- Leigh

Last edited: