The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Updating firmware on IR converted G series bodies

G

geoffox23

Has anyone updated their G1/GF1/GH1 after having the IR conversion done?

My recently acquired G1 is on Version 1.00, I am reluctant to "fix something that ain't broke" without some reassurance. I am told that the custom white balance will need recalibrating.

Cheers
Geoff

Rich M

Has anyone updated their G1/GF1/GH1 after having the IR conversion done?

My recently acquired G1 is on Version 1.00, I am reluctant to "fix something that ain't broke" without some reassurance. I am told that the custom white balance will need recalibrating.

Cheers
Geoff
Sorry Geoff......can't help you there. I am in the same IIABDFI (if it ain't broke don't fix it) camp.

I have a 715nm converted GH-1 and it works just fine as it is. Don't want to screw it up.

Wish I could be more help......R

V

Vivek

The biggest changes (FW updates) were:

1. Distortion corrections applied for 20/1.7 and other lenses.

2. Improved AF

If you can live with distortions, the second factor has no effect for IR.

The 20/1.7 (old FW) focuses faster in IR than the a G1 with the latest update in visible.

My suggestion is to leave it as it is.

G

geoffox23

After discussions with Myles at Precision Camera (they did the conversion), I have updated to firmware v1.5 with no complications.

I have the 14-45 and 20/1.7 lenses, use Panasonic batteries and the custom white balance needed to be reset, and all seems fine.

Thanks for the replies, and special thanks to Cindy Flood, who sold me the camera. IR is a fun new experience.