The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sharing a Fall Picture from GH1 and some Morning Mist

I

IanB

I had to share, hope you enjoy this fall photo. Not often is this field in fog, so I immediately yanked the car over and started throwing gear together to capture what would be about 10 minutes of sun-rise and fog lifting. This was the best shot.

simonclivehughes

Ian,

If you're up for some constructive criticism, I offer the following:

The foreground branches are distracting, especially the one on the right... I'd consider Photoshopping it out. This will give a better balance between the foreground branch at lower left and the trees upper right.

For the future, I would try a smaller aperture to have the foreground in focus too. It would then act as a better anchor to give the composition depth.

Cheers,

I

IanB

Simon,
Thank you for the tips...I think I was trying to do what you said, and ended up doing what I was familiar with (shallow depth of field stuff). I shouldn't have been afraid to stop down to F16, (I was on F5.6 I think) and crank down the shutter speed.

I was on a tripod, so a slower shutter would have been fine I think.
Next time I will go deeper depth of field, and frame without the out-of-focus brush. I do have a few shots without the distracting blur on the right side, but to my eye's when I edited the photo's, this one felt the best framed and it had the best light. Next time I will be sure it has the best depth of field too!

IB

simonclivehughes

Actually Ian, you're better to keep your aperture to about f8 or f11 for m4/3 to avoid lens diffraction which can cause the image to lose sharpness/resolution.

It's hard to do an out-of-focus foreground as our eyes don't really see this when we look at something. It can therefore seem odd when we look at it in a picture.

Best of luck!

ekoe

I appreciate out of focus objects in the foreground; to me it seems to accentuate depth to the frame, contrary to what Simon says above.

For instance, I like the out of focus branch in the lower left foreground of the image.

Do what YOU like.

R

raymondluo

I agree with ekoe. It looks like a POV shot, like I was right there in the scene. The only thing missing would be zombies chasing me from behind.