Site Sponsors

Thread: Sharing a Fall Picture from GH1 and some Morning Mist

IanB

Sharing a Fall Picture from GH1 and some Morning Mist

I had to share, hope you enjoy this fall photo. Not often is this field in fog, so I immediately yanked the car over and started throwing gear together to capture what would be about 10 minutes of sun-rise and fog lifting. This was the best shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sharing a Fall Picture from GH1 and some Morning Mist

Ian,

If you're up for some constructive criticism, I offer the following:

The foreground branches are distracting, especially the one on the right... I'd consider Photoshopping it out. This will give a better balance between the foreground branch at lower left and the trees upper right.

For the future, I would try a smaller aperture to have the foreground in focus too. It would then act as a better anchor to give the composition depth.

Cheers,

IanB

Simon,
    Thank you for the tips...I think I was trying to do what you said, and ended up doing what I was familiar with (shallow depth of field stuff). I shouldn't have been afraid to stop down to F16, (I was on F5.6 I think) and crank down the shutter speed.

I was on a tripod, so a slower shutter would have been fine I think.
    Next time I will go deeper depth of field, and frame without the out-of-focus brush. I do have a few shots without the distracting blur on the right side, but to my eye's when I edited the photo's, this one felt the best framed and it had the best light. Next time I will be sure it has the best depth of field too!

IB

Post Thanks / Like

Actually Ian, you're better to keep your aperture to about f8 or f11 for m4/3 to avoid lens diffraction which can cause the image to lose sharpness/resolution.

It's hard to do an out-of-focus foreground as our eyes don't really see this when we look at something. It can therefore seem odd when we look at it in a picture.

Best of luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate out of focus objects in the foreground; to me it seems to accentuate depth to the frame, contrary to what Simon says above.

For instance, I like the out of focus branch in the lower left foreground of the image.

Do what YOU like.

raymondluo

I agree with ekoe. It looks like a POV shot, like I was right there in the scene. The only thing missing would be zombies chasing me from behind.