The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic 14-42mm is inferior to 14-45mm

M

minh0204

The test on DPreview seems to confirm this. I have no idea why they have to swap a perfectly fine lens for an inferior one. Perhaps the new lens was designed with video in mind? Or is that simply a cost-cut homework poorly done by Panasonic?

Jerry_R

Video works OK with both. I had both lenses, I sold 14-42mm immediately. The difference is even bigger than on above charts...

My only explanation is Panasonic thinking like: Olympus worse u43 lenses sell, so why we are to produce better ones? If noone cares? Of course it is a mistake, no doubts...

DavidL

I'd heard this was probable so I got a G1 with the 14-45 at knock down price while they were around. I also liked the blue body. Pathetic maybe, but it was cheaper and I just like the colour.
Looking forward to more concrete reviews of GH2 which may well become my carry around outfit. Recently spent a day working over Dartmoor with a Nikon with 14-24 and 70-200, at 63 it was a bit of a strain and I hitch hiked the last mile and a half back to the car. The fish and chips in the pub was wondrous.

C

CJS

I'd heard this was probable so I got a G1 with the 14-45 at knock down price while they were around. I also liked the blue body. Pathetic maybe, but it was cheaper and I just like the colour.
Looking forward to more concrete reviews of GH2 which may well become my carry around outfit. Recently spent a day working over Dartmoor with a Nikon with 14-24 and 70-200, at 63 it was a bit of a strain and I hitch hiked the last mile and a half back to the car. The fish and chips in the pub was wondrous.
I have been laughed at on other sites when I say I'm finding my DSLR kit; Nikon D5000, 18-70, 70-300 a bit heavy after a while. I'm glad its not just me at 63 . . . :deadhorse: I feel like that dead horse some times these days . . . I'm getting very used to the G1 + 14-45mm lens :thumbup: After all, its only me I have to impress . . . I sneek the 45-200mm in sometimes as well . . . :toocool:

CJS

jsf

It is funny since I am also 63 and have Nikon gear, I am glad it isn't only me. My kit and gear and tripod weigh in at 14lbs. A day walking around and shooting and I feel it. I don't know how to make it any lighter. In the end I figure if I just lose 14lbs it should even out. Joe

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I had both lenses for about 2 hours. I still have the 14-45. It's probably one of the best kit lenses ever from any format.
The 14-42 is out in the world somewhere. I guess financially it's a cheaper investment for Panny to make the 14-42 but it's, well...
Anyway...the 14-45 will be a classic and collectable in time.

Rich M

I had both lenses for about 2 hours. I still have the 14-45. It's probably one of the best kit lenses ever from any format.
The 14-42 is out in the world somewhere. I guess financially it's a cheaper investment for Panny to make the 14-42 but it's, well...
Anyway...the 14-45 will be a classic and collectable in time.
I agree with you there, Don......it is hard to find ANYTHING wrong with that little baby.

R