Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Olympus E-5 in my hands

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Olympus E-5 in my hands

I usually don't buy anything new right out of the gate. Particularly pro-class cameras ... I usually wait until they get well into the market, until the issues and workarounds are known, until the prices drop a little bit.

I usually wait until my image processing tools can handle their raw files.

The Olympus E-5 manual is in front of me. The battery is on the charger.

I listed an order for one yesterday on Amazon but their vendors had already sold out the first shipment. No biggie, I'm patient. Today, the local store called and said, "We have one for you." I went up to see it, dickered a little on the price (sales tax here would be almost $160), we came to an agreement, and I just arrived home with it.

Now the learning curve begins. I hope Adobe hurries up with DNG Converter/Camera Raw and Lightroom.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Olympus E-5 in my hands

While at the store, I put a 4G card in, fitted the Summilux, and tossed a BLM-1 battery in just to check that the camera worked. Set it on H continuous capture.

Sample Shot:

It was on Auto ISO, Auto WB, JPEGs. This is one of the quick snaps of the salesman. I brought it into LR and just lightened the face as it is backlit ...

Full resolution JPEG (about 2Mbytes) with no other processing at 75% quality.

http://homepage.mac.com/godders/P1010010.jpg
    Olympus E-5 + Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH
    ISO 640 @ f/5.6 @ 1/60 second

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats on your new camera, Godfrey !
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well Done Godfrey
    I hope it does really well - my E3 was my favorite camera for a long time, and if they'd moved forward a bit faster I'd probably still be there.

I'm really interested in how you get on with it.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good Luck with it!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

congrats. keep us updaed on your experience and post some images if you find the time! ENjoy.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all.

I like to read the manual all the way through first before going for a shoot, and there's a lot more to the E-5 controls and function than there is to the E-1, L1 and G1. I'm getting there. Also, I'll have to install Olympus' software as I don't have any other way of processing the .ORFs from this camera as yet.

But I did a few snaps at 800, 1600, 3200 and 6400 ISO. The JPEGs look goo and clean even at ISO 3200. 6400 seems about as noisy as ISO 1600 does on the L1. That's what I was hoping for: two more stops of sensitivity and it looks like it delivers it well ... the Summilux on this camera is going to be a delight for low-light work.

Plus the image stabilization in the body! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey:

Do think that there is NO anti-aliasing filter in the camera???? If correct, that should make for some pretty highly resolved images.

Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Godfrey,

i always found the best place to read a manual, any manual, is in the tub.

keeps you from getting side-tracked by taking away the option to play with your new toy

looking forward to more shots, especially with the Lux. and your opinion, of course!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    Godfrey,

keeps you from getting side-tracked by taking away the option to play with your new toy
    HI Cam
    I COMPLETELY agree - preferably with a LARGE Gin and Tonic . . . mind you, it isn't that often that I actually read manuals, but the principle is perfect!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
    Do think that there is NO anti-aliasing filter in the camera???? If correct, that should make for some pretty highly resolved images.
    Not had enough time to evaluate the camera well enough yet ... I'm in no rush :-) ... but my preliminary snaps seem to indicate its JPEGs resolve detail better than the G1 (same pixel resolution) with both cameras set at the defaults and using the same lens and target.

And I made a mistake before ... ISO 6400 is cleaner than I thought; I'd underexposed the snap I was comparing a bit. I think it has almost a three stop gain in useful sensitivity and a corresponding increase in dynamic range down in the ISO 200 range.

Until Lightroom is enabled for the E-5, I can't really make any definitive statements, though, as I use Lightroom for my raw processing. All the observations above are based on looking at OOC JPEGs.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    Godfrey,

looking forward to more shots, especially with the Lux. and your opinion, of course!
    I can't read in the tub at all. And never when I'm drinking ... a shot of scotch or wine puts me to sleep fast. No, my best reading is right here, in my reading chair. I'm halfway through the manual now. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to be a great camera then - 3 f-stops more usable etc....

I am interested in more details, please keep it coming .....

Peter

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Cam
    I COMPLETELY agree - preferably with a LARGE Gin and Tonic . . . mind you, it isn't that often that I actually read manuals, but the principle is perfect!
    I don't have a tub, I have neither gin nor tonic and I most certainly don't have an E-5. Do I exist at all, or is it time o give up, crawl back into my cave and take photos of dripstone formations with my obsolete, old Nikons

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I don't have a tub, I have neither gin nor tonic and I most certainly don't have an E-5. Do I exist at all, or is it time o give up, crawl back into my cave and take photos of dripstone formations with my obsolete, old Nikons
    Well, to be honest Jorgen, although I cannot deny the existence of said Bath Tub, I don't have any Gin either (if we buy it the children drink it first), and therefore no tonic.
    However this doesn't matter, because I never read manuals, especially those for the E5, because, like you, I don't even have an E-5, let alone it's manual.

However, as a general principle, IF:
    1. I did have an E-5
    2. I decided to read the manual

Then I think it indubitable that I would go out and buy some Gin and Tonic especially to read it in the bath.

You would probably be able to borrow someone else's bath?

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, to be honest Jorgen, although I cannot deny the existence of said Bath Tub, I don't have any Gin either (if we buy it the children drink it first), and therefore no tonic.
    However this doesn't matter, because I never read manuals, especially those for the E5, because, like you, I don't even have an E-5, let alone it's manual.

1. I did have an E-5

Then I think it indubitable that I would go out and buy some Gin and Tonic especially to read it in the bath.

LOL! I'm not certain whether this is a Philosophy 101 course or an Abbott and Costello skit. ];-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

ISO 3200 seems quite usable:

Olympus E-5 + Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH
    ISO 3200 @ f/4 @ 1/40 second

Click image above for unaltered, out of the camera, full resolution original JPEG. (about 6 Mbytes)

Can't wait to work on files like this with the Lightroom 3 tools from raw!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey, looking good, wonderful shot with the 25/1.4 @ f4!

Looking forward to seeing more!

Life is Grand!

Dan
    ~

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    LOL! I'm not certain whether this is a Philosophy 101 course or an Abbott and Costello skit. ];-)
    Aren't the best things in life always both?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cam has the bathtub... I have the shower.... so reading the manual would be difficult for me... but on the other hand I could take the e-5 into the shower and learn to use it in my usual way by pressing buttons and see what happens.... the gin and tonic may be tricky though... perhaps I could rig up something with a bottle of red wine and a drinking tube :-)

K

PS... congrats on getting the E-5 - I am in 2 minds on whether it is a direction i want to go - love my e-p1 and my 510 because they are small and light.... if i am going to carry big and bulky then my 5D is kinda hard to beat

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Godfrey

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new camera and ISO 3200 looks good and certainly useful at the very least on small prints/ web use.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Godfrey, very nice indeed and congrats.

cheers

ric

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

1. I did have an E-5

all the best
    Nah... I'm not too fond of gin anyway. Do manuals go down well with Islay whisky? Lagavulin isn't too brute and should match the rather smooth operation of an Olympus camera, don't you think?

Bath? No, only foreigners have bathtubs in this country... oh wait... I know a couple of those I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lag goes better with candlelight, as do most of the Islay whiskies... as such, they suck for manual reading but are brilliant for using your camera in manual by a nice toasty fire.

Post Thanks / Like

Hasn't it been famously stated that if the user has to read the manual, the product is not well-designed?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daysleeper View Post
    Hasn't it been famously stated that if the user has to read the manual, the product is not well-designed?
    That's an overstatement, an oversimplification of the goals of good UI.

In the case of a camera, a manufacturer can only make one design and it has to serve a wide variety of different uses as well as a wide variety of different people. So a good goal is to produce something which out of the box and set to the defaults can produce good results (positive feedback) while also having enough depth of features, controls and options to allow it to be customized to both the use demands and the people demands. The design of the interface should be logical, should lead the user from the basic first use to more sophisticated use in a sensible way. It should be easily rememberable for those things used often and its logic should allow quick rediscovery of capabilities and settings infrequently used once the preferred configuration is set up.

The E-5 is like this exactly. It is a complex and sophisticated device with, for most of its capabilities, at least two paths to setting and controlling them. It has a range of customizations on top of its range of features. Coming to it afresh, it produced great pictures right out of the box after simply fitting a battery, card and lens, 100% on the defaults. It took me five minutes to learn the basics of use from manipulating the controls. I could have stopped there and gotten on with it.

(Something like a Leica M9 is almost at the opposite end of the spectrum. Aside from nuances in its image processing system, the M9's functions and features are very limited. It's pretty much as close to the "focus-exposure-frame-expose-wind" as a digital camera can get. What customizations and sophisticated features there are are few, are small, and one can probably learn everything about the syntax of that logic just as quickly from working the controls as you can from reading a manual. But then, you might just miss something then too.)

I prefer to understand the logic more thoroughly. I find this enables me to understand a camera and what I can do with it much more swiftly than any amount of "hunt and peck" discovery can achieve, with any camera of this level of sophistication and complexity. To make it easy on myself, I usually read the manual through once, quickly, then go back and re-read the more interesting sections while I experiment with each of the controls per section directly. I find it helps me learn and understand, "read" the designer's logic very quickly when I do this.

And six months from now, when I encounter a situation where some infrequently used option can make a difference, because I will thoroughly understand the camera's logic I'll find it again very fast ... usually without having to go back to the manual.

I always keep a copy of the camera manual, for any modern camera, in my bag with me when I'm on a shoot nonetheless. Sometimes looking up a function and reading about it is indeed the fastest way to solving a problem. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Godfrey,

as somebody who had to do tech support for a lot of pig-headed men (yes! i can say that because they didn't like hearing from a woman how to operate their equipment and i occasionally found myself having to ask my male secretary to act as "translator"), i wholeheartedly agree! if more people would RTFM in the first place, there would be a lot less disappointment in products...

i honestly applaud that you do.

(though you don't know what you're missing by not doing the first read-through in the tub )

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I always keep a copy of the camera manual, for any modern camera, in my bag with me when I'm on a shoot nonetheless. Sometimes looking up a function and reading about it is indeed the fastest way to solving a problem. ;-)
    I'm with Cam on this - although not with myself, in that I rarely read manuals, although I do always keep the manual for new cameras in my bag for reference.

But I do write manuals, and it's quite irritating when someone asks a question one has (clearly of course) answered!

Having abandoned Olympus, I'm rather jealous of your new experience with the E5 - I really hope that it's a rip-roaring success (and then they can put something similar in a body like the E1!)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

ISO 3200 seems quite usable:

Can't wait to work on files like this with the Lightroom 3 tools from raw!
    Speaking of. I was on Olympus's sites and didn't see an upgrade for Viewer or Master that would process the E-5 raws. Aside from what you probably got in the box, is there anything available out there that will?
    thanks

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    Speaking of. I was on Olympus's sites and didn't see an upgrade for Viewer or Master that would process the E-5 raws. Aside from what you probably got in the box, is there anything available out there that will?
    The version of Olympus Viewer 2 that comes in the box is the only released application software currently able to read E-5 .ORF files to the best of my knowledge. I expect that to change very soon.

However, given that the sensor is very closely related to the E-30 sensor, if you go in with EXIFtool and change the Camera ID to "E-30" in the .ORF files, the E-5 files are immediately usable in Lightroom 3.2. Camera calibration profiles might be off, but that's a simple matter to rectify by using DNG Profile Editor or Xrite Passport software to create an appropriate camera calibration profile.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

... (and then they can put something similar in a body like the E1!)
    I doubt they can, or would even be interested to try. Much of the difference in body size with the E-3/E-5 has to do with the viewfinder and image stabilization system, and was necessary.

With just a little time to work with the E-5 and two months of using the E-1 exclusively before that, my hands have already adapted to the E-5 layout. I picked up the E-1 and it felt different ... Just points out: our musculature and such are much more adaptable than the camera design and manufacturing processes can ever be.

To me, the E-3 was a very well laid out, nicely realized and developed design. Different from the E-1 for sure: a little less organic and more practical. I'm glad they didn't change the E-5 body from the E-3 very much: I liked it immediately when I first handled the E-3 in 2007.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

how much bigger is it, Godfrey, compared to the E-1?

oops! you were answering the question as i typed it... nevermind.

Post Thanks / Like

But I do write manuals, and it's quite irritating when someone asks a question one has (clearly of course) answered!
    Sometimes the hardest thing to find is what's right in front of you.

Post Thanks / Like

A just want to thank you Godfrey for sharing your thoughts on the E5.

gurin

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Godfrey.
    Just a question, the LV shhoting activation is as noisy as it is in E3 or is it usable also in a quiet environment?
    Cheers,
    Ario

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To me, the E-3 was a very well laid out, nicely realized and developed design. Different from the E-1 for sure: a little less organic and more practical. I'm glad they didn't change the E-5 body from the E-3 very much: I liked it immediately when I first handled the E-3 in 2007.
    HI Godfrey -
    I do agree - I liked my E3 as well. Perhaps what I mean rather than size explicitly is the 'organicness' of the E1 - three points:
    1. that feeling of solidity that the E3 was slightly missing
    2. such an elegant design on the E1 (E5 looks more utilitarian)
    3. The shutter noise . . . but you'll agree with that!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I spent yesterday playing with button configuration settings and think I arrived at a good setup. So this morning I took my walk and breakfast with friends as normal and carried the E-5 into the field for the first time.

"If it doesn't make sense, it's not true!"

Olympus E-5 + ZD 11-22mm f/2.8-3.5
    ISO 1600 @ f/5.6 @ 1/60 second, 22mm
    from the JPEG output, camera defaults on image processing

With the setup as I've made so far, my attention was on content rather than camera. This is a good start.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    Thank you Godfrey.
    Just a question, the LV shhoting activation is as noisy as it is in E3 or is it usable also in a quiet environment?
    Sorry, but I've never used Live View mode on an E-3 so I can't really judge whether the E-5 is any quieter in operation. One thing on the E-5 that might make a difference is that I noticed an option to disable Phase Detect focusing in Live View. This might reduce the amount of mirror flapping that goes on ... I don't know for sure.

I don't think any SLR using Live View is going to be "quiet" the way a Micro-FourThirds camera or NEX can be.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

HI Godfrey -
    I do agree - I liked my E3 as well. Perhaps what I mean rather than size explicitly is the 'organicness' of the E1 - three points:
    1. that feeling of solidity that the E3 was slightly missing
    2. such an elegant design on the E1 (E5 looks more utilitarian)
    3. The shutter noise . . . but you'll agree with that!
    Hmm.

- I don't feel any difference in 'solidity' ... I might not be as sensitive to that nuance as you. Feels pretty much the same to my hands.

- Looks ... eh? De gustibus non disputandem. I like both, I think they're both wonderful, utilitarian looking hammers.

- The E-5 shutter/mirror sound is brighter and higher pitched than the E-1, for sure. The E-1's shutter/mirror is soft and gentle, it's almost blurred. The E-5 sounds more business-like.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lot of people have asked me what the noise at various ISO settings looks like. This might answer:

http://www.gdgphoto.com/Olympus_E-5-ISO_check/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

- The E-5 shutter/mirror sound is brighter and higher pitched than the E-1, for sure. The E-1's shutter/mirror is soft and gentle, it's almost blurred. The E-5 sounds more business-like.
    and much much much louder!
    It just seems tragic to me that the E1 has the quietest shutter of any dSLR, by a big margin (quieter than an M8 by a margin). . . . . and it doesn't seem to be of interest to anyone any more.

Oh Well

The ISO tests look really good, and beauty is certainly in the eyes of the beholder.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It just seems tragic to me that the E1 has the quietest shutter of any dSLR, by a big margin (quieter than an M8 by a margin). . . . . and it doesn't seem to be of interest to anyone any more.

Oh Well
    it makes a huge difference to me... that's why i got the E-1

(and my M8 is now quieter... well, except for the horrid recock which seems to petrify poodles.)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Well

The ISO tests look really good, and beauty is certainly in the eyes of the beholder.
    I guess the shutter sound doesn't bother me. I recorded them both, same settings on the digital recorder: it doesn't appear to be much louder, just a different timbre and sound shape.

I'm happy with the noise samples. ISO 6400 is useful, although ISO 1600 is where I will likely stay most of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

The version of Olympus Viewer 2 that comes in the box is the only released application software currently able to read E-5 .ORF files to the best of my knowledge. I expect that to change very soon.

However, given that the sensor is very closely related to the E-30 sensor, if you go in with EXIFtool and change the Camera ID to "E-30" in the .ORF files, the E-5 files are immediately usable in Lightroom 3.2. Camera calibration profiles might be off, but that's a simple matter to rectify by using DNG Profile Editor or Xrite Passport software to create an appropriate camera calibration profile.
    Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,

Over at the dpreview forum the E-1 still has a very, very strong following led by that infamous henchman " Bootstrap Bill"! Seriously for a lot of us it is still the camera of choice even though it is rather an antique by today's standards.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bbodine9 View Post
    Jono,

Over at the dpreview forum the E-1 still has a very, very strong following led by that infamous henchman " Bootstrap Bill"! Seriously for a lot of us it is still the camera of choice even though it is rather an antique by today's standards.
    HI There - hope you're well, nice to hear from you.

Silas has been using my E1 for a few years now - I play with it sometimes, and still think it's the nicest feeling SLR I've ever had, and that shutter noise!

But even he's cracked and fancies something with more pixels and higher ISO.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Godfrey, congratulations on you new toy.

Just can't wait for the day when the first will batch will be delivered in Germany.

By the way: I read that the shutter is louder than the one of the E-1 but clearly less loud than the one of the E-3. And soon (hopefully) I will know how it compares to the one of the E-30.

Post Thanks / Like

No E-5 here in Germany
    In the meantime i fulfilled another dream: The Panaleica 25 mm f1.4. While strolling around in the city a passed the showcase of a photodealer and my beloved wife said: "My dear, is that the lens you talked about last week ??" Well, what can i say else: "Yes my dear, take that beautiful pair of Valentino shoes ... i will be back in a second. Go and try that shoes....!"

Wow, what a lens !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Klaus.... welcome to the club :-)