The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

1:1 Macro with a GF1

Godfrey

What options are there for shooting 1:1 macro with a GF1, adapters, lenses, extension tubes?
Simplest and most basic:

- Buy Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm f/2.8 ASPH OIS lens.
- Fit to camera, make pictures.

Tons of other ways to go depending on what level of complexity you want to get into and what kind of subject matter you want to shoot.

What sort of things do you want to photograph?

seakayaker

Insects, flowers. Indoor and outdoor. Does the 45mm Macro -elmarit-dg shoot 1:1?
http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/lens/dg_macro_45.html

Specs . . . . .

. . . . . another option would be the Olympus ED 50mm F2.0 Macro with your GF1. you can see what it would look like here. http://www.four-thirds.org/en/special/matching.html . . . . . and read about the lens here, http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1327

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Last edited:

photoSmart42

If you don't need/can't afford the PL 45/2.8 m4/3 lens, your world opens up to a ton of options like others have said. Find a good macro lens and buy it in that case - there's likely an adapter for it.

Godfrey

. . . . . another option would be the Olympus ED 50mm F2.0 Macro with your GF1. ...
Problem is that the GF1 does not support the use of the EX25 with this lens so you cannot achieve 1:1 macro focusing with it and have a functional focusing mount or aperture.

It's also much larger and heavier than the Macro-Elmarit 45.

Godfrey

Insects, flowers. Indoor and outdoor. Does the 45mm Macro -elmarit-dg shoot 1:1?
The ME45/2.8 handles 1:1 magnification without accessories.

A macro reproduction ratio of 1:1 on a Micro-FourThirds camera means you are photographing a subject area 13x17.3 mm in size. That might be a touch tight for most flowers. It achieves that magnification at around 5-6 inches lens to subject working distance, which might be a little close for moving insects. For flowers, you probably only need 1:3 to 1:5 magnification in most cases; for insects you might want a longer focal length to have more working room.

I'd suggest reading John Shaw's excellent book "Closeups In Nature" before buying equipment.

But I do recommend the ME45 anyway ... it's a superb performer for many uses, not only macro work.

CPWarner

The Panasonic Leica Macro-Elmarit DG 45mm f/2.8 is a fantastic lens. In my opinion it is one of the best made for m4/3. I have more fun with this lens that all the others, even the Panasonic 7-14 which is also terrific. While it is expensive, it has been totally worth it to me. As stated by Godfrey, it is very useful beyond macro work. If I need something in the 45mm range on the m4/3, I grab that lens.

One other note is that I really like doing macro work with my G2 as the tilt-swivel screen makes that so easy. No more lying on the ground in contortions to see through the viewfinder! The touch screen on the G2 adds another bonus in being able to quickly control the focus point, which is great for macro.

sagar

I am also interested in macro, but not sure I want to buy 45mm at the current price (seems to have gone up recently) So is Olympus 35/3.5 any good? I believe that's give 1:1?

seakayaker

I am also interested in macro, but not sure I want to buy 45mm at the current price (seems to have gone up recently) So is Olympus 35/3.5 any good? I believe that's give 1:1?

. . . . . what happened to the GF1 & 45/2.8 you bought from Brad last May?

As I recall you got a very good deal! :cool:

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

sagar

Had some financial emergency and had to sell...was w/o camera for nearly 2 months...now I am back searching for that deal :(

. . . . . what happened to the GF1 & 45/2.8 you bought from Brad last May?

As I recall you got a very good deal! :cool:

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Howard

I am pretty sure my old 50mm f3.5Canon EF Macro with extension tubes shoots at 1:1. I use it with my G1.

seakayaker

Had some financial emergency and had to sell...was w/o camera for nearly 2 months...now I am back searching for that deal :(
I do hope you are back on your feet and things are going better for you.

. . . . . I had sent and email to Brad shortly after you but you closed the deal, thats the only reason I remembered the circumstances.

Hope you find what your looking for at a good price.

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

lmr

I have the Leica R 100mm f2.8 Macro with 1:1 attachment. It is a GREAT sharp lens and works great on the G1.

I seldom use the 1;1 attachment since on the G1, it is 200mm f2.8. please correct me if I am wrong, but it is already 1:1 w/o the attachment... right?

You can get the R 60mm Macro at a reasonable price nowadays and would also work great as portrait lens... 120mm on 4/3.

Robert.

Godfrey

The Olympus ZD 35/3.5 Macro is a very fine performer at a very reasonable price. It achieves 1:1 magnification. For $300 (lens plus adapter combined), it's one of the best performance/price choices around.

However, it does not autofocus on Panasonic G1/GF1/GH1 bodies, requires the DMW-MA1 or Olympus MMF-2 adapters, lacks image stabilization, and is much bulkier (although not heavier) than the Macro-Elmarit 45mm f/2.8 ASPH OIS.

I've made many very satisfying photographs with this lens.

Godfrey

I have the Leica R 100mm f2.8 Macro with 1:1 attachment.
I seldom use the 1;1 attachment since on the G1, it is 200mm f2.8. please correct me if I am wrong, but it is already 1:1 w/o the attachment... right?
No, that's a misconception.

The magnification ratio "1:1" means that the subject is imaged on the sensor at life size, that is, with a FourThirds format sensor you are capturing a field of view of 13x17.3 mm.

A 1:2 magnification means that this lens on FourThirds format will capture a field of 26x34.6 mm, which is similar enough to a 35mm Film field of view (24x36 mm) to say that it achieves the equivalent subject area as it does at 1:1 on a Leica R camera, but it's still only a 1:2 magnification.

Ron Evers

1:1 for about $75.

All from eBay:

Industar-50, 50/3.5 (M42 mount),

Set of 3 M42 extension tubes (use two to make 50mm),

M42 to M4/3 adapter.

Note where the end of the pencil is pointing & this is that spot taken with the combination in the above picture.

A large expenditure is not required to shoot what you want.