Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GF2 Official Thread

radatax

Re: GF2 Official Thread

So the GF2's a smaller, NEX-like GF1 with a touchscreen... I'm glad Panasonic continues to support this form factor but I'll stick with my hacked GF1 for a while longer. That intimidating mess of buttons on the back becomes a joy to use once you get used to it but then again, a good touchscreen interface would make accessing settings even faster and more intuitive. The GF2 would make an awesome HD camcorder once it gets full manual controls for video.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    I looked at the touch demo video (thanks Terry) and think I could like it but still think a tilt LCD would make it easier/more functional. I noticed in one section that he was using the optional EVF and it looked the same as the current one--which I own. I know some say just buy a G2/H2 if you want an EVF but I DO have a G1 and still like the aux. EVF on my GF1 and just leave it on all the time without any problems. I would sort of hope they would do s better EVF at some point for the GF series but OTOH I wouldn't buy new until/if I would buy a new GF body so....

I hope this is just one additional body for the m4/3 family and that there will be a new body somewhere in between GH2 and GF1.

Another thing-I am, like Dpreview, a bit mystified by partnering the 14/2.5 instead of the 20/1.7. I thought at first it was hitting the FOV of perhaps the X100 or even the X1 but checked and they are both 35mm equivalents. Maybe they did this because so many already own the 20 and wanted to give an enticement to buy the GF2. I admit I was more inclined to buy the GF1 with the 20 paired.

Diane
    I have suspicion the 14mm is much cheaper to produce than the 20mm, but I could be wrong. They could just be catering to the WA crowd. IMO, a 20mm is more useful, overall if you intend to only use that lens. A friend of mine does.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    I have suspicion the 14mm is much cheaper to produce than the 20mm, but I could be wrong.
    I have a suspicion that they are both cheap to make and that Panasonic is just as happy as to be able to sell the 20mm for what they can.

But as I understand it an f2.4 lens will be cheaper to make than a 1.7

They could just be catering to the WA crowd. IMO, a 20mm is more useful, overall if you intend to only use that lens. A friend of mine does.
    I'd be tempted to keep the 14mm on most of the time for 'tourist snapshot' stuff. I find I'm normally after "wide" when walking through a scenic area than others. Of course on 35mm cameras a 24 and a 50 are my normal walking around pair.

Its funny (as a side track) a 24mm (or the 50) in my pocket and the other mounted on an OM-10 is not much of a burden to carry ... unlike a 5D and a 24-105 USM.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    ... Its funny (as a side track) a 24mm (or the 50) in my pocket and the other mounted on an OM-10 is not much of a burden to carry ... unlike a 5D and a 24-105 USM.
    Same deal:
    Putting the Olympus ZD 25/2.8 on the E-5 and the 35/3.5 Macro in my pocket transforms the camera into something else entirely when I go for a walk, compared to carrying it with the 11-22, 14-50 or Summilux 25. It all of a sudden becomes light and seemingly inconspicuous to others.

If Olympus would release a compact ZD 16mm f/3.5, like the Pentax DA 15mm f/4 Limited, I'd be in heaven.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    I have a suspicion that they are both cheap to make and that Panasonic is just as happy as to be able to sell the 20mm for what they can.

But as I understand it an f2.4 lens will be cheaper to make than a 1.7

I'd be tempted to keep the 14mm on most of the time for 'tourist snapshot' stuff. I find I'm normally after "wide" when walking through a scenic area than others. Of course on 35mm cameras a 24 and a 50 are my normal walking around pair.

Its funny (as a side track) a 24mm (or the 50) in my pocket and the other mounted on an OM-10 is not much of a burden to carry ... unlike a 5D and a 24-105 USM.
    I think it's time for Panasonic to come up with something that could match my 16-85mm Nikon. So far, nothing they have does. Their 7-14mm is a good lens, with price to match. Their 14-45mm kit lens is fine, but it could be better. Notice I left out the 14-42mm.