The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF2 Official Thread

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I am starting a real thread on the GF2 here. From a post from one of our members since he is offline I will copy and paste Brads comments to start

from 43rumors.com...

Thanks to a french 43rumors reader we can show you the very first picture of the Panasonic GF2!!! The picture shows the advertising at “Salon de la Photo” in Paris (the event starts tomorrow). The GF2 looks like the Panasonic LX5! And with the new Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 lens lens it is the smallest mirrorless kit on earth! It has 12 megapixel (The same G2 sensor), records FullHD, a complete new imaging processor, touchscreen and announcement is expected at 6am London time (November 4th). Follow 43rumors! We will keep you updated with all news and previews!

seakayaker

So was I. However, this could set the stage for two sorts of models. Ultra small and larger rangefinder type styled "GF" cameras.
I can only hope that they do think about the larger rangefinder type styled 'GF', that would be more in line with what I was hoping for with the GF2 . . . . . time and patience . . . . . . and/or other manufacturer or model in the meantime . . . . .

Also a copy of comment made from the original thread:

Thanks Brad for the post . . . . .

. . . . . looking forward to seeing some reviews . . . . . at first glance and from reading the description I am not that excited.

I really love my GF1 and was hoping they would follow the lead of the GH2 with a larger sensor/firmware and an upgraded EVF.

Life is Grand!

Dan
~

Diane B

Nor am I excited. I do want an EVF so I'll stick with my GF1 with EVF. I may upgrade my G1 but I don't think I'll do it soon. I'm still really wanting one system and I'm going to have to make a decision about my 5D at some point. OTOH, not shooting commercially anymore and not printing much above 13 x 19 these days, I've been reasonably happy with m4/3rds so may decide to stay smaller and lighter and compromise a bit on what I like with FF.

Diane

m3photo

EVF add on ... or not

Nor am I excited. I do want an EVF so I'll stick with my GF1 with EVF. I may upgrade my G1 but I don't think I'll do it soon.
I find the G1 to be a perfect go-anywhere companion. The only thing I missed was making it a little smaller so I finally bought the 20mm f/1.7 for it when in London last week. It's an amazingly good lens, even wide open! This for me is the way to make it more portable; not buying something like a GF and then having to fit an EVF add-on, thus bringing it back almost to the size of a G1 with the constant worry about catching it on the pocket as you pull it out IMO. Oh, I don't use video, so the recent upgrades to the G1 concept don't say anything for me. Why would I upgrade? If Panasonic get more ISO with less noise on the next sensor.

Diane B

Michael, you're exactly right. The G1 with the 20 is quite small. Being a woman I don't 'pocket' a camera often though I occasionally do when wearing a jacket) but can stick either the G1 with 20 or GF1 with EVF (which I never take off) in a small nylon bag and drop in my handbag. I have always carried 2 bodies/cameras when traveling or going out just to shoot so that was partially my reason for buying the GF1 but I do at times just enjoy carrying it whether its the flat no nonsense form, the aesthestics in general--not sure, but I've said since I got it if I could only have 1 m4/3 camera it wouldd be the G1 style body with great EVF, tilt LCD and better ergonomics. I'm more likely to upgrade to GH2 or G2 and keep the GF1 for a good while just as backup.

B

boyzo

Very stylish with reduced size and improved specs.

I would say Panasonic never considered incorporating an EVF its
just not possible to achieve the clean rectangular profile and uniformly slim body with an EVF whilst providing a large 3" LCD and rear controls.

This model and the GF1 is primarily an LCD camera and many (myself included) are quite happy with the LCD.

If you want inbuilt EVF look elsewhere.

Should Panasonic bring out a m43 body somewhat like the old L1 (but much smaller) with EVF and more manual controls, perhaps but they would need more upmarket fast lenses (prime and zoom)

Panasonic is more mass market despite the m43 products becoming very popular with advanced users, I don't see Panasonic as a Leica M wannbee

RichA

No EVF, no sale

Sticking (still) with the G1. Since it's inception, I've seen nothing released that would compel me to trade up.

nugat

a perfect digiback

Two of those and 14mm/2.5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/2.8....for most of my needs (throw in a 100mm c-glass for telephoto)

kwalsh

I'm happy with my G1. Now if the new GH2 sensor tests out with significantly better DR I might bite on that. But a smaller GF2 with the same old sensor doesn't do anything for me personally...

That said, since I'd like to have more and cheaper options for my m43 gear I'm pretty happy with this offering because it seems to me that Panasonic is sniffing out the larger market pretty adroitly in this case. Going very small, hopefully affordable as well, answering the NEX line-up nicely. More volume is better for all m43 users, even if the particular camera body isn't that exciting to a particular individual.

The system is looking pretty strong all things considered - frequent new products, a very broad body lineup, and while it ain't large and still has holes the lens line-up is absolutely huge compared to the competition.

Anyway, nice move by Panasonic I think.

biglouis

A clever move by Panasonic to defend and increase market share but not an upgrade for me - unless the high iso performance is considerably improved (which I doubt). Like Dan, I was hoping for a GH2 in a GF1 body - maybe we'll get that next?

Actually, now I come to think of it - I wonder if they will cease making the GF1? If they do it could make GF1's actually worth something on the 2nd hand market because I think enthusiast photographers will still choose them over the GF2.

LouisB

jonoslack

Preview at Dpreview

Every time there is a new interchangeable camera release one hopes for a better spec . . . . and gets a lower spec. . . . .and it isn't smaller than the Nex either - and it seems to have lost all the nice GF1 controls.:sleep006::sleep006:

This really does seem like a yawn . . . but then, maybe it's just what others want.

V

Vivek

:sleep006::sleep006::sleep006: sounds about right.

Pana maybe thinking too much of themselves?