Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GF2 Official Thread

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

GF2 Official Thread

I am starting a real thread on the GF2 here. From a post from one of our members since he is offline I will copy and paste Brads comments to start

from 43rumors.com...

Thanks to a french 43rumors reader we can show you the very first picture of the Panasonic GF2!!! The picture shows the advertising at “Salon de la Photo” in Paris (the event starts tomorrow). The GF2 looks like the Panasonic LX5! And with the new Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 lens lens it is the smallest mirrorless kit on earth! It has 12 megapixel (The same G2 sensor), records FullHD, a complete new imaging processor, touchscreen and announcement is expected at 6am London time (November 4th). Follow 43rumors! We will keep you updated with all news and previews!
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: GF2 Official Thread

Okay let it rip. Have fun
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks, Guy!

Post Thanks / Like

I was kinda hoping for an internal EVF, ala the L1.
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RonSmith View Post
    I was kinda hoping for an internal EVF, ala the L1.
    So was I. However, this could set the stage for two sorts of models. Ultra small and larger rangefinder type styled "GF" cameras.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    So was I. However, this could set the stage for two sorts of models. Ultra small and larger rangefinder type styled "GF" cameras.
    I can only hope that they do think about the larger rangefinder type styled 'GF', that would be more in line with what I was hoping for with the GF2 . . . . . time and patience . . . . . . and/or other manufacturer or model in the meantime . . . . .

Also a copy of comment made from the original thread:

Thanks Brad for the post . . . . .

. . . . . looking forward to seeing some reviews . . . . . at first glance and from reading the description I am not that excited.

I really love my GF1 and was hoping they would follow the lead of the GH2 with a larger sensor/firmware and an upgraded EVF.

Life is Grand!

Dan
    ~

Post Thanks / Like

Nor am I excited. I do want an EVF so I'll stick with my GF1 with EVF. I may upgrade my G1 but I don't think I'll do it soon. I'm still really wanting one system and I'm going to have to make a decision about my 5D at some point. OTOH, not shooting commercially anymore and not printing much above 13 x 19 these days, I've been reasonably happy with m4/3rds so may decide to stay smaller and lighter and compromise a bit on what I like with FF.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

EVF add on ... or not

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Nor am I excited. I do want an EVF so I'll stick with my GF1 with EVF. I may upgrade my G1 but I don't think I'll do it soon.
    I find the G1 to be a perfect go-anywhere companion. The only thing I missed was making it a little smaller so I finally bought the 20mm f/1.7 for it when in London last week. It's an amazingly good lens, even wide open! This for me is the way to make it more portable; not buying something like a GF and then having to fit an EVF add-on, thus bringing it back almost to the size of a G1 with the constant worry about catching it on the pocket as you pull it out IMO. Oh, I don't use video, so the recent upgrades to the G1 concept don't say anything for me. Why would I upgrade? If Panasonic get more ISO with less noise on the next sensor.

Post Thanks / Like

Michael, you're exactly right. The G1 with the 20 is quite small. Being a woman I don't 'pocket' a camera often though I occasionally do when wearing a jacket) but can stick either the G1 with 20 or GF1 with EVF (which I never take off) in a small nylon bag and drop in my handbag. I have always carried 2 bodies/cameras when traveling or going out just to shoot so that was partially my reason for buying the GF1 but I do at times just enjoy carrying it whether its the flat no nonsense form, the aesthestics in general--not sure, but I've said since I got it if I could only have 1 m4/3 camera it wouldd be the G1 style body with great EVF, tilt LCD and better ergonomics. I'm more likely to upgrade to GH2 or G2 and keep the GF1 for a good while just as backup.

boyzo

Very stylish with reduced size and improved specs.

I would say Panasonic never considered incorporating an EVF its
    just not possible to achieve the clean rectangular profile and uniformly slim body with an EVF whilst providing a large 3" LCD and rear controls.

This model and the GF1 is primarily an LCD camera and many (myself included) are quite happy with the LCD.

If you want inbuilt EVF look elsewhere.

Should Panasonic bring out a m43 body somewhat like the old L1 (but much smaller) with EVF and more manual controls, perhaps but they would need more upmarket fast lenses (prime and zoom)

Panasonic is more mass market despite the m43 products becoming very popular with advanced users, I don't see Panasonic as a Leica M wannbee

Post Thanks / Like

No EVF, no sale

Sticking (still) with the G1. Since it's inception, I've seen nothing released that would compel me to trade up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Think about the GF2 as the worlds smallest true-HD camcorder (1080p at 30fps or 720p at 60fps).

Post Thanks / Like

a perfect digiback

Two of those and 14mm/2.5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/2.8....for most of my needs (throw in a 100mm c-glass for telephoto)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: No EVF, no sale

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    Sticking (still) with the G1. Since it's inception, I've seen nothing released that would compel me to trade up.

Well said!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

. . . . . updated photo at 4/3 rumor

http://www.43rumors.com/category/rumor/

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy with my G1. Now if the new GH2 sensor tests out with significantly better DR I might bite on that. But a smaller GF2 with the same old sensor doesn't do anything for me personally...

That said, since I'd like to have more and cheaper options for my m43 gear I'm pretty happy with this offering because it seems to me that Panasonic is sniffing out the larger market pretty adroitly in this case. Going very small, hopefully affordable as well, answering the NEX line-up nicely. More volume is better for all m43 users, even if the particular camera body isn't that exciting to a particular individual.

The system is looking pretty strong all things considered - frequent new products, a very broad body lineup, and while it ain't large and still has holes the lens line-up is absolutely huge compared to the competition.

Anyway, nice move by Panasonic I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Meh.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Post Thanks / Like

A clever move by Panasonic to defend and increase market share but not an upgrade for me - unless the high iso performance is considerably improved (which I doubt). Like Dan, I was hoping for a GH2 in a GF1 body - maybe we'll get that next?

Actually, now I come to think of it - I wonder if they will cease making the GF1? If they do it could make GF1's actually worth something on the 2nd hand market because I think enthusiast photographers will still choose them over the GF2.

LouisB

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Preview at Dpreview

Every time there is a new interchangeable camera release one hopes for a better spec . . . . and gets a lower spec. . . . .and it isn't smaller than the Nex either - and it seems to have lost all the nice GF1 controls.:sleep006::sleep006:

This really does seem like a yawn . . . but then, maybe it's just what others want.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

:sleep006::sleep006::sleep006: sounds about right.

Pana maybe thinking too much of themselves?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    :sleep006::sleep006::sleep006: sounds about right.

Pana maybe thinking too much of themselves?
    what? - rather than the crew at getDPI - I think you're right there!

Sorry Vivek . . . was I short of snoozies

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kinda baffled why they called it the GF 2 which implies that its an improved GF1 and not something else as olympus did with the EPL-1.

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin, I'd say this naming indicates that this will be the sole direction of the GF line, whereas Olympus will be continuing both E-PL and E-P lines.

Post Thanks / Like

Perfectly happy with my GF1, and would not consider this at all. Maybe in 18 months or so, they will release something that really is an upgrade to the current GF1 body style.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I stil think this opens the door for another style camera. I really don't mind the loss of controls and having to use the touch screen. I am really rolling on the floor laughing that the touch screen interface is looking closer to the Sony interface that everyone laughed at. To me the big miss is making in a fixed screen and not tilting like the NEX or the other G's. Just that bit of tilt changes the way you hold the camera and also IMHO makes using a touch screen easier because it is easier to keep yourself in shooting position when changing settings.

Post Thanks / Like

I stil think this opens the door for another style camera. I really don't mind the loss of controls and having to use the touch screen. I am really rolling on the floor laughing that the touch screen interface is looking closer to the Sony interface that everyone laughed at. To me the big miss is making in a fixed screen and not tilting like the NEX or the other G's. Just that bit of tilt changes the way you hold the camera and also IMHO makes using a touch screen easier because it is easier to keep yourself in shooting position when changing settings.
    I tend to agree with Terry. It does seem to open doors for other models. It seems to address the EPL1 and NEX to me but what do I know LOL.

I also don't think a touch screen without being able to tilt would be very nice to use. I like the NEX idea of tilt.

Not a camera for me but I can see it fitting into their marketing. I hope Amin is wrong and this is not the direction of the GF series OR---a higher end model coming down the road.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very good video for getting a sense of the touch screen here:

http://www.43rumors.com/quesabesde-a...f-our-fingers/

Post Thanks / Like

They shouldn´t have made this camera as a replacement for the GF1, they should have made it into a new cathegory and even smaller...since it seems to be it´s raison d'ętre.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot of people are hoping or were hoping for a Fuji X100 type for the GF1 replacement, but I wonder if a small rangefinder from Panasonic, would in some way affect the Leica/Panasonic relationship. I don't know, but I've wondered about this, ever since the X100 was announced. Hopefully, not, because after seeing the X100 enthusiasm, I think a Panasonic version would be a best seller, if it was priced right.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Very good video for getting a sense of the touch screen here:

http://www.43rumors.com/quesabesde-a...f-our-fingers/

Thanks for the link Terry, a good promotional video for the GF2. I found the review video at the bottom of the page prepared by 'Which.com' to be more informative.

Life is Grand!

Dan
    ~

curious80

It makes perfect sense for Panasonic to release a smaller, simpler and cheaper model - just ignore the fact that it is named as GF2 I am pretty sure that there will be another higher-end compact model later. They probably wanted enough differentiation for that higher-end model that they decided to make that a new line and pushed the GFx down to more entry-level. Just think of GF2 as GFL1 and everything is well

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks good, for all those who wanted smaller, lighter, simpler, cheaper as their thrust for Micro-FourThirds. Obviously that's not going to satisfy those that wanted the other direction of EVF, more capability, better build, etc. I predict some people will be ecstatic and some others bitterly disappointed.

]'-)

Can't please everybody all the time ... And nowadays, given the baseline of digital camera performance reached in the past five years, not every camera has to be an earth shattering breakthrough to be a very successful camera indeed.

I think it's time to get back to Photography. :-)

... "Equipment often gets in the way of Photography." ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is possible that the development of a higher pixel count EVF is happening and that owners of both the GF1 and GF2 will benefit. This is pure speculation, but having a separate EVF allows this kind of innovation without being tied to camera release cycles.

I'll be interested to see the photo quality comparison of the GF1 and GF2 side by side. Right now the LX5 does everything I want a compact camera to do, so there's no GF2 in my future.

Post Thanks / Like

I do wish they had come up with another name for the slimmed down, touch control GF2. The GF1 has become known for it's ability to be enjoyed by more serious photographers, I'm not sure the touch controls on the GF2 allow for such enjoyment by the same audience.

My complaints are just marketing related and hopefully a successor will be forthcoming sometime for the GF1, which I enjoy a great deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Panasonic better keep the pricing at $599 or less if they really want to appeal to the E-PL1 crowd. Still, even if the controls are a bit "dumbed-down", I see this as a decent option for those who own the G or GH line of cameras but want a more compact camera. Hopefully Panasonic can make a lens cap that's a bit smaller this time though

Post Thanks / Like

There are some who will buy anything that is new that comes out. One fellow on the Dpreview groups I know owns over 100 digital cameras. But there comes a point where you really have to ask, "Am I going to benefit from the modest improvement in features offered here?" As for the camera being innovative, IMO, Samsung's idea of putting a camera function button the lens body is clever. I found it very easy to work with. For this new GF, I think it's a higher-end version of the Olympus EPL-1.

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the touch demo video (thanks Terry) and think I could like it but still think a tilt LCD would make it easier/more functional. I noticed in one section that he was using the optional EVF and it looked the same as the current one--which I own. I know some say just buy a G2/H2 if you want an EVF but I DO have a G1 and still like the aux. EVF on my GF1 and just leave it on all the time without any problems. I would sort of hope they would do s better EVF at some point for the GF series but OTOH I wouldn't buy new until/if I would buy a new GF body so....

I hope this is just one additional body for the m4/3 family and that there will be a new body somewhere in between GH2 and GF1.

Another thing-I am, like Dpreview, a bit mystified by partnering the 14/2.5 instead of the 20/1.7. I thought at first it was hitting the FOV of perhaps the X100 or even the X1 but checked and they are both 35mm equivalents. Maybe they did this because so many already own the 20 and wanted to give an enticement to buy the GF2. I admit I was more inclined to buy the GF1 with the 20 paired.

Diane
    Last edited by Diane B; 4th November 2010 at 14:27.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    There are some who will buy anything that is new that comes out. One fellow on the Dpreview groups I know owns over 100 digital cameras.
    I always suspected such people existed.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

I think it's time to get back to Photography. :-)

... "Equipment often gets in the way of Photography." ...

plus 1 for that

it isn't the camera that takes the photo

K

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kevinparis View Post
    plus 1 for that

it isn't the camera that takes the photo

K
    +2
    Yes, indeed, it's the saucepan that takes the photo . . . . . .
    Wow - that was a great meal, you must have a fantastic saucepan

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    +2
    Yes, indeed, it's the saucepan that takes the photo . . . . . .
    That could get in the way as well.

Always eat (or is it shoot) RAW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Another thing-I am, like Dpreview, a bit mystified by partnering the 14/2.5 instead of the 20/1.7. I thought at first it was hitting the FOV of perhaps the X100 or even the X1 but checked and they are both 35mm equivalents. Maybe they did this because so many already own the 20 and wanted to give an enticement to buy the GF2. I admit I was more inclined to buy the GF1 with the 20 paired.
    - New GF2 owners will want the 20mm as a second lens
    - Current m4/3 owners may be enticed to buy the GF2 bundle to pick up the 14mm
    - The 14mm is smaller, so it minimizes the GF2's footprint

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    Hopefully Panasonic can make a lens cap that's a bit smaller this time though
    I found this after I made my comment--they did make it smaller!

http://a.img-dpreview.com/previews/P.../14/14vs20.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

should read carefully

camera looks great

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    should read carefully

camera looks great

. . . . . glad your eyesight improved! I think you were reading the min focus on the side of the lens . . . . .

Life is Grand!

Dan
    ~

Post Thanks / Like

Reading upside down is an acquired skill.
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
    . . . . . glad your eyesight improved! I think you were reading the min focus on the side of the lens . . . . .
    you know, I looked ... looked again ... searched the text on the pages ... and just after posting....

oh well

at least my pants are back up now

Post Thanks / Like

I am really disappointed about Panasonic using the old sensor in this new cam. Why not go for the same 18(16)MP sensor like the GH2?

Sometimes marketing of these companies is a complete mystery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdemas View Post
    I do wish they had come up with another name for the slimmed down, touch control GF2. The GF1 has become known for it's ability to be enjoyed by more serious photographers, I'm not sure the touch controls on the GF2 allow for such enjoyment by the same audience.
    As far as many serious photographers are concerned, ISO, shutter and aperture control are really all that is needed in a serious camera, and the GF2 seems to be fine in that regard. Of course, YMMV.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's a camera. One can attach lenses to it. If the shutter release works, it can probably be used for taking photos. Must be nice then, mustn't it?

Me? Nah... Last time I counted, I had at least 11 thumbs, so the GH1 is more than small enough. One of my regular pushers has a mint OM-3 for just a little bit more. I mean, if I'm going to spend money on something that I absolutely do not need