The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF2; a dumbed down GF1?

J

jevidon

They have come out with the GF2 to replace my GF1, giving in to current dumb-down trends.
The camera is essentially the same, function wise except for the addition of stereo sound and
a more powerful movie function. In exchange, they deleted the function dial on top which I find
very useful on any still camera and went to a touch screen while removing most of the dedicated
buttons. Apparently, they wanted to ape the quirky Sony NEX series.

Too bad.
:(

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'd have to agree, given the first looks I've seen. The sensor is supposed to be improved, but until I see files, I am not convinced...

PS, welcome to GetDPI!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Cannot say anything about the sensor quality of the GH2, but I assume it will be at least as good as Gh1 and give higher resolution. This is just usual with new sensor technologies (BTW not only sensors :))

But with regards to any wheels and operations controls this is a very subjective thing, I do myself prefer wheels above touch screens, but I think we have to accept, that we belong to a kind of dying race :rolleyes:

Just my 5c

monza

Some of these decisions are cost-related, some are marketing-related. Offering a touch screen may actually do both...they probably couldn't reduce size by the claimed 19% without the touch screen.

Last edited:

Audii-Dudii

Panasonic has made a habit of going down-market with their follow-up cameras, as anyone who bought an L1 only to see it replaced with an L10 will attest. :-(

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Some of these decisions are cost-related, some are marketing-related. Offering a touch screen may actually do both...they probably couldn't reduce size by the claimed 19% without the touch screen.
This was in my eyes exactly the wrong marketing decision- They should have gone for 2 GFx2 models, one same size as GF1 with all controls, bells and whistles possible and the 18MP sensor and a cheaper and smaller one like the GF2 they brought now with reduced controls or/and touch screen.

Bloody marketing there :mad:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I personally am glad Panny made the GF2 the way they did.
I'll keep my GF1 and save money by not getting this new ...Uh..Uh upgraded version.
Besides, now the money can go to Fuji for the X100.
Thanks Panny for listening to all the request from your loyal GF1 users.
Shooter

seakayaker

This was in my eyes exactly the wrong marketing decision- They should have gone for 2 GFx2 models, one same size as GF1 with all controls, bells and whistles possible and the 18MP sensor and a cheaper and smaller one like the GF2 they brought now with reduced controls or/and touch screen.

Bloody marketing there :mad:
++1!

. . . . . and an improved external view finder! I do wish they kept the GF series in line with the GH as far as sensor, firmware, and controls . . . . .

The GF1 is fantastic but I'll take a pass on the GF2 . . . . . . can only hope that they come back and do more with the GF series to make me what to come back into the fold.

Life is Grand!

Dan!

seakayaker

I personally am glad Panny made the GF2 the way they did.
I'll keep my GF1 and save money by not getting this new ...Uh..Uh upgraded version.
Besides, now the money can go to Fuji for the X100.
Thanks Panny for listening to all the request from your loyal GF1 users.
Shooter
++1!

The GF2 will most likely be successful for some other market segment but they certainly have turned-off a segment of the GF1 current users.

. . . . . hopefully there is a GF2.5 waiting for a spring release!

I won't be holding my breath . . . . .

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

sagar

I think the camera naming got wrong expectations and all so negative publicity.
If panasonic had called it G-FL1 or whatever it would have received bit warm welcome

From what I have read so far it looks like Panasonic is targeting Olympus E-PL1. And by the naming convestion looks like Pany are moving GFs to E-PL1 level and keeping Gxx lines as higer level.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I know I am the lonely wolf out there, but . .

Ricoh got it right with the GXR. Provide a body with all the features and controls that a serious photographer wants - and provide lenses and sensors as the best technology becomes available.

The lovely new 28mm should be available now. My 50mm macro takes wonderful images. Both lenses with nice large sensors. For my travel kit I also pack the P30 28-300 zoom. If Ricoh introduces the much speculated m-mount sensor only kit, watch out :lecture:

Keith

Terry

The shrinking and loss of some features vs the GF1 doesn't bother me if my premise is right and there is another model coming. I think it is all about addressing each market segment.
Personally, except for AEL/AFL lock button (which the touch screen can brilliantly compensate for), there aren't a lot of external controls that I'm looking for. ISO/WB/shutter speed/aperture/EV are still all external controls. How much more do you really use when shooting (the majority of the time)?

Last edited:

RichA

Snow White and the many mirrorless cameras

This camera is too dumbed-down
This camera is too small
This camera has no EVF
This camera's EVF is too crude
This camera's sensor is poor at high ISO
-and so on it goes. The perfect small-footprint camera has not appeared.
But more are coming. If some intrepid company figures out how to put a high-resolution EVF into a package the size of the GF-1, and produces a really flat pancake lens, then they will be on the right track. The Holy Grail is (IMO) a pocketable camera with interchangeable lenses, configured as above but with the option of using normal sized lenses with fast focus motors.

Godfrey

I can't get into the GF2/compact camera crusade.
I just want to make photographs. I'll carry a brick to do it if I have to. :)

sagar

Even if 10% of internet forum members had such a sense, discussions on forums would have been at totally different level. Most of the folks get infected by gear syndrome (been there done that)

I can't get into the GF2/compact camera crusade.
I just want to make photographs. I'll carry a brick to do it if I have to. :)

J

jevidon

Shutterbug Magazine just reviewed the G2 which has a touch screen. The reviewer complained that fingerprints blurred the clarity of the screen requiring frequent wiping.
He also questioned the longevity of the touch screen compared to simple buttons.
Jim Evidon

M

monkeyking

It seems the functionality of the LVF on the GF2 is compromised since you have to switch to LCD mode to make menu adjustments.
I'll wait for the GF3 thank you very much.

chris

Diane B

Thom Hogan has some interesting predictions for 2011 and since he's often correct, I assume he has good connections in the industry (probably more so with Nikon but....). He predicts a GP version that is closer to what many are talking about in various forums. Whether he has some info or its more a gut feeling from watching the industry for so long I don't know but i'm more than happy to wait since that's what I had planned anyhow. If not Panasonic, maybe Olympus--but a lot of changes in a short time have happened and it seems another year of some of the same.

Tim

Is it just me or are GF1s at absolute bargain prices and make mine worth maybe 1/3 of its original purchase value. Seems sometimes it would be best to stay one model back with your purchases, the lure of the latest is costly. :(