The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Weird sound on Pana 20mm f1.7 lens

A

AsTimeGoesBy

I have read some that this lens is kind of noisy by its nature. However, I just bought one used from a forum and the noise is kind of scary to me (at 0:12). I uploaded the noise of my lens on you tube.

YouTube - Lumix 20mm f1.7 lens noise.wmv

Please tell me whether there should be something wrong with the lens.
Thanks,

MRfanny

what are you shooting on. GF1 internal mic? sounds like a dog panting while someone is turning the focus ring with a worn wrench. that was terrible. on the GH1 where the mics are external it is quiet with a very soft buzz when auto focusing. on manual focus it is dead silent.

V

Vivek

what are you shooting on. GF1 internal mic? sounds like a dog panting while someone is turning the focus ring with a worn wrench. that was terrible. on the GH1 where the mics are external it is quiet with a very soft buzz when auto focusing. on manual focus it is dead silent.
If that is the case, Pana should drop the video function from all these GF, G2, G10, etc.

Jerry_R

If that is the case, Pana should drop the video function from all these GF, G2, G10, etc.
I agree. Or it should mark, that video works only with 14-45, 14-140 and 7-14. Or that with external mic., at least G2, G10.

But from other side - why he should do this, if Olympus is even worse with noise, AF, codec - and still advertises PENs with video :mad:

MRfanny

they aren't doing themselves any favours are they. a work around is to use an external mic into into the audio jack. Not very practical for your average jack and jill on holiday though. I and many others doing video record sound to a dedicated device like a zoom h4n or tascam etc if we want nice clean audio and use the onboard audio to sync. Once again its too much for the average person. The GH1 has a bad habit of boosting noise when its silent, that annoying hissing sound you hear in the background but other than that it produces surprisingly good audio when you are on the run because they are external.