Site Sponsors

Thread: GH1 and maximum video length

Post Thanks / Like

GH1 and maximum video length

Hi

we are considering buying a new video camera here at work, and I mentioned that the GH1 may be a good candidate. One of the camera people here said that the GH1 was limited to 10 min of continuous shooting before a shutdown for 5 min.

anyone know if this is correct? First I've heard of it

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: GH1 and maximum video length

Never heard that before. You can download the manual from the Panasonic website and show it to the people at work. European models sometimes have a 30 minute limit because of import duties levied on video cameras and clips under 30 minutes can still be considered cameras.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e....DMC-GH1K.O#ts

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Hi

we are considering buying a new video camera here at work, and I mentioned that the GH1 may be a good candidate. One of the camera people here said that the GH1 was limited to 10 min of continuous shooting before a shutdown for 5 min.

anyone know if this is correct? First I've heard of it
    How long a single take can be depends upon the capacity of the storage card, the recording format (AVCHD or MOTION JPEG), and the specific format/compression used. This chart from the Panasonic GH1 Instruction Manual (UK version), page 187:

Difference in this chart to the USA version:
    The note at the bottom of the page reads:
    Motion picture recorded continuously in [MOTION JPEG] is up to 2 GB. Only the maximum recordable time for 2 GB is displayed on the screen. [AVCHD] can be recorded to the capacity of the card.*

* The recording may stop even if there is more space left in the card depending on the life of the battery.
    Last edited by Godfrey; 9th November 2010 at 17:52.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks folks ... I found another site which suggested it was a Euro restriction and perhaps applied to Ausi-trail-e-ya too

will recommend we buy from B and aich... or something in the USA :-)

noirist

Vitaly's GH1 hack can remove the Euro restriction on recording length.

Post Thanks / Like

Australia does not have the recording limit. ive got one. there is a recording limit with MJPEG because of file size limit. it is only europe with their cam corder tax laws, if it records longer than 30min it gets the tax. I do alot of videos on my gh1, its a cracker of a camera but be aware that it does suffer from banding at high ISO + underexposure. Maybe hold off till the GH2 is out, it appears to have cleaner ISO performance though there is discussion that its 24Mbit isnt as detailed as the gh1 40Mbit patch. Remember if you decide on getting a gh1, check the serial number if you want to be able to patch it.

the whole shoot for 10mins shut down for 5 is miss information. It does not suffer from overheating, that is something that canon's are known to do.
    Last edited by MRfanny; 9th November 2010 at 22:20.