The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH2 and Zuiko lens line bokeh question

peterb

I've been reading about the GH2 with great interest and noticed, unlike the G1 which I got two years ago (and still adore), that all the SUPERB Zuiko lenses will function normally on it in that the they won't be Manual Focus (like on my G1 with the adapter) but will, indeed, allow full AF (just not continuous but I'm not really interested in that).

I'm a bit of a bokeh freak and, while I've read that in nearly every case the sharpness and contrast of these lenses are simply 'off the charts' I was would love to hear from anyone who's used these fine optics on either the Panasonic G series cameras or any of Olympus' E's or EP's how the 'romantic' quality of the out of focus rendition is on these lenses.

Thanks

seakayaker

Peter, absolutely love your website!

The photographs are wonderful and your talent shines through.

Thanks for sharing!

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Jonas

(...)
I'm a bit of a bokeh freak and, while I've read that in nearly every case the sharpness and contrast of these lenses are simply 'off the charts' I was would love to hear from anyone who's used these fine optics on either the Panasonic G series cameras or any of Olympus' E's or EP's how the 'romantic' quality of the out of focus rendition is on these lenses.

Thanks
In my experience, since the E-510 days, the bokeh of the Zuiko Digital lenses for 4/3 system in general varies between poor and decent. The ZD 50/2 Macro is good (if you can take the LoCA which also is a part of the bokeh). The much fabled ZD 12-60, for example, often shows really bad bokeh, just as the 50-200 (both versions, and also a popular ZD lens).

Somebody will jump in and tell you the opposite... ;)

regards,

/Jonas

peterb

@ Dan...THANK YOU so much for your kind compliments about my website!

Jerry, et. al...Thank you for your responses. That is good to know.

Jonas

People knowing Zuiko 50/2 say that its bokeh is worse than PanaLeica 45mm Macro on u43 bodies.
Yes. I know the ZD50/2 and I agree with those people saying the Panasonic 45/2.8 has better bokeh. Now Peter (the OP) asked about ZD lenses but you are right, I should have mentioned the 45/2.8 anyway in this context.

If one doesn't need the extra stop from the ZD50/2 the 45/2.8 is better, bokeh-wise and in some other aspects as well. I really like the near absence from LoCA.

/Jonas