The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is this goodbye olympus 4/3?

JGH

Do you have a 'protection' filter on? If so try taking it off and your front/rear focus might just go away.

Edit: There's a handy front/rear focussing chart link here and instructions how to use it.

http://forum.warehouseexpress.com/message.asp?FTopicID=3335

(Click the link in the first message)

Chris
ChrisJ, when you say "Protection Filter" are you referring to a sky light filter that screws to the front of the lens? I don't have any filters at all, i was going to get some but now this problem has occured im not spending any more money on accessories.
Thanks for the link. I used that chart initially to confirm the problem after my "walk in the woods" shoot went pear shaped, then i started carring out test shots to confirm the presence in actual photos.
To add to my troubles, my 14-42 lens now will not show F5.6@42mm, it displays F4.6, if you tap the lens it flickers between the two. The EXIF data shows F4.6 & 23mm when its at 42mm, i could understand if i dropped the camera or something but im more careful with it than i am with a box of eggs.

The focus problem is not limited to the 14-42 lens, its on all of them so that is a body fault & now the lens issue, whats next spontaneous combustion???
Im not looking forward to being without a camera for a while, wish i had a credit card now.........actually i think its lucky i don't:)

JGH

Ok, reciept found PHEW!! just got to wait for a response from the shop and send it to them and see what happens.
Currently taking pics (@42mm) of my leathers to stick on Aukro (Czech version of Ebay.) Fingers crossed i sell them, need the cash for some new gear.. :salute: J

JGH

Well the E520 went today, back to the shop and they will forward it onto Olympus.
I dont expect it will be back before xmas and i hope they can sort the issue out.
When it comes back its decision time.....

SergeiR

Check out the Nikon Colour . . . If you like it, then that's fine.
Oh please.. I had this argument oh so many times. And i did use Olympus for few years, since E1 through days of E-3, went through 4 bodies.

There is no visible difference whatsoever, if you set your white balance properly with cameras that got Live View now. You cant tell difference between E-3 or D700, no matter how much you try, without sitting there and doing stupid colour picker on colour passport thingy..

4/3 is great system, but it has its limits and unfortunately Olympus felt like dropping into m4/3 and thus - no more 4/3 bodies for now. I sold most of my Oly gear in past year (i had all Pro and couple of topPro lenses), leaving 510 and 11-22 only, just for the heck of it.

But colour-wise - nothing. Days of "oh its such a great colour" are in past - they left in days of CCD sensors and average colours on other systems. In past two years - you cant really tell diff :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Oh please.. I had this argument oh so many times. And i did use Olympus for few years, since E1 through days of E-3, went through 4 bodies.

There is no visible difference whatsoever, if you set your white balance properly with cameras that got Live View now. You cant tell difference between E-3 or D700, no matter how much you try, without sitting there and doing stupid colour picker on colour passport thingy..

4/3 is great system, but it has its limits and unfortunately Olympus felt like dropping into m4/3 and thus - no more 4/3 bodies for now. I sold most of my Oly gear in past year (i had all Pro and couple of topPro lenses), leaving 510 and 11-22 only, just for the heck of it.

But colour-wise - nothing. Days of "oh its such a great colour" are in past - they left in days of CCD sensors and average colours on other systems. In past two years - you cant really tell diff :)
I could not agree more to this!

JGH

Hello.
I heard today that my E520 is on its way back to me and has been fixed!!
No other details were given. Hopefully it will be with me before the end of the week and i can test it out and see if its focusing correctly. (i hope so, i've been so bored the last couple of weeks).
Made a list of comparisons today between the E30 and D7000 including lenses and im still not sure. Oly lenses are a tad priceir and a few of them go to F2.8, but the Nikkors average at F3.5 and some are cheaper but its a close run thing. I guess at F3.5 you can just up the ISO to compensate for the lack of light, but that then leads to another question...... How often do you use high ISO's. By high i mean beyond 800. If im honest i rarely venture to 1600 on the E520 on the gounds that in poor light (which is when alot of people actually adjust the ISO) the output is....well rubbish. Its cleans up in Noise Ninja but its not great. In good light its ok...ish, so this is why i think im struggling to decide about the D7000 over the E30. Will i use the extra ISO settings?

So back to the question, Who uses ISO over 800 on a regular basis and why?

Thanks J

JGH

:):):) Hi all, well my E520 arrived this evening and i set up the test on the same dusty exercise machine with the same lighting and setting the camera to the same settings. Perfect :thumbup::thumbup: It focused very quickly, no hunting and locked onto the red square i was aiming at. I ran through the focal lengths indicated on the lenses for both the viewfinder and in live view and the results were identicle.
I am a happy man again. Also the 14-42mm lens has been repaired. The strange thing is, i would of thought that Olympus would have some kind of professional focus alignment chart but they sent a copy of photos taken with the focus chart they used and it was the downloadable chart from Tim Jackson. (http://focustestchart.com/chart.html) guess it must be a good chart if Olympus use it to confirm alignment. Well done Tim :clap:

Still not sure what i want. The E30 is very high on my interest list but now i have decided that IF i do go ahead and stay with Olympus, i want the 12-60mm lens, adding this puts the camera up in the same price bracket as the D7000.
BUT, something i have learned over the last couple of weeks is that it is all well and good having a fantastic all singing all dancing camera, but if you couple it to slow average lenses (ie, not pro grade) then all the resolution that the camera can capture will not be utilised and you still end up with soft images. So im more interested in the E30 as 12MP is enough for me, i dont print my pics and if im honest i only do some low light stuff as im more into flash (strobist) lighting and dont really need extreme ISO's.
The pics i have seen from E30's at 3200 ISO are reasonably good and if you run them through noise ninja they can (if the lighting/exposure was correct) look perfectly acceptable. Good lenses from Nikon cost a fortune, but some really good lenses from Olympus are reasonable and within my price range. (not my wifes though, still trying to work out how to get around that)

So i need to keep selling things and saving and then nip down to a camera shop (wife in tow as she speaks the language) and have a look at both cameras.

Im glad my camera was ok and back in time for xmas. We have had about a metre of snow here in the last few days so i want to try and get some time to capture some winter pics.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and advice, this forum is a great place to get help and insperation from and im glad i can be a small part of it.

100% Crops of Pics of focus as it is now.

Thanks again

J :salute:

Godfrey

... happy ending

Good to hear they've repaired it and it's working the way it ought to.

No camera is perfect, the E-520 is a fine piece of equipment. The E-30's better viewfinder is what would drive me there, and the E-5 beyond that.

But the greatest improvement for the least money, given a properly functioning E-520 body, is lenses first. Fit a great lens even on an ancient E-1 and magic happens... !