The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HK SLR Magic 35mm f1.7 native m4/3 MF lens

V

Vivek

Given that it is a complete lens with both the caps and hood, it is a great lens (caveat emptor: I do not own one and do not plan to buy one) for its price.

OTOH, those who are handy, could find a Fujinon-TV 35/1.7 (any version), make a simple modification and add it to a c-mount adapter to use.

V

Vivek

It does look like the Fujinon TV lens you talked about:

stingOM:No, it does not. Fujinon (Fuji corporation) is spelled differently than something else.

The Fujinon-TV 35/1.7 is a high resolution lens and is a spectacular performer on m4/3rds.

V

Vivek

Do you have info on this Fujinon TV lens you are talking about?

I use them on G1s. All were bought used. Google Fujinon-TV 35mm (c-mount lens).

From my own finding, I think it is a special lens. The image circle is perfectly suited for the m4/3rds. It will not cover APS-C though.

PS: Incidentally, the Fujinon-TV 35/1.7 has a 6 bladed (all identical and not "unique") diaphram and forms a clean hexagon shaped aperture when stopped down.

Jonas

As I understand it the SLR Magic lens is a re-branded Fujian 35/1.7. Some small company, perhaps a one or two man band, has machined a new rear end to the lens and then sells it as a µ4/3 lens, which is of course is not. (Just as the Noktor 50mm is a re-branded Senko lens, and not designed for µ4/3 cameras).

The images I have seen have looked good at the center. The focal plane is anything but plane and I haven't seen an image "sharp" from border to border. This can be used for many images but it is different from a traditional, corrected, lens.

User reviews says everything between soft wide open to sharp in the center wide open.

@Vivek, what is the simple modification of the Fujinon lens? Possible at the kitchen table?

regards,

/Jonas

V

Vivek

That is the older version (made in Japan). Nice, tough brass and aluminum helicoid, heavy with 49mm filter threads. It does not need a hood as the elements are deeply recessed. The later versions (performance is similar) are 43mm filter, a bit less heavy and made in China.

Jonas, If I can do it, anyone else can (no exaggerations here). Simply unscrew the rear (diameter of which is too large to mount on a C-mount adapter to reach infinity) aluminum ring. This will reveal the stainless steel screw mount (c-mount) which is lacking support now. Just mark the orientation of the c-mount plus the lens on a c-mount adapter on the camera and (metal epoxy) glue it to the lens. Infinity is adjusted after loosening up the screws on the focus ring. I will see if I can snap some pics to fit the description.