The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New E-PL1s

Terry

Small tweaks to the camera body (ISO 6400).....available in Japan only.

Bigger news for everyone else new redesigned version of the 14-42. Lighter, internal focus for faster silent focus.

Not sure why they bothered with yet another version of this lens instead of something new....

Not much of a news story to link to....but coverage at DPReview.

Amin

I think the lens makes sense. Slow AF was getting picked on in all the reviews, and they had to make it video friendly.

Terry

Yeah but now we are on the third version of the lens and there are still no additional primes or why not go for a 2.8 and make a bolder statement.

Amin

I didn't realize there were already two versions :confused:.

Either way, I agree that there are some real opportunities in the lens lineup. A faster zoom or portrait lens would make a much bigger impact.

Terry

First was metal mount, then they went to the plastic mount version - I forget if there were other tweaks at that point. This is a bigger redesign. It was a needed improvement but there was an opportunity to go further and set it apart by being faster.

Tullio

I really dislike the collapsible design to begin with. Yes, it makes the lens a bit shorter but it is aggravating every time I turn the camera ON I get this message saying that the lens is locked. There's also the issue with vibration at certain shutter speeds causing blurriness. The build of the lens is cheap and flimsy compared to the Lumix 14-45. So, all in all, I agree with Terry that Oly should have changed the lens design altogether.

Jerry_R

Maybe it is good to have choice - cheap worse quality (O) and smaller size vs more expensive better quality, slightly larger (P).

In NEX world you have only cheap and crap regarding lenses.
Pity on 2011 roadmap - there is only ONE ZEISS lens...

B

boyzo

Yeah but now we are on the third version of the lens and there are still no additional primes or why not go for a 2.8 and make a bolder statement.
Put a decent lens on the E-PL1 and it shines IQ is tops in m43

Olympus seem not to want to put out anything special for the Pens instead we get Mums and Dads holiday lenses.

I don't think Olympus see the Pens as a hard core camera the only path are the
Pany PL lenses or the Top Oly SWD lenses with an adaptor but then AF is just so so else there is legacy glass but this is a pain with ponderous manual focus.

retow

Olympus seems to have it all. Capability to manufacture 4/3 bodies with surprising IQ (new E5). Excellent 4/3 pro and semi pro glass. Yet, so far they failed to capture and dominate the market niche for mft pro or semi pro bodies and lenses.