The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RJ Camera's M4/3 to FD adapter problem for Canon FL lens

stingOM

Hi Folks,

I am having a problem with this adapter as it does not fit my Canon FL 58mm f1.2 properly. Mad The reason is that the metal pin for controlling the aperture on the adapter ring is colliding with the back of the lens. The Canon FL lens has a slightly larger metal construction at the back which prevents the adapter from fitting correctly. The pin is too close to the back of the lens causing it to hit the metal housing.

The only way it would fit is to remove the pin from the adapter. If removed, it works but there is another problem. There is now a hole letting light in. So you have twist this a little further to cover the light leak.

Also the lens for some reason focuses past infinity for distant objects even when the lens marking is stopped at infinity.

There seem to be other types of FD adapter available which not cause this problem:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671238

Any thoughts?

photoSmart42

I've had my share of problems with RJ adapters, but never ran into the pin issue you're describing. That's unfortunate. Seems their build quality has really gone downhill from the early versions that worked fine for a number of users.

As for the infinity focus, all cheap adapters focus past infinity, which is also an issue if you're trying to go off the distance scale on your lens. Since they can't or don't want to control the manufacturing tolerances that closely, they go a bit past infinity to make sure the lens can focus all the way. I'm assuming the expensive adapters (novoflex, cameraquest) don't have that issue, but I'm not sure.

Diane B

I have one of the first Cameraquest adapters for FD. It does focus to infinity and not past. My inexpensive Nikon adapter, not RJ, focuses a bit past but I don't use the scale on it anyhow. I have an RJ EOS adapter that I use primarily with an EF TS and as I recall, haven't used it for a bit, it focused to infinity but don't remember if past or not.

The Cameraquest adapter was to work with the FLs also but I don't have any to check. The lens mounted somewhat differently from other later adapters from what others have described. It takes a twist counter clockwise and then clockwise with lever to the left of the pin.

m3photo

Re: FL or FD

I am having a problem with this adapter as it does not fit my Canon FL 58mm f1.2 properly.

There seem to be other types of FD adapter available which not cause this problem

Any thoughts?
Just one: The FL mount is different to the FD mount.

As a side note, Ron Jin is a good communicative guy and if you have a problem with any of his products and he can do anything about it for you, he will.

V

Vivek

As a side note, Ron Jin is a good communicative guy and if you have a problem with any of his products and he can do anything about it for you, he will.
+1

photoSmart42

To be specific, the FL mount (breech lock) is different than the nFD mount (bayonet). The old FD mount is the same as the FL mount, both being breech lock. The registration distance is the same on all FL/FD lenses regardless of the mount.

turbines

Actually there are a number of m4/3s and Nex adapters out there that aren't fully compatible with Canon FL series lenses. The FL lenses I have all have a big hump on the back of them that none of my FD or nFD lenses have. The adapter stop down pin will contact that hump during installation prevent the lens from being in the normal fully flush position so the the breech lock ring can turn and lock. This interference makes installation very difficult because it cause the lens to cock at an angle. Those adapters with round pins can be modified by bending the pin back to about 30 degrees with some needle nose pliers..easy-does-it! When you get it properly positioned the adapter will slip right on the FL series and still be fully compatible with the FD/nFD series. The Rayqual I have could not be fixed because it employees a "L" bracket instead of a pin and it will require redesign or modification in another manner. The Rayqual bracket does appear to be removable. I have emailed Rayqual regarding this problem but haven't had a reply yet. I emphasize that the problem is not unique to Rayqual. FWIW I have found the RJ adapters to represent a very good value. I do not have any RJ adapters for Canon FL presently so I am not sure if they have this compatibility problem.

turbines

Please note that Rayqual does not specify that the Rayqual FD adapters will function properly with the FL series.