The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

video - EP vs GF

pellicle

Hi

not being an experienced video operator I'm not wanting video for my camera. I have been wondering about a GF or an EP-1 as a second camera (for my G1) to allow video

my reading has made things a little clearer and yet a little less clear.

I've read that the EP1 does not allow fully manual operation on video, that it engages auto ISO.

anyone have any thoughts and experiences on which is the better for video (before I go out an get a lumix compact)

I'd like fully manual control of shutter iso and aperture (easy via legacy lenses) and reasonable low light operation, like 800iso.

MRfanny

you can patch your GF1 (depending on when it was made) using the same patch as the GH1 to now give you full manual video controls as well as upped bitrate for better image quality.

ggibson

No, you don't get full manual controls without hacking the GF1. The only control you can implement without a hack is:

- Lock the shutter speed at 1/120 (Panasonic implemented to combat fluorescent lighting flicker I believe). The camera will control ISO and aperture.
- Use a manual lens--now you can control aperture! You can even lock the shutter speed at 1/120 still.

The hack will also let you improve video bitrates.

ggibson

I've been very pleased with the latest version. I have had one issue, but nothing I can't work around (sort of an obscure bug when using a manual lens). You can roll-back the hack if you ever want to do so.

The improved bitrate is huge for some people, but I'm not really tuned into the quality enough to notice the difference.

For me, the big reason to hack was to be able to set the shutter speed at 1/30 or 1/60 so that motion looks smooth. Without the hack, the camera uses as high shutter speeds as possible and everything looks jerky.

If you really want good video though, why not get a GH1 or GH2? It has full manual controls, no need to hack (though there are some other benefits if you do), and you could just replace your G1 body. Is it just wanting to have a smaller second body as well?

pellicle

Hi

thanks for the thoughts ... to answer your question:
If you really want good video though, why not get a GH1 or GH2? It has full manual controls, no need to hack (though there are some other benefits if you do), and you could just replace your G1 body. Is it just wanting to have a smaller second body as well?
yes, essentially its to give me a second body that my wife may find more palatable and we can hand to people at tables in parties without them being confronted by a "professoinal camera"

I want the video for some couple of projects but won't need the high quality as much as the better flexibility of lenses (will probably publish via youtube anwyay). Then my wife wants to take some vids around the house of stuff to send to the grandparents in Finland (probably via DVD)

If the video catches on I'll probably buy a GH1/2 and get my G1 converted to IR (keeping the GF)