The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Panasonic 100-300

henningw

First reviews of this lens were not positive at all. Also, go back to the first page and read a few comments from there.

Joe
The comments about this being a 'crappy' lens came primarily from someone who hadn't used it himself. He made a number of comments without any basis in experience.

I've had the lens since November, and it's a keeper. I'm taking it with the GH2 on a trip to Kenya this fall, when I'm going with a number of other photo types with equipment such as Nikon D700 and 200-400/4, and Canon 1DsIV with 300/2.8 and converters. I also have some longer Canon lenses and various full frame bodies to attach to them and have shot with the above combos, but am choosing to use the GH2 with 100-300 and some other compatible equipment. I don't think I'll regret my choice.

Henning

DHart

Hey Ron... great images, my friend! Very cool. I'm very glad to see that you are enjoying the lens and your camera!

mark1000

Guys, the quality of shots in this thread are just getting better and better, wish i could keep up.

GH2 and 100-300, shot with ETC S mode @ 1400mm EFL and cropped too, resized for the web, exif intact.

Mark.

ecsh

I agree on the quality of this lens. At the time those comments were made, there really was not alot of out in the field customer shots. Now, with the shots on this post alone you can see the quality of this lens.
Joe

Glenn

This lens requires some work to get the best out of it but when you hit the mark, the results are great.Here are a few more seabirds:

biglouis

Glenn, your Puffin shots are awesome. I agree about getting familiar with the lens to get the best out of it. You certainly are!

LouisB

Hauxon

Great shots. Genn what body are you using? Coming from Canon 1DsII I find focusing with my E-P1 a bit confusing compared to traditional DSRL focusing. Keeper rate is ok but I don't feel I have total control of the system.

Hrannar

Glenn

Great shots. Genn what body are you using? Coming from Canon 1DsII I find focusing with my E-P1 a bit confusing compared to traditional DSRL focusing. Keeper rate is ok but I don't feel I have total control of the system.

Hrannar
Hi Hrannar, I use a G1 body and I know exactly what you mean about not being in control of your system, that's why it is important to take loads of photos in as many different circumstances as possible, to find out what works. It isn't easy!!

330toSRT8

Has anyone much experience using the 100-300 on an Olympus body?
I use it on the E-PL1. It's a very large lens to use on such a small body, especially when fully extended. I turn off the in-body IS and use the lens IS; it's much easier to see what you're shooting at max zoom with the lens IS.