The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Panasonic 100-300

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Glenn, Wow!
Louis, really like your backyard bird shots.

This photo was taken hand-held from a rocking boat as we pulled away from Raspberry Island on Lake Superior (Apostle Islands). G3

biglouis

Though both shots are lovely, that female blackbird (?) holding a berry is a real cracker, well done Louis :salute:

Kind regards.
Thanks, I should have added the female blackbird shot (could actually be a juvenile blackbird, I find it hard to tell the difference) is an iso3200 shot.

Lots of amazing pictures in this thread.

LouisB

Annna T

HI,
After seeing so many people happy with this 100-300mm lens, I have decided to order one. I've never had such a reach and will probably never have it with a full dslr system, but with the compact size and light weight of mft, it is a unique occasion to try it.

I'm not a birding person and I got it mainly for landscape photography (granted the lens may not be so sharp, but I've decided to live with it and adapt the choice of subject in consequence).

I've hesitated for a few weeks before taking the plunge, because I don't trust my rather shaky hands. Plus at the bottom of the valley, where I live, there is always a little haze. My best results were using a tripod, or resting my tow elbows on a table or on the windowsills.

Here are some results :

Valère : about 1.7 kilometer away

La Maya : 2916 m (9567 ft), as seen from the bottom of the valley (500m) and on a rainy day :

Chrysanthèmes (looking down to the terrace, one floor below)

I'm quite happy with this lens and thanks both Terry and Big Louis, without reading their numerous comments concerning that lens, I won't have dared to take the plunge, but I'm happy I did, even if the lens isn't so easy to maste.

If you want to know more about the settings which were used you can see them in my gallery at Dpreview : http://www.dpreview.com/members/9037920827/galleries and if you have suggestions concerning how these pictures can be improved, you are welcome (I'm never sure about the choice of tones in the B&W conversions, they often look "muddy" IMO).

Have a nice week-end all and take great pictures !

biglouis

Anna

Great to see your work with this lens. I bought it for birding (I'm no expert I just like trying to photograph them), in fact my main area of work is built environment and landscape. Like you, I was very pleasantly surprised to see the results of using the lens for landscape work. I think you will find it is plenty sharp enough at about f8 which appears to be its sweet spot.

Those are great captures and I hope to see more of the beautiful area in which you live.

Louis

Annna T

Anna

Great to see your work with this lens. I bought it for birding (I'm no expert I just like trying to photograph them), in fact my main area of work is built environment and landscape. Like you, I was very pleasantly surprised to see the results of using the lens for landscape work. I think you will find it is plenty sharp enough at about f8 which appears to be its sweet spot.

Those are great captures and I hope to see more of the beautiful area in which you live.

Louis
Louis,

Thanks for the kind comments; I've seen the pictures you took on your way to work or at lunch time some months ago and I liked them a lot. It was rather unexpected to see you photographing birds after that :)

All the pictures were taken from my window. This is a view of the same mountain shot with a Canon 5D and the 70-200mm F4 zoom at its long end (just to give an idea of the long reach of the 300=600mm) :

and here is a view of the two castles, also shot with the 5D using a focal length of approximately 100-120mm :

The lens is not easy to master, which I expected and I think that I'll need a tripod most of the time. If not, I have to go up to 800 ISO or even higher and I don't like the results. On a tripod, the enemy (apart of the weight) is the atmospheric haze and the wind in the foliage.

biglouis

Ron, the 'in-flight' picture is fantastic.

Anna, interesting to see the compartive view and performance of the 100-300 versus the Canon 70-200, thanks.

LouisB

Annna T

Great work, Anna!

Here are some shots I did this morning with the 100-300 on my GH2.
Hi nice pictures here too; I'm particularly appreciating the first one with the bird in flight and the two last one; of the one before the last, I like the attitude of the bird, it has something particular which the other don't have. Of the last, I find that the reflection makes for a very interesting picture. Great catches..

djonesii

Workshop Member

These are hand held with a camera that I can lug about all day with ease.

For comparison:

Nikon D300 Sigma 120-300 2x TC, Gitzo, Gimbal head.

Knorp

@Ron: you can't beat those herons ! Love the one in flight :thumbup:

@djonesii: I guess this is a hummingbird: what a gorgeous little creature !

Kind regards.

Annna T

Wow.. fantastic pictures there. I love the second one best for its composition and the fact it looks a little mysterious if you don't see the other nearby. The third however I don't like much. As for the first and last, well, they are great.

Congratulations

Annna T

I've read at Dpreview that there was a firmware update to 1.1 for the 100-300mm. Did anyone makes this update here ? I've been following the links offered at Dpreview (starting from the press release), but I always end on a page where the latest firmwares updates are missing. Yet there are frequent mentions of these updates on the global website of Panasonic, but whatever link I follow, I'm always landing on the same outdated page, which doesn't present any new firmwares. Here in succession one series of links among those which I followed :

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1109/11091310panasonicfw.asp
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index.html On this last page, by clicking on the I accept button I land here :
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index2.html , where the most recent updates ascend to december 2010, nothing for the 100-300mm, neither for the 14-42mm which I should also update.

On the preceeding page, there was a link concerning an mft movie camera and if you follow the link you'll find several updated firmwares for other lenses, but not for the 100-300mm and anyway the instructions say that one shouldn't try to install these firmwares with other cameras than the said mft movie recorder..

I have tried following different Panasonic webpages.. but all land on the same outdated page.

Does anyone have a better link for these new firmware updates ? did anyone install this firmware update ?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences if any.

Anna_T

Knorp

Hi there Anna,

I did update my lens to v1.1.
And that fourth link works perfectly alright :confused:
Look for the H-FS100300 and behind it at the end of the line you'll find "Click to the download page".
Click on it and it takes you to the actual download.
At the bottom you'll find versions for both Windows and Macintosh.

Kind regards.

Annna T

Hi there Anna,

I did update my lens to v1.1.
And that fourth link works perfectly alright :confused:
Look for the H-FS100300 and behind it at the end of the line you'll find "Click to the download page".
Click on it and it takes you to the actual download.
At the bottom you'll find versions for both Windows and Macintosh.

Kind regards.
Hi Knorp,

Thank you for your input, but on that fourth link the newer updates were missing for me. May be that I had an older page cached. I'll try another time. I've been able to get to the newer page with the iPad, so it should work with the desktop too now.

Annna T

Last Sunday I made a trip to a little lake, well we name it a lake in the region, but it is more like a pond than a lake. I tried my new 100-300mm and was able to handhold it, at least at its shortest end. Here are some of the pictures I got :

Exploiting the bokeh :

Trying my hands at B&W :

Looking for more abstract patterns :

Even more abstract :

And on a more heavy side :

Thanks for looking !

kweide

Keith, we share same music style and now the same b&w style :) YES is like the "heavy" one most as well.

Come on Annna T, give us more !!!