Site Sponsors

Thread: Olympus M4/3 to go pro

Post Thanks / Like

Olympus M4/3 to go pro

Thats what the rumor site said anyway. Then, there is a lens road map, but curiously no fast 85 1.4 equivalent portrait lens. I never heard of a pro system, without a fast portrait lens( f 2 or 2.8 macros don't count). Maybe the 4/3 and M4/3 system just can't make a fast portrait lens due to the sensor size. They really need a 1.0 lens, due to the D.O.F. increase from the smaller sensor, but 1.4 would help. I wonder why then can make a 25 1.4, but not a 40-45 1.4

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Olympus M4/3 to go pro

Looking back over Olympus Zuiko history, I guess I never realized that they never made anything faster than a 85 and 90 2.0 for portraits. So I guess a pro system can get by without a 1.4 portrait lens, so I stand corrected. However, I still think with the increased DOF of the small sensor, a faster lens is needed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Clay
    If you look back over Zuiko digital history, I think you'll see that they've never made anything faster than an f2 period.
    I don't think the original telecentricity 'rules' really allowed for it (everyone else has cheated).
    all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Clay
    If you look back over Zuiko digital history, I think you'll see that they've never made anything faster than an f2 period.
    I don't think the original telecentricity 'rules' really allowed for it (everyone else has cheated).
    all the best
    Hi Jono. I guess I wouldn't mind them cheating, if Panasonic can make the 20 1.7 work pretty good, then I say, bring on a 40 1.2 and cheat like hell.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You can always use the Voigtländer 50mm f/1.1 with an adapter. Manual focus and slighty longer than a 85mm equivalent, but it's really excellent, and much cheaper than the current crop of fast 85mm lenses from the major manufacturers.

I've been wondering why we haven't seen a "pro" m43 camera from Olympus already. One reason may be that there are no lenses to match, neither zooms nor primes. We might see a launch of a camera and 3-4 lenses at the same time. Only a "pro" camera with no new lenses would be meaningless for those not wanting to use legacy lenses with adapters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    You can always use the Voigtländer 50mm f/1.1 with an adapter. Manual focus and slighty longer than a 85mm equivalent, but it's really excellent, and much cheaper than the current crop of fast 85mm lenses from the major manufacturers.

I've been wondering why we haven't seen a "pro" m43 camera from Olympus already. One reason may be that there are no lenses to match, neither zooms nor primes. We might see a launch of a camera and 3-4 lenses at the same time. Only a "pro" camera with no new lenses would be meaningless for those not wanting to use legacy lenses with adapters.
    Hi Jorgen. I don't know what it is about a 100 mm focal length, but I had the 100 2.0 when I had the 5D and just couldn't grow to like it. I much prefer to be a little closer to the subject, so 75 to 85 is what I prefer. I see a lot of people use MF 50's with M 4/3, but doing manual focus and using a 100 mm equivalent is sort of a double negative for me.

raymondluo

I'm excited for a pro-bodied olympus, I have the GH-1 and in good time and reasonable discounts that will be IR-modded for B&W. I hope to own an olympus for two main reasons; they produce excellent jpegs images and built-in image stabilization will add up nicely to my incoming voigt 0.95.

I'm hoping it's going to be weather proofed/ or at least resistant, it's what olympus is great for- which means for once I will be able to hold a m4/3 camera with confidence.

But if they still maintain an external plug-in EVF, that's almost a deal breaker. Once upon a time I had a E-P2 but wasn't very happy with it at all. I kept fumbling with it, the EVF was such a turn off. Whether they maintain it's compact size won't matter much to me. Mirrorless cameras are compact enough that it's tethering on bad ergonomics.