The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH2 video - must read

bradhusick

Cool feature, but because it doesn't have continuous autofocus in video mode, I bought a Panasonic TM700 camcorder that shoots full HD 1080p 60fps with full autofocus for shooting moving subjects. It's the only camcorder out there that will do that frame rate at 1080p.

MRfanny

its a brilliant feature, especially for using with fast old cmount tv zooms and not to mention macro as well as zoom lenses. you guys should check out the actual clips floating around testing this feature...amazing. I can't wait to get my hands on one. Its a buzz in the video community right now.

The Gh1 and im sure the GH2 does have continuous autofocus when used with the 14-140mm lens though i wish it could track objects. dont understand why they dont implement that considering that they are doing touch screen focusing now.

Last edited:

Riley

there have been a number of video discussions at the den of death on dpreview forums of late, where cinematographer John Brawley has entertained us on his ideas of video, 4/3rds, mFT and all that.

In these discussions which encompassed the utility of numerous formats, it became obvious to me that 4/3rds had universal use potential, being quite close to 35mm movie film (which is a lot smaller than 135 film), and therefore being capable of shooting the better UWA lenses that professional movie productions require. Below is an example of the 4/3rds sensor (for AG-AF100) with a 35mm movie film gate next to it, along with a collection of Olympus SHG glass and Zeiss cine lenses.

As an aside, there have also been rumours about a format known as Super 4/3rds, which I have always taken as simply a larger 4x3 sensor for 4/3rds still cameras, but now Im having second thoughts. Brawley mentioned that the movie feature The Hurt Locker was shot on 16mm film, when I looked it up it was actually Super 16 Fuji film, cheap enough to run several cameras at once, and enough DoF control to satisfy the Hurt Lockers shooting environment.

Super 16 has a film gate a wider aspect ratio of 1.67 and a camera aperture of 12.52 by 7.41 mm. The question Ive been asking myself is, is there a relationship with this form of format naming, is there then a video format in the wings, Super 4/3rds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16_mm_film
http://www.johnbrawley.com/

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Very cool -- thanks for pointing it out Terry. While i plan to get a GH2, I have no immediate plans to do video yet, I just don't know anything about it.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>but because it doesn't have continuous autofocus in video mode

The GH1 actually does with the right lenses (so the GH2 too). It may not follow fast enough in some situations. The TM700 and GH2 are very different beasts. I have both the GH1 and TM700.

ustein

Contributing Editor
I think the noise of AF, and the risk of it hunting would be problematical.
The 14-140 is silent. Not sure about the other lenses. Also the 14-140 got recently updated (via firmware) to focus faster.

MRfanny

on another gh2 note which may be off the beaten track. with HDMI output now available, do any of you guys think there is a possibility to have that ability to shoot stills and have it sent directly to the laptop thingy? It would be a very nice feature to have.