Site Sponsors

Thread: macro rail thingy recommendations please

Post Thanks / Like

macro rail thingy recommendations please

hey everyone,

just wondering if anyone can recommend a not so expensive macro rail thingy that allows you to adjust forward back as well as side to side. I have seen some on ebay like this one but don't know how steady/solid they are.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4-way-Macro-F...item1e585e3ee4

had my first taste of macro and want to explore it abit more.

cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: macro rail thingy recommendations please

Hi, MrFanny,

that's exactely the focusing rail I'm using
    Steady ? Depends on the weight of the camera-lens combo you're putting on it. Works fine for me if FL less than 135mm (Nikkor MF lenses), above it is not stable enough.

Biggest drawback : difficult to fix the camera because of the position of the screw, as you can see in the pic.

Otherwise, fine item for the prize !

C U
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rafael, yeah i was concerned about that top level and how it protrudes. I'll be throwing an 85mm + extension tubes on it so it is abit front heavy. I think I'll try it out though for the price.

Quick question for ya, will i get better macro with say a dedicated 1:1 90mm or 100mm macro lens than my present setup of 85mm+extension tubes?

cheers
    Muc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I couldn't help you on the extension tube question, Muc. I use them very seldom.

C U
    Rafael

PS : the focusing rail is great for pano-shots !
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

overmywaders

I have one of those rails and find it quite useful for macro in the UV, because after focusing in visible light, you can make an easy compensation for the focus shift so common in UV.

I also use plenty of extension tubes and helicoids. Here is one, made for M42 mount, that offers both helicoid, extension tubes, and tripod mount -

Of course, you can also use bellows mounted on the rail and get decent balance that way.

I find that once you get above 180mm, most of the old lenses will provide a tripod mount. Mount the lens on the rail, then stick the camera on the lens and it will balance well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f6cvalkyrie View Post
    PS : the focusing rail is great for pano-shots !
    +1. That's what I use mine for as well. I do most of my macro work free-hand in the field, and using the bellows in the studio. The macro rails work very well for pano shots once you set your pivot point at your lens' nodal point.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Post Thanks / Like

yeah i dont think ill be using anything over 100mm. what I've got to play with now is an zeiss 85mm+extension and a soon to arrive tamron 90mm 1:1 macro, not sure which will give a closer shot. don't know the maths behind it. pair that with a GH2 down the track with telecrop and it should be quite enough for some interesting bonus video work.

using it for pano's is another bonus. never done it before, a good reason now to give it a shot =)