The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon EOS lens adapter with aperture included.

photoSmart42

It's better than nothing, but probably isn't as good as being able to adjust the aperture on the lens itself. But then again, the adapter that allows you to do that will cost about $700...

pellicle

Hi

cute find ... thanks :)

What are your thoughts on an adapter that has an adjustable aperture included?
well I see you have a collection of EF lenses, so if you were wanting to add a G1 body to the bits you carry then you'd get some advantages. I mean I often think that a G1 makes a really excellent x2 teleconvertor (effectively speaking)

On the other hand (for me) I think its pointless because if I was carrying around the bulk ans size of some of the larger EF lenses then a 20D would work better as a "teleconvertor" (assuming you use full frame).

In this situation the advantages of the m4/3 compactness largely become unbeneficial.

In terms of reliablity, sure, should be fine, it is after all just an iris ... I doubt it will have F stops written on it as the F stop will be a different diameter depending on the focal length.

:)

mazor

wow, that adapter is amazing!

I know its a 4/3 forum, but hope they release it for the nex as well. I have the 50mm f1.2 It would be awesome to mount it on another camera body thats not canon, and yet it fully working in terms of aperture.

bigs

Diane B

I do have a collection of EF lenses and have shot with them on m4/3 (G1 and GF1). I decided that if I wanted to use those lenses I'm better off using with my 5D. Then, I don't care at all about tele shooting.

That adapter is getting no love on various forums with some saying that it isn't going to work well and citing a number of reasons which I won't go into.

Hi

cute find ... thanks :)

well I see you have a collection of EF lenses, so if you were wanting to add a G1 body to the bits you carry then you'd get some advantages. I mean I often think that a G1 makes a really excellent x2 teleconvertor (effectively speaking)

On the other hand (for me) I think its pointless because if I was carrying around the bulk ans size of some of the larger EF lenses then a 20D would work better as a "teleconvertor" (assuming you use full frame).

In this situation the advantages of the m4/3 compactness largely become unbeneficial.

In terms of reliablity, sure, should be fine, it is after all just an iris ... I doubt it will have F stops written on it as the F stop will be a different diameter depending on the focal length.

:)

agoglanian

I hope to add a GH2 to my lineup in the future and I figured I have all this wonderful Canon glass that could be used for video purpose (mostly on a tripod).

Tesselator

I bet anything this adapter will not work. An iris needs to be at a fairly specific location relative to the nodal point in the light path to affect DOF correctly or at all - AFAIK. In all cases except a mirror lens this is in front of the rear element. Many zoom lenses even adjust the position of the IRIS as you zoom the lens in and out in order to accommodate these facts.

So if I'm not mistaken all this thing will do is increase the vignetting and lower the exposure values. It won't cure the softness and/or CA that wide open fast lenses often exhibit and it won't affect DOF as it should either.

I hate to be the naysayer here but this thing seems like a bad joke to me.

Of course everything that I thought I understood up until now could all be wrong and it'll work just fine. Hehehe... There's always that possibility. ;)

Last edited:

agoglanian

I agree in being suspicious of it. I've no idea if it would work. I'll let Andrew over at EOSHD try it out first and wait for his report.

pellicle

Ouh ... stop it ...

I do have a collection of EF lenses and have shot with them on m4/3 (G1 and GF1). I decided that if I wanted to use those lenses I'm better off using with my 5D. Then, I don't care at all about tele shooting.
I've been trying to convince myself I don't need a 5D ... you see especially that you add that you don't care about tele shooting reminds me that my 21, 24 and 50mm lenses are just crying out to me to be used on the larger frame size.

for me 50mm is the turn around point, after that the same "view" looks better (to me) on the 4/3 format, but for shallow normals and shallow wides the larger capture frame just rocks.

f2.8 on a 24mm may vignette a little but getting that big aperture and shallow DoF when focused closer just doesn't exist yet on the smaller frame. Sure I have a 12mm f1.3 which I use on the G1, but it doesn't cover the 4/3 frame.

hot

I am using my Canon lenses also with GH1, NX10, NEX5 ...

Either they have manual aperture - or I can fix each aperture with each lens (using Canon body).
An expensive adapter with manual aperture is not necessary (for me) - I would need such an (expensive) adapter for each camera. And it is not necessary for my Canon Samyangs - very good lenses with manual aperture (best solution).

Jonas

I think it works.
Judging from al those experiments people have done with adding "baffles" to their FF lenses in some vague hope it should lessen the veiling flare... only to discover what they have done is effectively having stopped the lens down.
I don't have any EF lenses anymore. I can however see a use with the adapter together with some Zeiss C/Y lenses and combined with a C/Y->EF adapter.

Diane, what's the reason not to go into the negativities? Or, maybe better, do you have a link to a forum discussion where the adapter gets no love for a real reason and not only because of speculations?

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
It would seem odd to me that an experienced adapter maker like Kipon would not have put this device through thorough testing without putting it out to market. I think it will work.

Keith

Jonas

I'm often wrong, lol.
The Zeiss C/Y lenses I was thinking oar of course longer than 11mm... and the baffle experiments have all been about 50 and 85mm lenses. I'm sure the Kipon adapter works with such lenses. I also think Kipon should mention with (some?) super wide angle lenses.

Diane B

I think it works.
Judging from al those experiments people have done with adding "baffles" to their FF lenses in some vague hope it should lessen the veiling flare... only to discover what they have done is effectively having stopped the lens down.
I don't have any EF lenses anymore. I can however see a use with the adapter together with some Zeiss C/Y lenses and combined with a C/Y->EF adapter.

Diane, what's the reason not to go into the negativities? Or, maybe better, do you have a link to a forum discussion where the adapter gets no love for a real reason and not only because of speculations?

Jonas, it is mostly speculations LOL. However, Philip Bloom, the terrific videographer, has one coming and he's excited about using it primarily on his Panny camcorder with his EF lenses. He did say that it's best not greatly stopped down. I'll have to check his blog and when I find a link to his assessments I'll post it. I do have some EF lenses still for my 5D so I'm not dismissing it out of hand but I do prefer to mount my FDs and Nikkors to my G1 rather than my EOS with my RJ adapter and that's not even considering the aperture issues.

Another thought. It would make it more feasible to carry my G1 or GF1 as backup for my 5D though.

Diane

Jonas

Jonas, it is mostly speculations LOL. However, Philip Bloom, the terrific videographer, (...)

Another thought. It would make it more feasible to carry my G1 or GF1 as backup for my 5D though.
OK, and Yes, respectively.

Cheers,

/Jonas

Tesselator

I'm often wrong, lol.
The Zeiss C/Y lenses I was thinking oar of course longer than 11mm... and the baffle experiments have all been about 50 and 85mm lenses. I'm sure the Kipon adapter works with such lenses. I also think Kipon should mention with (some?) super wide angle lenses.
I'm almost 100% positive that it will not work with any lens - no matter the focal length. For an iris diaphragm to affect DOF and/or Spherical Aberration (SA) is must be located in the light path between the entrance pupil and the exit pupil. I think it has to be in "nodal space" between the "frontal principal node place" and the "rear principal node plane". Placing it after the exit pupil (outside the lens system), will only cause vignetting - by everything I know about lenses (which actually isn't all that much :)). It might be an extremely soft vignetting and the darkened areas may seem "different" but they are only darkened. If you just want darkening then use a neutral density filter. :) The designers of this adapter might have been better off creating a rear filter holder in their adapter instead of this thing. :p

As I mentioned before zoom lenses even use a floating iris diaphragm to ensure that the blade edges will be located in the correct position within the light path.

One cannot just stick an iris in front or in back of a lens and expect it to work like one that's internal.

I guess this goes to show that someone can be a "terrific videographer" and not know #$%@ about optics. :)

Last edited:

Diane B

It does appear that he has it and is using it if you read the post because he discusses the issues but still thinks it's worthwhile. He can get infinity and close focus but says not to stop down past f6---and more. I've followed his blogs for a good while on gear, lenses, camera bodies and he doesn't use it if it doesn't work for him. He also mentions there are other adapters coming that may not have some of these issues but this is the best available for now.